Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    29,010

    Default CBR: Sam Rockwell Talks "Iron Man 2"

    Actor Sam Rockwell talks to CBR about playing Tony Stark's nemesis Justin Hammer in next summer's "Iron Man 2," as well as working with Jon Favreau and the cast, researching his role, and his first day on set with Mickey Rourke.



    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member hoffmandu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, Co
    Posts
    2,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Actor Sam Rockwell talks to CBR about playing Tony Stark's nemesis Justin Hammer in next summer's "Iron Man 2," as well as working with Jon Favreau and the cast, researching his role, and his first day on set with Mickey Rourke.



    Full article here.
    I love the fact he researched Ernie McKraken for the role. Easily films biggest dousche.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Some of that "research" he did... you gotta be kidding. I guess he's done well for himself, so good for him, but most actors would either laugh or scoff at that kind of role "preparation".

    I'm not even saying he had to read a single comic. But... "I watched Amadeus"? You've gotta be you-know-whatting me.

  4. #4
    Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canadian, eh
    Posts
    2,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bevbos View Post
    I'm not even saying he had to read a single comic. But... "I watched Amadeus"? You've gotta be you-know-whatting me.
    There's a reason F. Murray Abraham won that oscar. And Salieri seems like he'd not only be an identical character, but watching a great actor and learning how Mr. Abraham made the character work isn't exactly a bad thing.

    Or should Sam Rockwell be opening up his math text books work harder at the word problems?
    Last edited by Treqqor; 08-25-2009 at 06:03 PM.

  5. #5
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Treqqor View Post
    Or should Sam Rockwell be opening up his math text books work harder at the word problems?
    No, he should be reading more Iron Man comics of course.

    Really, the idea of an actor watching another actor give a great performance as a villain in order to inform his own portrayal of one . . . who does that?

  6. #6
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    No, he should be reading more Iron Man comics of course.

    Really, the idea of an actor watching another actor give a great performance as a villain in order to inform his own portrayal of one . . . who does that?
    Heath Ledger for his performance as the Joker?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  7. #7
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Treqqor View Post
    There's a reason F. Murray Abraham won that oscar. And Salieri seems like he'd not only be an identical character, but watching a great actor and learning how Mr. Abraham made the character work isn't exactly a bad thing.

    Or should Sam Rockwell be opening up his math text books work harder at the word problems?
    it's weird because F Murray Abraham has always been my casting call pick for Justin Hammer; like since the 90s.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  8. #8
    Cat smells like fish StoneGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45,554

    Default

    Given who Hammer is, I'm not sure reading the comics would really help all that much. He's a pretty stock corporate villain. And given that Rockwell is not an elderly British man, there's only so much he could do to be like the character in the books.

    But then, Tron wasn't much like the Obadiah Stane in the books, either. Almost kind of ironically, they reversed the ages of the two. Hammer wasn't exactly a father figure to Stark, but he was the elderly rival. Stane was the contemporary.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

    Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

    In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

    Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    Heath Ledger for his performance as the Joker?
    Yep, Ledger did that part by watching Alex DeLarge.

  10. #10
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    Heath Ledger for his performance as the Joker?
    Try turning on your computer's sarcasm detector.

  11. #11
    Where the sun don't shine Pro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Try turning on your computer's sarcasm detector.
    5083 posts and you're only now realising sarcasm doesn't work very well on the internet?

  12. #12
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,957

    Default

    Much like free will and democracy, sometimes it works better than others.

  13. #13
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Try turning on your computer's sarcasm detector.
    try learning to use yoru smilies. they aren't just for decoration, sport.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  14. #14
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    try learning to use yoru smilies. they aren't just for decoration, sport.

    They are as far as I'm concerned.

  15. #15
    FRENCH Frank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Antartica
    Posts
    10,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Given who Hammer is, I'm not sure reading the comics would really help all that much. He's a pretty stock corporate villain. And given that Rockwell is not an elderly British man, there's only so much he could do to be like the character in the books.

    But then, Tron wasn't much like the Obadiah Stane in the books, either. Almost kind of ironically, they reversed the ages of the two. Hammer wasn't exactly a father figure to Stark, but he was the elderly rival. Stane was the contemporary.
    Good point. Although I have more diffculties swallowing Justin Hammer as a young guy than Stane as older than Stark. When they casted Rockwell, I was sure he would be another villain-at the very least, Ezekiel Stane, recently introduced in the pages of Matt Fraction's Iron Man run. I like Hammer as this decripit old man manipulator behind the scene, that's arming criminals with Stark Tech and using these guys as mercs.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •