Page 205 of 259 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209215255 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 3879

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    I like the ACA, I just think that pushing for more before the public comes to accept the current changers is self-destructive. In politics sometimes baby-steps are necessary since the voters hold the final word and getting too far ahead of them is dangerous.
    Saying 50% of the country is against health reform is not accurate. Maybe 50% aren't happy with the bill as it is written, but a hefty portion of those who are not happy with it actually wish it did more. The people who think we need something better than what we have far outnumber those who don't. Kind of like the Republicans misguided belief that when Obama's approval rating drops below 50% it's because the majority of the nation is more conservative than him. Plenty of people find him too conservative.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Support For Repealing Obamacare Plunges To An All-Time Low
    Now that President Obama has been elected to a second term, political opponents of his landmark health care reform law are beginning to concede that Obamacare is here to stay. And the general public agrees.

As a new Kaiser Family Foundation poll reports, the majority of Americans don’t support repealing Obamacare. In fact, after the presidential election, the number of Americans advocating for a full repeal of the health reform law dropped to an all-time low at just 33 percent — compared to nearly half of Americans who would rather keep the law in place:

[...]
    Boehner Reverses Course, Promises To Repeal Obamacare Through ‘Oversight’
    After President Obama’s decisive re-election, House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) starkly admitted that “Obamacare is the law of the land.” Facing backlash from fellow Republicans and critics of the landmark health reform law, the Speaker’s office softened that stance, asserting that “full repeal” still remained the GOP objective. But with the Supreme Court’s decision to uphold the bulk of the law, Democratic control of the Senate, and President Obama’s victory, some have wondered what — if any — recourse Republicans have at the federal level to undo Obamacare.

On Tuesday, Boehner explained how, exactly, Republicans would go about dismantling the law in an op-ed on Cincinnati.com. In his piece, Boehner contends that House Republicans will conduct “vigorous oversight” of the law’s implementation in an effort to neuter its provisions:

The tactics of our repeal efforts will have to change. But the strategic imperative remains the same. If we’re serious about getting our economy moving again, solving our debt and restoring prosperity for American families, we need to repeal Obamacare and enact common-sense, step-by-step reforms that start with lowering the cost of health care. [...]

Congress has a constitutional responsibility to conduct thorough oversight of the executive branch, and congressional oversight will play a critical role in repealing Obamacare going forward.

Over the past couple of years, I have noted there are essentially three major routes to repeal of the president’s law: the courts, the presidential election process and the congressional oversight process. With two of those three routes having come up short, the third and final one becomes more important than ever.

Vigorous oversight of the health care law by the House can be expected and, in fact, is already under way. The House Ways & Means Committee recently issued a subpoena directing that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services turn over any and all information regarding how taxpayer dollars have been used to promote Obamacare.

“Oversight,” as Boehner uses it, is basically a code word for obstruction. This isn’t exactly surprising — after the election, ThinkProgress reported that the GOP would still try to stall Obamacare implementation through a combination of holding up the law’s funding for Americans’ insurance subsidies and statewide insurance exchanges, Republican governors’ refusals to expand their states’ Medicaid pools, and GOP efforts to repeal Obamacare’s revenue sources and cost-containment measures, such as its taxes on large medical device manufacturers and the Medicare Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB).

Although Boehner does not mention any such specifics in his op-ed, in the absence of a way to fully repeal the law, these are the types of provisions that the GOP will most likely conduct their “oversight” on. But recent polls have shown that public support for repealing Obamacare is plummeting, making such GOP tactics a waste of time at best and bad policy for Americans’ health and financial security at worst.

It is a practical political argument, the ACA hasn't even broken even in public popularity yet, pushing for far more radical plans is self-destructive.
    No, it's not a 'practical argument', it's trying to sell shite to wankers. It shows a complete contempt for people and the idea of universal healthcare,

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    And while you're thinking of England, think about how much better their healthcare system is.
    The NHS represents the entire UK, not just a part of it.

However there is a point to be made that the NHS has become worse with greater privatisation of services. Funny that.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    No, it's not a 'practical argument', it's trying to sell shite to wankers. It shows a complete contempt for people and the idea of universal healthcare,
    Is shows aq basic understanding of the US political process and what is achievable within that process
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Is shows aq basic understanding of the US political process and what is achievable within that process
    Didn't you want Obama to force through a nationwide legalization of gay marriage through executive order pretty much immediately after he took control of the Whitehouse?

It is a practical political argument, the ACA hasn't even broken even in public popularity yet, pushing for far more radical plans is self-destructive.
    There's probably some states where interracial marriage still hasn't broken even either.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Soapdish View Post
    I think that you owe Jeff a cookie.
    I am vindicated! I demand my fucking cookie!

Also, anyone who thinks "less than a billion" is trivial should talk to PBS or a public school teacher.
    Last edited by Jeff Brady; 11-22-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    There's probably some states where interracial marriage still hasn't broken even either.
    the danger of putting civil rights on ballots for voting.

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    Didn't you want Obama to force through a nationwide legalization of gay marriage through executive order pretty much immediately after he took control of the Whitehouse?
    No, whatever made you think that? He simple doesn't have the power to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    I am vindicated! I demand my fucking cookie!

Also, anyone who thinks "less than a billion" is trivial should talk to PBS or a public school teacher.
    If you think that a billion dollars is not trivial in relation to the defense budget then you are simply not paying attention, that is ONE airplane and less that one large ship

Obviously, this blue part here is the land...

From June:

The poll found that a large number of Americans - including about one-third of Republicans and independents who disagree with the law - oppose it because it does not go far enough to fix healthcare.

Seventy-one percent of Republican opponents reject it overall, while 29 percent feel it does not go far enough, while independent opponents are divided 67 percent to 33 percent. Among Democratic opponents, 49 percent reject it overall, and 51 percent wish the measure went further.

"If you add the people that oppose it because they think it doesn't go far enough, you get a majority of Americans, so it doesn't mean that healthcare reform is dead," Jackson said.

So those who argue that we shouldn't push for more reform because half of the country doesn't like Obamacare are either misinformed or intentionally misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    The NHS represents the entire UK, not just a part of it.

However there is a point to be made that the NHS has become worse with greater privatisation of services. Funny that.
    Is it too late to get back in on that whole Colonies thing?
    My mom gave my computer cancer.

If you think that a billion dollars is not trivial in relation to the defense budget then you are simply not paying attention, that is ONE airplane and less that one large ship
    Yes, I know, a drop in the ocean. I still made my point and I still want my fucking cookie.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

If that's the case then what's all the outrage about cutting the defense budget by a billion? It's trivial right? A drop in the bucket.