Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: The CBR Review: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

The first "G.I. Joe" film offers plenty of action, fun characters, and a balance few summer movies strike. With nods to the nods to the fans and plenty of explosions, the film offers a solid action romp.

Full article here.

Default GI Joe movie

I saw it this afternoon and I found it to be just okay. Personnally I don't think it gives nods to the fans. I understand when making a movie based on toys the direction is presented by Hasbro but I feel they missed the boat with this one. I think if you forget what you know about GI Joe it's okay but because of the directions they took some of the characters, specifically about their pasts and interactions, just did not work for me. Now don't get me wrong I enjoyed the film but it is a very weak late summer movie. I don't think it is the worst movie evey made as some have called it but it is not that good either. I thought Terminator Salvation was this year's weak movie but it is stronger than GI Joe. I still don't see why the power suits were used because they really have no place in the movie at all. My friends who saw the movie with me said it was a nod to Sigma Six but I did not watch Sigma Six after the first two episodes. I did have two major problems with the movie and both concern Snake Eyes. One is the reason he does not talk and the second deals with how he gets his name....SPOILER HERE....Why you you name a child Snake Eyes? Everyone knows if someone has snake eyes in real life that means that person cannot be trusted. To me this marked him as untrustwourthy thought his life.

Otherwise the movie itself looks good but I don't see it getting high marks at all.

I thought this was far better than any of the other "big" summer action movies this year (wolverine, terminator, transformers) and thought it was better than Transformers 1 as well

I really agree with the review. G. I. Joe had a realy awesome balance. I think it was a good mix of putting in play some of the main things and sayings shown from the cartoon and showing a good action movie and giving us a good intriguing and at some points surprsing story. I loved this movie. The action was awesome, it was funny, intriguing, and it got me to care about the characters.

I just saw the movie and loved it! However, I would love it more if it wasn't called "GI Joe." I never watched the cartoons or read the comics but my understanding was that GI Joe was an extra-special forces unit of the US Army, not a NATO unit. Whatever happened to "A real American hero?"

Quote Originally Posted by Zor-El of Argo View Post
    I just saw the movie and loved it! However, I would love it more if it wasn't called "GI Joe." I never watched the cartoons or read the comics but my understanding was that GI Joe was an extra-special forces unit of the US Army, not a NATO unit. Whatever happened to "A real American hero?"
    A worldwide marketing campaign and currently how people outside the US view our country.
    "Honest Abe's a 'mo!" - Hank Venture from the Venture Bros.

Gi Joe was great up until the end. It got way too corny. Did not care for the Baronness at all. I loved Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, and even Zartan. Rex's proclamation at the end just came out of nowhere... and sounded terrible. Oh well
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Majinoaw View Post
    Rex's proclamation at the end just came out of nowhere... and sounded terrible. Oh well
    Yeah, I didn't like CC's voice at the very end - the Doctor voice was damn decent, and the part where he took the mask off briefly was a nice nod to the (Chris Latta) traditional CC. Dunno why he needed to sound more monsterous as CC.

The proclamation wasn't really out of nowhere. He was going on about the king cobra earlier, so that metaphor was a callback to his first appearance, and..........really, the idea that The Doctor could take control since he was the guy who mastered the nanomite technology and was programming all the Vipers and agents made sense, and the treachery exploited Destro's base arrogance. A bad guy stabbing another bad guy in the back?! Pshaw! Incredible!

The voice for CC at the end got me, too. I watched the cartoon religiously when I was a wee lad and that voice just screamed Destro to me, not the Commander. It was cool to get an ever-so-brief look at his chrome dome, though