Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default King Cobra vs Black Mamba

Which of these snakes would win?

Probably the one that eats other snakes
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Probably the one that eats other snakes
    That would be the Cobra. >=)

IIRC, King Cobra is one of the top ten poisonous snakes in the world. It can also spray out poison from its fangs, letting it blind the Black Mamba.

Cobra 9/10

It ends in SNAKE SEX?
    "Our cash flow is as if a profligate son keeps borrowing money to spend on Geisha, which is why we donít have a choice not to enjoy the race." ~DOME CO. LTD, on their 2012 LeMans effort...

"IIRC, King Cobra is one of the top ten poisonous snakes in the world. It can also spray out poison from its fangs, letting it blind the Black Mamba."

The King Cobra is the largest poisonous snake in the world, but not one of the 10 most poisonous. And I have never heard of them being able to spit venom. That said, it would probably have the overall advantage and take most fights. The mamba might have a slight edge on speed, but unless it manages to sneak up on the cobra, it won't factor in that much, due to the cobra's superior striking distance.

Whichever one manages to strike the other one first.

...Actually, given the range at which they operate, the striking speed, and the lethality of their respective bites, I can see a some of the matches having both snakes dropping.

And no spitting for the King Cobra - that's a different kind of cobra.

King Cobras are somewhat resistant to other snake venom IIRC, one of the adaptations that allow them to hunt and eat other venomous snakes, and while they don't have the deadliest venom they inject so much of it in a single bite that they might as well. That line in G.I. Joe about being able to kill an elephant? That's true.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11

Gazing at UFOs in the sky. Or are those memories?

Yet the Mamba is actually deadlier to humans...

Anyway, the inland Taipan beats all...

Oh. I thought the topic was going to be a fight between these two.
    http://marvel.com/universe/King_Cobra_(Klaus_Voorhees)
    http://marvel.com/universe/Black_Mamba
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic eagle View Post
    Yet the Mamba is actually deadlier to humans...

Anyway, the inland Taipan beats all...
    As i said the King Cobra's poison isn't as potent as other snakes, however a bite from one will kill a person up to five times faster than a Black Mamba due to the enormous amount of venom it delivers. It has a mortality rate around 75%. Quantity kicks quality's ass in this case.
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11

On the venom to eye thing..

irrelevant in this case, because snake eyes are covered by skin.

As i said the King Cobra's poison isn't as potent as other snakes, however a bite from one will kill a person up to five times faster than a Black Mamba due to the enormous amount of venom it delivers. It has a mortality rate around 75%. Quantity kicks quality's ass in this case.
    And without swift use of antivenom, the mortality rate of a mamba bite is 100%

It is also quicker than a king cobra.

What are we arguing about here? I'm agreeing that the Mamba has more potent venom, just that the Cobra delivers much more of it per bite. And some digging tells me that the King Cobra does have some resistance to other snakes' venom.
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11

What are we arguing about here? I'm agreeing that the Mamba has more potent venom, just that the Cobra delivers much more of it per bite. And some digging tells me that the King Cobra does have some resistance to other snakes' venom.
    That the mamba is likely going to get it far more strikes each with far more potent venom than the cobra's. The cobra's larger venom reservoir won't help it win here. The mamba is also a more aggressive snake, striking repeatedly until the target stops moving.

The cobra's somewhat dubious resistance ('some' resistance against the venom of other snakes says nothing about how well it survives getting bit by one of the most venomous snakes around, given how potent the mamba toxin happens to be) doesn't seem to be enough to prevent it from getting iced by a bite from the mamba.

Given that to bite, each snake has to put its body into range of the other snake's own lunge, I'd personally cut it something like this.

About a third of the time, the mamba kills the cobra.
    About a third of the time, the cobra kills the mamba.
    About a third of the time, they end up biting each other in the exchange, and they both kick the bucket.

This is like a couple of naked guys fighting with knives coated in white paralt venom (fictional poison). There's a darned good chance they both croak.