Default Where to start in Judge Dredd?

I know that there are 1 thread similar to this in this forum but I would like to ask something specific.

I have been building up quite list on Judge Dredd comics.
    I do realize that it will take some time to start and complete my Judge Dredd library(if my future financial status allows it).

Thing is though,should I buy Judge Dredd:Complete Case files vol 1- 11?

I thought I would like to cancel those volumes in my list as I would like to collect more recent comic of Judge Dredd rather than the 70s-80s

This my current list now,hope you guys could give me hints of what to add,and what to drop.
    Collecting all this will take a very,very,very,very long time(but what the heck ).

John Wagner runs
    Judge Dredd: Origins
    Judge Dredd: The Apocalypse War Featuring Block Mania
    Judge Dredd: Mandroid
    I am the Law: The Judge Dredd Omnibus(collects Dredd vs. Death, Bad Moon Rising, Black Atlantic, and Eclipse)
    Judge Dredd: Brothers of the Blood
    Judge Dredd: Satan's Island
    Judge Dredd: Total War (Judge Dredd 2000 Ad)
    Judge Dredd: Chief Judge's Man
    Judge Dredd: The Hunting Party
    Judge Dredd: Democracy Now
    Judge Dredd: Wilderlands (Judge Dredd S.)
    Judge Death: My Name is...
    Judge Dredd : Fetish
    Judge Dredd: Complete PJ Maybe
    Judge Dredd: The Henry Flint Collection

Garth Ennis runs
    Judge Dredd: Emerald Isle
    Judge Dredd: America
    Judge Dredd: Innocents Abroad (2000ad Presents)
    Judge Dredd: Muzak Killer (2000ad Presents)
    Judge Dredd: Goodnight Kiss : Featuring the Marshal and Enter : Jonni Kiss (2000 AD Presents)
    Judge Dredd: Necropolis Book 1 (Judge Dredd (Titan Books Numbered))
    Judge Dredd: Justice One (2000ad Presents)
    Judge Dredd: Death Aid : Featuring Return of the King and Christmas Whti Attitude (2000 AD Presents)

Sorry for such a long post and ramblings.Any help/info is appreciated.

P/S:Most of this titles are copied from amazon.I may have missed some important/vital titles in my list.Please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixa View Post
    Garth Ennis runs
    Judge Dredd: Goodnight Kiss : Featuring the Marshal and Enter : Jonni Kiss (2000 AD Presents)
    Judge Dredd: Death Aid : Featuring Return of the King and Christmas Whti Attitude (2000 AD Presents)
    Hi and sorry I don't have anything to offer to the list but thank you for the run down on major Garth Ennis stories as I was strong considering tracking down those that I don't yet have.

Personally, I'd go for the Case Files. Some of the greatest JD stories are the random done in ones which may not be collected elsewhere. Mind you, the 70s-early 80s were my favourite era, so I'm coming at this from different preferences to you.

Anyway, whichever route you decide to go down, decide quickly, you're wasting precious reading time ;)
    Meh!

I really want to order the case files but think from the quality of the Judge Dredd stories i have read these truly deserve a HC release suitable for pride of place on the bookshelf..... which softcover releases never get.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixa View Post
    I know that there are 1 thread similar to this in this forum but I would like to ask something specific.

I have been building up quite list on Judge Dredd comics.
    I do realize that it will take some time to start and complete my Judge Dredd library(if my future financial status allows it).

Thing is though,should I buy Judge Dredd:Complete Case files vol 1- 11?

I thought I would like to cancel those volumes in my list as I would like to collect more recent comic of Judge Dredd rather than the 70s-80s

This my current list now,hope you guys could give me hints of what to add,and what to drop.
    Collecting all this will take a very,very,very,very long time(but what the heck ).

John Wagner runs
    Judge Dredd: Origins
    Judge Dredd: The Apocalypse War Featuring Block Mania
    Judge Dredd: Mandroid
    I am the Law: The Judge Dredd Omnibus(collects Dredd vs. Death, Bad Moon Rising, Black Atlantic, and Eclipse)
    Judge Dredd: Brothers of the Blood
    Judge Dredd: Satan's Island
    Judge Dredd: Total War (Judge Dredd 2000 Ad)
    Judge Dredd: Chief Judge's Man
    Judge Dredd: The Hunting Party
    Judge Dredd: Democracy Now
    Judge Dredd: Wilderlands (Judge Dredd S.)
    Judge Death: My Name is...
    Judge Dredd : Fetish
    Judge Dredd: Complete PJ Maybe
    Judge Dredd: The Henry Flint Collection

Garth Ennis runs

Sorry for such a long post and ramblings.Any help/info is appreciated.

P/S:Most of this titles are copied from amazon.I may have missed some important/vital titles in my list.Please let me know.
    Ok, first things first. Garth Ennis didn't write Necropolis nor America, they were both written by John Wagner.

The other thing to remember about Garth Ennis' Dredd is that it isn't very good, and that's coming from the man himself. He's stated he's too close to the character to write him totally effectively, and outside some occasional storylines, his run on the title wasn't the best.

Ok, working on the basis that the us casefiles hold the same detail as the ones released in the UK, my suggestion would be to start with either 2,3 or 5.

1 features the very early Dredd strips, and the character was only really finding his feet at that point, so it's very hit and miss. 4 is ok, but not compared to the other three.

2 holds two massive epics, The Cursed Earth and The Day The Law Died. Again, they are early stories, but its in these that Dredds character is truly formed.

3 has lots of early stories to, but, in the same way that casefile 2 lays the groundwork for Dredd, 3 does the same for mega-city one.

5 is, to my mind, the best of the bunch. It has the whole of the Apocalypse War, the best Dredd epic ever, plus Judge Death Lives and other classics.

For later stories, America is brilliant, Origins is a good read (although reading Casefiles 2 first fleshes it out more) and Brothers of the Blood is an introduction to Dredd's legacy.

Might I also recommend The Pit as well if you can find it. It concerns Dredd taking over a badly run sector house in the worst sector in the city, and his efforts to turn it around.

If you're interested, I wrote a small piece on my favourite Dredd stories just before the movie came out, which you can read here.

http://2000ad.wordpress.com/2012/08/...dredd-top-ten/
    Last edited by thehod; 03-04-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.