Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter #3 *Spoilers*

Obviously spoilers after few empty lines.

Galactus already is weak and dying it seems while BRB continues destroying planets even without his hammer, well ships does the destroying part now i guess. I`thans have regrouped and collected all their weapons and stuff, they are bent on killing both, Galactus and BRB.

Surfer comes to another planet. BRB tries to buy time while using old weapons from the ship. Of course he can`t harm Surfer. Then we get explanation that after Annihilation Galactus is still weak and such short malfunction in his consumption of planets has weakend him even more. Also that I`thans now have enough weapons to kill Galactus on their own. BRB doesn`t understand what Surfer wants from him but then he explain that there will be very big bang if Galactus dies and crapload of planets(with life) will be destroyed. BRB broken allows Galactus to consume planet.

But their conversation was recorded by I`than spies and they don`t care about big explosion after Galactus, revenge will be theirs.

So fighting starts betwean I`than forces and two heralds while Galactus is busy restoring his strenght. BRB notices that heralds won`t be able to halt them long enough and decides to help Galactus. Voidan of course mocks him all the time. But what can he do without his hammer? He overrides ships controls with some code and uncouples his reactors. It grants him lots of power but he`ll implode in about a minute.

Everything goes well. Galactus is healthy again and of course saves BRB`s life. Asks why he tried to unmake Galactus and then ressurects one female Korbinite so that BRB would have something to protect again.

Both of them get back to earth and i think decide to life here. Oh and BRB manages to lift hammer again after his "sacrifice".

Bad start but okish ending. Not looking forward to his run on Thor.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Yeah, this should have been a HELLUVA lot better.

BANNED

I thought the story was pretty good and I thought the art was phenomenal. I'd love to see Kano get put on another comic. But seeing as no one bought this series I don't know how likely that it is. As for the ending, I hope that means we'll be seeing a lot more of Bill.

Yeah, I give this a so-so. The art was off in places as well.

I guess its more of a journey that Bill is going through personally than anything else, like Eden was.

Was I correct in reading at the end that Bill is staying on at S.W.O.R.D.?

I thought that he was staying simply in Earth.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingerman View Post
    Was I correct in reading at the end that Bill is staying on at S.W.O.R.D.?
    It was a little vague, but Gillen is going to be writing the SWORD series so it seems like a safe bet.
    Expletive Deleted

ShaunN

Kind of disappointed in this series. Too bad, because I really like BRB and I thought his last appearance in the "Omega Flight" series had a lot of potential. (Yes, I know that BRB last appeared in the Secret Invasion-Thor, but he was not as prominent there).

One thing: over the years, we've been given at least two-three reasons why Galactus is essential to the universe. One is that he is a fundamental force - one of a trinity of beings (the others being Ethernity and Death) who fulfill necessary functions in keeping the universe operating. Galactus is something like an embodiment of an evolutionary force - indeed, it's curious that it is even possible to kill him and that he simply does not keep regenerating. But the point is that he is necessary to the survival of the universe.

More recently, he was shown to be necessary in order to keep Abraxas in check. I'm not quite sure how he does this, but this is what FF-47-49 said, and I'm just going with that.

In the Earth-X universe, Galactus was necessary to destroy Celestial embryos to keep them from taking over the universe (though this idea never made that much sense to me - what stops the Celestials, any one of whom is as powerful as Galactus, from just combining forces and destroying him?)

Now, we get the idea that if he dies, he will go up in a big blast - or, at least, some kind of event - that will destory all life within 42 light years (which seems to be the least of the possible evils associated with Galactus dying).

I guess that, by now, there are so many different reasons for keeping Galactus around, that I'm starting to lose track. When the Surfer stopped to talk to Bill, I thought he would explain why Galactus must continue using one of the established reasons. Pulling out this self-destruct idea now adds even more confusion to the mix. Was it really necessary? I guess that making somewhat abstract arguments about G's fundamental importance to the universe may not have made much impact on Bill.

To be honest, I always preferred the first reasoning behind G- he is just so much more advanced than the species that he consumes that he sees nothing immoral in consuming other life in order for him to survive - much as we approach our own relations with farm animals.

I have to say while the ending was expected, it is sort of nice to have a happy ending for once in a mini like this.

So how is a robot going to make babies?

And he should've stayed as normal Bill for a bit longer.
    The dude is as strong as normal Thor without the hammer, as shown by all the extra content, so he's still deadly.
    Last edited by Sighphi; 08-29-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

Wouldn't Galactus' death still be a good thing?

Call me crazy but I would rather have some planets die now for the sake of the menace ending once and for all than let him continue to consume and bully the entire universe for all eternity.

Stop him and the destruction will stop. Let him go on and it will never end.

Sad to see Bill not willing to finish him off and put the burden on his shoulders. He could have saved countless more generations over time than those ultimately killed in Galactus' annoying death throes. Now a limitless number of planets will continue to die eon after eon, ultimately more die than those who would have had Bill made the sacrifice.

From a cold, hard and detached logial standpoint, the ends seem to justify blowing Galactus' brains out once and for all.
    Last edited by Dr. Chaos; 08-29-2009 at 09:26 PM.
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    Wouldn't Galactus' death still be a good thing?

Call me crazy but I would rather have some planets die now for the sake of the menace ending once and for all than let him continue to consume and bully the entire universe for all eternity.

Stop him and the destruction will stop. Let him go on and it will never end.
    Except you kill Galactus, all kinds of crazy cosmic destruction is supposed to happen. End of the universe-type stuff.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

I loved it when Surfer referred to Thanos as a "petty cosmic tyrant"...even though this PCT has handed the Surfer his ass without much effort.

Anyway, the ending of this story was somewhat disappointing, but not unexpected. Of course they weren't going to kill Galactus. I wonder what's in store for BRB next.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Except you kill Galactus, all kinds of crazy cosmic destruction is supposed to happen. End of the universe-type stuff.
    I don't know if that is still canon. I just happen to be re-reading the first Secret War and I forgot that Galactus, had he got his wish, wanted to stop his eternal hunger.

ShaunN

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't know if that is still canon. I just happen to be re-reading the first Secret War and I forgot that Galactus, had he got his wish, wanted to stop his eternal hunger.
    As far as I know, and as I mention in my earlier message above, this is still canon. Maybe Galactus wanted an end to his hunger that would still allow his function in the universe to be served. As I recall, in Jim Starlin's "Thanos" series, Galactus was also pursuing some course of action that would put an end to his hunger (I can't recall the details at the moment) so I admit that this idea has been applied inconsistently. However, too many big things have been related to Galactus' absence now that they cannot simply be ignored (though this series does seem to try to do that). Byrne established that Galactus is part of a cosmic Trinity and a force of nature; he is necessary to the universe's continued existence. In FF 47-49, it was established that his presence holds Abraxas in check. And then there is the possible link to the Celestials.

I think that what happened with Galactus is that someone eventually realized that the notion that Galactus was so far above us that he could regard us simply as food no longer made moral sense. If Galactus was going to be something other than a monster who needed to be stopped, then he had to be given an overarching purpose that justified his incredibly destructive acts. So, he has become increasingly important to the MU as time has gone on.

I like this series, for such a short comic it was thought out and very well written. Call me a traditionalist but the schoolboy in me was hoping for one more BRB fight scene, but that moment where he puts his life on the line to save a chunk of the Galaxy was really fitting for Beta Rays character.

He will always be the superior to Thor IMO, plus he has a real warriors ship. What ship did Thor ever have?Some old wodden rusty thing from Sweden?