Page 187 of 258 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197237 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 3870
    Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    Ive seen the opposite here in the northeast
    Same here. I'm seeing more confederate signs (and they may mean something in the South, but it's entirely different around here), hearing about more of my friends getting yelled racial slurs, and more.

And no, racists aren't reluctant to use the N-word. They just know when and where to use it now.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Eight More Ways Women Will Benefit Under Obamacare Starting Tomorrow
    When eight Obamacare regulations go into effect tomorrow, 47 million women will benefit from the guaranteed coverage of preventive services — including contraception coverage — without co-pays. The new rules will require most insurance plans to begin including the services at no additional cost at the next renewal date that falls on or after August 1, according to a news release from the Department of Health and Human Services.

The Center for American Progress graphic breaks down what will be covered and how women will benefit:

But even as millions of women will benefit from even more provisions of the Affordable Care Act, nine states are attacking the contraception coverage requirement because of the claim that the provision violates religious liberty. Even though President Obama announced an “accommodation” for religious institutions so that the employer does not have to pay for the birth control coverage, states have considered legislation or ballot measures to either reject the federal regulation or undermine contraceptive coverage in state law. And ongoing challenges against the contraception regulation continue in federal courts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    Same here. I'm seeing more confederate signs (and they may mean something in the South, but it's entirely different around here), hearing about more of my friends getting yelled racial slurs, and more.

And no, racists aren't reluctant to use the N-word. They just know when and where to use it now.

No, the Confederate Flags mean the same thing in the south. It's racists hiding behind some horseshit 'Southern Pride'.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    No, the Confederate Flags mean the same thing in the south. It's racists hiding behind some horseshit 'Southern Pride'.
    I think you are right, but people swear up and down to that whole "Southern Pride", "State's Rights", and "Confederacy wasn't about racism/slavery" stuff, and I didn't want to bother with that useless argument.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post

so this evening, I ran out to put some gas in my car and get some ice cream...there's an ice cream shop like 5 minutes down the road that I have been going to since I moved to the area as a teenager, and when I moved back I started going there again...I know the people who run the place so its not like a place I wouldn't normally go to

so I go and get some ice cream and its busy, as its nice weather, and as Im walking out I hear someone say "I didn't know they allowed n****rs in here"

I live in Connecticut

we are not as forward thinking and civil as we'd like to think we are
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    so this evening, I ran out to put some gas in my car and get some ice cream...there's an ice cream shop like 5 minutes down the road that I have been going to since I moved to the area as a teenager, and when I moved back I started going there again...I know the people who run the place so its not like a place I wouldn't normally go to

so I go and get some ice cream and its busy, as its nice weather, and as Im walking out I hear someone say "I didn't know they allowed n****rs in here"

I live in Connecticut

we are not as forward thinking and civil as we'd like to think we are

LOL, I live in Connecticut too so I know what you mean. CT just ain't the place people picture it as, in numerous ways.

But yeah, it's most definitely a problem, because I've dealt with similar stuff in five states (CT, NY, WV, MA, NJ). It's just that people used to put a little more effort into being subtle about it. Like obvious racism is coming back in style or something.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I like "Barry" in at least one respect. It's a huge improvement over what many white people would have called Obama in the past. Racism is still around, but it has become sufficiently unpopular that racists are now reluctant to use the N-word in public.
    I always looked at "Barry" as secret code for N-Word by people who have a seething rage that they can barely keep from boiling over.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    I always looked at "Barry" as secret code for N-Word by people who have a seething rage that they can barely keep from boiling over.
    same here...Ive always seen it like that
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    There is a racist history in this country of calling black people by their first name and not their family name. Never Mr... or Dr... It was the equivalent of "boy". Probably goes back to slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    There is a racist history in this country of calling black people by their first name and not their family name. Never Mr... or Dr... It was the equivalent of "boy". Probably goes back to slavery.

Wow, that's a new one to me.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

I call everybody I know by their first name (unless that might lead to confusion, like when hanging around multiple friends named Dave) if I know it. I consider that to be more friendly and less formal. If somebody were to flip out and accuse me of being racist, they can go to hell.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I call everybody I know by their first name (unless that might lead to confusion, like when hanging around multiple friends named Dave)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b-N28eG2go
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

I've never seen a correlation. Generally, first names are used in preference to surnames among everybody that I know. Even the adults I know ask children to call them by their first names.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I should clarify, i don't mean friends and acquaintances. It was more of people in authority calling black people by there first name.

Cop on the street: "What's your name boy."

Black man: "I am Dr. Louis Cooper."

Cop: "Well Louie, ...."

Like that.

So the President is "Barry" now.

I think you're equating disrespect to a definite indicator of racism. Disrespect may indeed be a symptom or tool of a racist, but it doesn't necessarily always imply racism. I've seen things like your example in non-racial situations, plenty of times.

Sometimes disrespect is simply disrespect.

EDITED to add:

Nor am I dismissing the possibility that this particular use of "Barry" is racially motivated.

Just that it's not worth the pages of dialog devoted to it.
    Last edited by Dreadstar; 08-01-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.