Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Steve Trevor--yes or no?

It's one of the little issues over which Gail and I argue. Much as I dig Tom Tresser, and I LOVE Gail's WW, the series just doesn't feel "right" to me without Steve Trevor. And yet, he's not been a WW love interest for, what, 22 years now? Does anyone under the age of 30 even remember Steve Trevor as Diana's boyfriend?

I have no "pluses" to put in the pro-Trevor column. I'm not even necessarily advocating--I'm just curious as to what the current readers and longtime fans alike think. It just seems like to this day, so many thousands of people who've never read a Wonder Woman comic still know who Steve Trevor is, so it's odd to me that he's not a presence. Is his absence as a romantic foil noticeable to anyone but me?

Mark, I understand completely where you're coming from on this. For years and years, Trevor's status as Wonder Woman's boyfriend was just as iconic as Lois Lane's status as Superman's girl friend. I loved about 90% of George Perez's take on Wonder Woman, but this was once change I wasn't too pleased with. (I think George is the one who changed this.)
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

I think Steve Trevor certainly has a place in the Wonder Woman mythos, but since he hasn't been her love interest in over 20 years, I don't see putting him in that role. Now, if it had been revealed that Tom Tresser was Steve Trevor's son somehow, that would at least give a gentle nod in the direction of pre-Perez continuity with some connection to "a" Trevor being a love interest for Diana. I like Steve in the role he has been in since Perez's reboot, that of a trusted friend (along with Julia Kapatelis).
    Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But, fight to win. - Gail Simone, Wonder Woman

Author, Task Force: Gaea (Available on Amazon.com)

I don't know what I need more of... cowbell or Steve Trevor!

I'll let Gail decide.
    Please visit my Blog and Facebook Page

I think people are more in love with the idea of Steve Trevor than what was actually there. I mean, say what you want about Shuster and Siegel's Lois as damsel in distress, they gave her a personality that is still used as her foundation today.

Steve Trevor's best quality was loyalty. Like a dog.

i want Trevor back but only if someone can actually create a personality for him.

Tiara Drawer Organizer DeltaBadhand's Avatar

Ideally, having Steve as WW's love interest (and in a way he was also her sidekick) is a great idea in terms of history and restoring the iconic relationship. BUT I think now it would just muddy the waters where we need to be cleaning them up in terms of her history and baseline mythos....

Pass, thanks. I'm comfy with the "older brother by adoption, and Diana did the adopting" relationship that Perez established for Steve Trevor.

I do miss seeing Trevor Barnes around the place, and Io as well. Gail's done a good job setting up Nemesis, though <b>Escape</b> seems to have disrupted that plotline from where this ill-informed reader is sitting right now.

I like Steve Trevor myself but let Gail decide

BANNED

I think there were a number of issues with Steve.

The first one (which seems to pop up from time to time in comic books) is that he was always 'IN THE AIR FORCE'. They never made it clear (that I could recall, although I may have missed it) just what he DID in the Air Force, just that he was 'IN'.

He was always in his Class A's though, ready for action!

A second issue is that he was always the odd 'man' out whenever the JLA spouses were gathered either for a social call or captured by outside sources.

There you would see Iris and Jean, Carol and Sue.....and there would be poor Steve fiddling with his markmanship badges on his jacket.

I think the idea of a downed Air Force pilot setting foot on Themyscira and falling in love with Diana makes sense.

I think that the idea of a member of the Armed Forces being the trusted ally with benefits to Diana as she adapts to Man's World makes sense.

And the idea of Diana falling for a modern day warrior, an officer of the Unites States Military makes sense.

But it was Steve, about as unremarkable a character as you can get.

Instead of creating a Steve Rogers or Nick Fury to hook up with they cart out a Sad Sack.

Instead of two proud warriors falling for each other as complete equals I think that Steve falls into that 'George McFly' thing where the only thing you can think of is that Diana must have taken some sort of obsessive pity upon poor, poor Steve. (who, like George McFly in a way, may have been just spying on the Amazons and that distraction may have turned out to be the reason for the crash!)

And honestly it just seems out of character for her.
    As Mark said though he hasn't been around for a long, long time.
    His relationship with Diana isn't vital to the character the way that Lois is for Clark or Selina is for Bruce, I think it's safe to say that Steve Trevor's time has come and gone.
    Last edited by Rev. Calibos; 09-05-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Waid View Post
    It's one of the little issues over which Gail and I argue. Much as I dig Tom Tresser, and I LOVE Gail's WW, the series just doesn't feel "right" to me without Steve Trevor. And yet, he's not been a WW love interest for, what, 22 years now? Does anyone under the age of 30 even remember Steve Trevor as Diana's boyfriend?
    As a 30 year old who got into comics as an adult, I sure don't though I've read enough of the mythos and what not to know that he was, at one point, her boyfriend.

I dunno, as Diana is now, I just don't see her with Steve Trevor though I do like how he was presented in the animated movie. (Mind you, I also love Nathan Fillion to bits so this may have had a lot to do with that.)

I think that is what Joss Whedon was trying to address in making Steve some kind of relief worker. In the better comic relationships, Batman/Catwoman, Lois/Clark, and even Carol/Green Lantern. The characters have some kind of interaction with either both or one of the personalities. Nothing about Steve being in the Air Force actually puts him in proximity to WW outside of the initial meeting without plot devices like Diana as his nurse or secretary to get the chemistry.

I think WW should get multiple men that love her. Unlike Superman and Batman, WW's life is public. I think it'll be good to explore that side of her life with multiple men that loves her.

It doesn't matter to me if Steve Trevor is a love interest or not. I barely know the character other than he's WW's love interest at one point.

You are Mark Waid the writer correct? Just wondering.

To add, I honestly think Steve Trevor CAN work depending on the writer. He can be interesting or boring.

The problem, as some others have pointed out on another board is that Wonder Woman has been rebooted so many times that it is hard to figure out what is what.

Batman and Superman, while rebooted as well, still have their family and supporting cast members. Commissioner Gordon is there, Robin and Catwoman. Heck even Alfred is still there.

Superman, has Lois, Jimmy, Ma and Pa Kent. So there was no real reboot with these heroes.

I think Steve Trevor should still have been the Pilot that crashed on the Isand and Diana was the "in love with Steve at first sight" Amazon that took him back to the States,

Whiz Kids Vs. Witchcraft! tangentman's Avatar

I want a space in comics where Steve Trevor shows up as Wonder Woman's love interest. However, NOT in the current series. Perhaps an out-of-continuity/near continuity place like All Star Wonder Woman or Wednesday Comics would work? I liked the basic idea of Nathan Fillion's Trevor--a modern-day "Cowboy"--but I also like the idea that Steve wouldn't be threatened by a stronger woman.

If anything, Steve Trevor as I see him would feel challenged by Diana. I know I'm going to get in trouble here, but I'll proceed anyway....Maybe he'd go through life dissatisfied by his relationships with most women, never quite "clicking" with various girlfriends? Then, he crash-lands on Paradise Island and meets Diana. Personally, I would play their relationship as "Surprise Soul Mates"; they've just found something they've never known they wanted, but each wanted deeply on an unconscious level.

Remember, the basic template is Diana loved this man enough to give up immortality for him. Roy Thomas captured this nicely in very early Infinity, Inc.. If Diana embraces mortality for a man, then he'd DAMN WELL better be a remarkable man! lol
    Who needs CoTM when you can have a Skullie?

I am Tangent Man! I do not care!

dazed and confused BlackTornado's Avatar

I'd have to say No, simply because he's married to Etta. I like the Tom/Diana pairing, although after this last issue(and the resolution of the FC:Escape mini) I'm worried about the future of Tom in the book. i also liked Trevor Barnes, but that relationship wasn't given the chance to develop for whatever reason.