Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    BANNED WorstThingUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,444

    Default Donna Assumes The Mantle: Great Missed Opportunity?

    I think so.

    Of all the frustrating results from "One Year Later" none was as great to me than Donna taking over the Wonder Woman title in Diana's absence. This should have been the equal of Wally taking over for Barry or Dick taking over for Bruce. The disciple takes over for the master. Especially given the public relations nightmare Donna inherited. Like Wally and Dick, Donna comes equipped with lifetime of experience making her a seasoned veteran. How would/did she handle it? All of Diana's old villains? But instead of an entirely new look at Wonder Woman it was over before it began with Donna needing to be rescued. Wally got 20 years. Dick initially got at least one storyline the first time in "Prodigal." But Donna got nothing. I was incredibly disappointed, especially given the delayed mess that Allan Heinberg's run was. I dropped the book, sold off what I had on eBay and didn't come back until Gail's run started.

    Is anyone else curious to see how Donna would have done as WW?

  2. #2
    Senior Member MinaRho1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorstThingUS View Post
    I think so.

    Of all the frustrating results from "One Year Later" none was as great to me than Donna taking over the Wonder Woman title in Diana's absence. This should have been the equal of Wally taking over for Barry or Dick taking over for Bruce. The disciple takes over for the master. Especially given the public relations nightmare Donna inherited. Like Wally and Dick, Donna comes equipped with lifetime of experience making her a seasoned veteran. How would/did she handle it? All of Diana's old villains? But instead of an entirely new look at Wonder Woman it was over before it began with Donna needing to be rescued. Wally got 20 years. Dick initially got at least one storyline the first time in "Prodigal." But Donna got nothing. I was incredibly disappointed, especially given the delayed mess that Allan Heinberg's run was. I dropped the book, sold off what I had on eBay and didn't come back until Gail's run started.

    Is anyone else curious to see how Donna would have done as WW?
    I'm not. With the "mantle" of Wonder Woman comes the mission. Diana is all about the mission, ending wars-- which is just not Donna's focus. Which is fine. I don't any less of her because of that.

    Yes, Heinberg's run was uh-- it was what it was. But I think he got Donna's attitude right, whether he meant to or not. It didn't even seem to me that he liked or knew Diana or Donna, but by accident he got that right at least. Even Donna says the whole shebang is not her cup of tea. Its a persona and a goal that's unnatural to her, and she's just enough an embodiment of truth to pick up on it

    Just like with Black Canary, she's not a big picture superhero. She's more about the details.
    Last edited by MinaRho1; 09-05-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling

  3. #3
    Son of Baldwin 4PointOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MinaRho1 View Post
    I'm not. With the "mantle" of Wonder Woman comes the mission. Diana is all about the mission, ending wars-- which is just not Donna's focus. Which is fine. I don't any less of her because of that.

    Yes, Heinberg's run was uh-- it was what it was. But I think he got Donna's attitude right, whether he meant to or not. It didn't even seem to me that he liked or knew Diana or Donna, but by accident he got that right at least. Even Donna says the whole shebang is not her cup of tea. Its a persona and a goal that's unnatural to her, and she's just enough an embodiment of truth to pick up on it

    Just like with Black Canary, she's not a big picture superhero. She's more about the details.
    I agree with you, Mina. I just don't see Donna as Wonder Woman. I think she'd view that role as pomp and circumstance best suited for Diana.
    Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.

  4. #4
    BANNED WorstThingUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4PointOh View Post
    I agree with you, Mina. I just don't see Donna as Wonder Woman. I think she'd view that role as pomp and circumstance best suited for Diana.
    And Dick didn't want to be Batman, but it fell to him. The question is, were there interesting stories to be told there? I think so because I think Diana's "mission" is a bit of a burden and a straight superhero Wonder Woman would have been an interesting change.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorstThingUS View Post
    And Dick didn't want to be Batman, but it fell to him. The question is, were there interesting stories to be told there? I think so because I think Diana's "mission" is a bit of a burden and a straight superhero Wonder Woman would have been an interesting change.
    I too was disappointed Donna-As-WW didn't last longer. Not because I think she'd make a better WW, quite the opposite actually. The reasons she "wasn't suited" as mentioned in above posts are exactly the same reasons that would have made for interesting stories. We never got to see how the rest of the DCU responded to the change like we did with Wally taking over the Flash mantle. How would this have affected her role within The Titans? The JLA?

    I guess we'll never know...

  6. #6
    Son of Baldwin 4PointOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorstThingUS View Post
    And Dick didn't want to be Batman, but it fell to him. The question is, were there interesting stories to be told there? I think so because I think Diana's "mission" is a bit of a burden and a straight superhero Wonder Woman would have been an interesting change.
    Hm. I'd have to know a little more about Donna to know for certain (as her portrayals have been a bit all over the place lately). But maybe there is story potential in a Wonder Woman who is less earnest and more laid-back; who wasn't destined for her role, but inherited it; an Amazon who is more like an American than she is like a Themysciran.
    Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Dream Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    152

    Default

    I don't think Donna should be Wonder Woman either, but I think it would have been cool to see a little more of her time wearing the tiara. I could see her being in over her head, though not nearly as inept as she came off during the initial arc.
    Dream Boy's Dynamic Divas:
    Wonder Woman. Amethyst. Starfire. Spider Woman. Dazzler. Hellcat. Witchblade. Black Canary. Donna Troy. Wonder Girl. Huntress. Karma. Danielle Moonstar. Magik. Magma. Jean Grey. Psylocke. She-Hulk. Emma Frost. Ms. Marvel. Supergirl. Catwoman. Wolfsbane. Firestar. Fire & Ice. Dr. Light. Arachne. Snowbird. Tigra. The Wasp. Dream Girl. Saturn Girl. Marvel Girl. Polaris. Looker. Vampirella. Red Sonja. Zatanna. Dawnstar.

    "Sometimes the best man for the job is a woman."

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Yeah. Definitely missed opportunity here. Something to be remedied in the years to come?

  9. #9

    Default

    Unfortunately, I don't really see a way to organically put Donna in the mantle again--she had her shot here, and it was a huge thing (at least, theoretically, even if it didn't stick). To do it again would simply be mining the same well again, and repositioning Wonder Woman's place in the DCU to do so--she'd have to be "removed" from the role, one way or another. Infinite Crisis and One Year Later gave a great shot there, but doing it again anytime soon would seem...well, too soon.

    With that said, Donna Troy will be taking Wonder Woman's place in the Justice League soon, which may be a nice compromise. Just like Nightwing was always more of a group superhero than Batman was, Donna Troy might arguably be better with the League, especially with Diana absent. Ultimately, I do think that she fits in better with the Titans--not because that's where she began, but because the Titans emphasize family, and Donna Troy is...friendly, warm, maternal. The Justice League is rarely portrayed that way.

  10. #10
    Senior Member MinaRho1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shanealt View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't really see a way to organically put Donna in the mantle again--she had her shot here, and it was a huge thing (at least, theoretically, even if it didn't stick). To do it again would simply be mining the same well again, and repositioning Wonder Woman's place in the DCU to do so--she'd have to be "removed" from the role, one way or another. Infinite Crisis and One Year Later gave a great shot there, but doing it again anytime soon would seem...well, too soon.

    With that said, Donna Troy will be taking Wonder Woman's place in the Justice League soon, which may be a nice compromise. Just like Nightwing was always more of a group superhero than Batman was, Donna Troy might arguably be better with the League, especially with Diana absent. Ultimately, I do think that she fits in better with the Titans--not because that's where she began, but because the Titans emphasize family, and Donna Troy is...friendly, warm, maternal. The Justice League is rarely portrayed that way.
    I agree completely. Donna hated being Wonder Woman. And Dick being Batman is his worst nightmare. He loved being Nightwing. The whole point was stepping out of the Batman shadow while still honoring it and its not a step up in his mind at ALL. Why should we see it that way?

    It would have to be something really quite bad for Donna to take on the role again. I mean real bad. I think fans need to stop thinking of this sort of thing as an eventuality. It makes no sense to me. When characters become just ready made parts waiting in assembly line fashion to become legacy heroes, it all becomes very boring.

  11. #11
    Arkadeian prince aegisbearer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,820

    Default

    The title of Wonder Woman should not be a legacy passed down. Diana had to earn her place as the Amazon to travel to Patriarch's World to return Steve Trevor. Any other Amazon (theoretically) should have to do the same. I love Donna - don't get me wrong - but Diana is Wonder Woman. We all know that Bruce Wayne will eventually come back to be Batman. How can you change that kind of iconic character so drastically forever? Could someone else really be Superman except Clark Kent?

    Donna deserves her own place in the Wonder Woman family, just not as the Wonder Woman.
    Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But, fight to win. - Gail Simone, Wonder Woman
    _________________________________________

    Author, Task Force: Gaea (Available on Amazon.com)

  12. #12
    Senior Member MinaRho1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aegisbearer View Post
    The title of Wonder Woman should not be a legacy passed down. Diana had to earn her place as the Amazon to travel to Patriarch's World to return Steve Trevor. Any other Amazon (theoretically) should have to do the same. I love Donna - don't get me wrong - but Diana is Wonder Woman. We all know that Bruce Wayne will eventually come back to be Batman. How can you change that kind of iconic character so drastically forever? Could someone else really be Superman except Clark Kent?

    Donna deserves her own place in the Wonder Woman family, just not as the Wonder Woman.
    I agree. With all the people who love Donna, the best future they can imagine is her taking her sister's place? I think with all the work she's put into being her own person, that she should be allowed to be her own person. I mean, all the folks who have siblings-- think of what effort -conscious and otherwise-- that goes into making sure you're NOT cast in the mold of your older sibling.

    Even if she was forced to assume the role again,, I think the same thing would happen. Consciously or otherwise it would become its own thing. I love that one thing has been consistent with Donna in recent years and months. She tried the superhero codename thing complete with secret identity. It didn't stick. Outgrew Wondergirl and happily gave it away to Cassie. Can we all agree that "Troia" was a half-hearted attempt at best?

    She ditched that and went back to "Donna Troy." She takes on the mantle Wonder Woman. She shrinks away from that and admits it does not suit her at all. In her countdown adventures she whoops the ass of her evil duplicate with the line "I'm Donna Troy, Bitch. Donna. Troy."

    She's pretty damn resolute and specific I think.

  13. #13
    Veteran Member BnL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,428

    Default

    I think the whole relaunch was poorly handled in general, and this is just another example of why it missed the mark. It really felt like very little care or thought was put into it. As aegisbearer said, the title of Wonder Woman needs to be earned. I think it would have been brilliant if, in keeping with ceremony, Diana held a tournament between herself, Donna, and Cassie, as the last three remaining Amazons. Clearly, they all knew that Donna was meant to take over the mantle, but even Cassie would have to pick up a lot of the slack with Diana absent, and so they would play it that way, while still being respectful of the tradition. It would be Diana's way of passing the torch to her sisters, while giving them a hell of a workout, a final rigorous training session to let them know what they had to live up to, prepare them for what they would have to face. It would be a bittersweet moment for all three of them. Sad and frightening, yet exciting and inspiring. And it would cement the special bond they all share with one another.

    Clearly, my disappointment in the story has resulted in my thinking about this kind of thing a LOT.

  14. #14
    Rotaredom! ryerye17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,920

    Default

    Well...isn't Robinson making Donna his Wonder Woman in JLA?
    "What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Goddess of Fierce."

    Senior Theater Student
    Blog

  15. #15
    Senior Member MinaRho1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryerye17 View Post
    Well...isn't Robinson making Donna his Wonder Woman in JLA?
    Well I assume the female powerhouse of the team and Wonder Woman aren't necessarily interchangeable terms.

    At least thats how I take it from the preview art I've seen.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •