Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Simone View Post
    I liked it a LOT. I know I'm gonna get killed for this, but I thought the Wonderdome was an awesome idea, and I'd bring it back in a second if I could.
    I liked what Diana did with it in the end, but I hated that it became her floating Fortress of Solitude and took her away from some of the great characters in Gateway City and Boston. The Wonder Dome was my biggest qualm with Luke's run, which I liked immensely for the most part. There were new and powerful villains introduced (who need to make a return!), Diana regained a little bit of her independence, Wonder Girl was made an honorary Amazon after intensive training from Artemis, and Wonder Woman's relationship with Superman and Batman was defined.

~ Hype
    We didn't choose to be what we are. And it could be argued that this life choose us. We live it. With all its changes & challenges.
    Donna Troy, Graduation Day

The voice in your head Shatagni's Avatar

While I'm not a fan of the Wonderdome, I do like the idea of a sentient Invisible Jet. Now here's someone who should come back on Blackest Night, who's with me?

I liked it a LOT. I know I'm gonna get killed for this, but I thought the Wonderdome was an awesome idea, and I'd bring it back in a second if I could.
    It was a grea idea.

Batman has the Batcave; Superman has the fortress. Why shouldn't Diana have a little place of her own?

Rama and the Hindu pantheon
    Doctor Poison updated
    Cronos and his children

All great ideas and well executed. I hope they don't linger in limbo forever.

I really enjoyed Eric's run and Yannick Paquette's art was excellent. Spectacular Adam Hughes covers were an added bonus. It's true that neither Eric nor Yannick (who was only involved for around 12 issues) get very much credit for their contribution to they mythos.

Things that stand out in my memory were him bringing Diana back to Earth from her lofty position as a Goddess, restoring the Greek Gods and of course Devastation, who I would love to see brought back into the rogues gallery. I also remember his Diana as being quite lonely and his writing at times being quite touching as he dealt with the emotional side of Diana's life.

The WonderDome was pretty good in concept but I felt it was a tad over-used (I don't think she should have actually lived there 24/7) and I aso agree it shouldn't haven got involved in fighting for her.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    All great ideas and well executed. I hope they don't linger in limbo forever.
    Good luck. I don't think we'll ever see any elements of Luke's run return, unfortunately.

Stiff upper lip, chaps. Mars Getsoian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    It was a grea idea.

Batman has the Batcave; Superman has the fortress. Why shouldn't Diana have a little place of her own?
    She does. It's called Themyscira. When she's in Man's World, the Embassy is a fair substitute.

I really liked Luke's run. Only good romance Diana's ever had, incredibly gorgeous character design, some great work with Cassie and Artemis that really helped ground both characters in the franchise (Temi particularly), vigorous and jubilant use of the divine, epic mythology that Diana's heir to, and did I mention "only good romance Diana's ever had," because that's a pretty amazing accomplishment right there.

He did seriously overuse Devastation, who was never a good Wonder Woman badguy to begin with (she'd make a good rogue for Cassie, though), and he had some weird fits and starts, and I was never fond of the Wonderdome either as a fortress of solitude (Diana doesn't want solitude, she wants to go home to her loved ones) or a deus ex machina, but on my list of "why the hell isn't this stuff in trade yet" Luke's run is still right below the second half of Perez'. Too much good stuff there to miss.
    Last edited by Mars Getsoian; 09-17-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aegisbearer View Post
    I loved Eric Luke's run because of Yanick Paquette. He asked CBR people waaaaay back (when I visited the chat room) if they wanted something like a picture or piece of text included in an issue.

Well, in issue #148, Yanick put a picture of me in a museum scene.

He even remembered me when I saw him at the Comic Con in NYC in February. That was my 15 minutes... LOL

Aegis
    MR. Paquette was sooooooooooooooooooooo kind and enthusiastic!!!

OMG. Missing this run. I remember loving it so very much when it first came out. I think I'm going to have to do some digging and get those missing parts again. Loved the covers, the new characters and loved, loved, loved Yanick Paquette's art on this book. I don't understand why it was such a short run...it was filled with so much goodness, sure, he wasn't a big name, but as much as I love Jimenez's run, I think this run was painfully cut short.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

It was really fun. Not the best but definitely fun. The new characters were awesome. Or I least I think that it was awesome to use a group of gods that were not Greek(how well he used them is debatable. I do understand why some folks were not comfortable with their use). I was such a Di/Rama shipper....
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 01-01-2012 at 11:25 PM.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Somewhere in between the horror that was John Byrne and the glory that was Phil Jimenez, Diana's adventures were penned by a writer by the name of Eric Luke.

You never hear much about this relatively brief run, but the creation of this board has had me nostalgic for era's of WW past. While not necessarily ground-breaking, I found these issues quite good; we got strong writing, great art from Yanick Paquette and later Matthew Clarke, as well as beautiful Adam Hughes covers! We also got Devastation and Rama, which were polarizing characters at the time, but have since been all but forgotten.

So what do the rest of you think? Am I alone in my appreciation for this period of Diana's story??? Discuss!
    It was great is what it was.

That Devastation has never been seen since in the pages of WW is nothing short of a tragedy.
    Last edited by brettc1; 01-01-2012 at 11:34 PM.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

The wonderdome yes, but also DEVA!

I dont think I was the only one hoping that Genocide was her millenium upgrade.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”

The Devastation 4-parter was good, but the rest was dreadful. I particularly remember #150, where the characters are standing around on a rooftop, saying things like, "can you feel it? the godwave has been corrupted," and "all of reality is affected!" but all we saw were 4 people standing on a rooftop.

Or Diana having to be reminded by Zeus she had a soul.

Most galling, the Devastation story where Deva convinces Cassie that Diana is Devastation, and Cassie beats Diana to a pulp and nearly kills her. ????

It's clear Luke was trying to do a Sandman/Morrisson-style run, but he just didn't have the chops.

Loves the ignore button jason_w's Avatar

I consider this to be just filler between the Byrne and Jimenez runs and is forgettable for me except for the covers by Adam Hughes.

It did give me my monthly WW fix but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seant View Post
    The Devastation 4-parter was good, but the rest was dreadful. I particularly remember #150, where the characters are standing around on a rooftop, saying things like, "can you feel it? the godwave has been corrupted," and "all of reality is affected!" but all we saw were 4 people standing on a rooftop.

Or Diana having to be reminded by Zeus she had a soul.

Most galling, the Devastation story where Deva convinces Cassie that Diana is Devastation, and Cassie beats Diana to a pulp and nearly kills her. ????

It's clear Luke was trying to do a Sandman/Morrisson-style run, but he just didn't have the chops.
    Disagree. I like the Cassie storyline, and of course she had it over Diana in that fight because Diana was holding back so much. I thought the scene where she reaches Cassie through the lasso was wonderful.

If there was one fault with this run is was the two parter with Diana dreaming wistfully about being Superman's girlfriend. It was never going to happen, so what we really needed was someone she could go out with. But sadly every run for the last 25 years has had the same problem.