Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: CCI: Sunday Conversation with Dan DiDio

Creators from all corners of the industry joined Dan DiDio on Sunday to discuss comic books and share their own histories as fans with attendees at Comic-Con International in San Diego.

Full article here.

Damn, that sucks for Dan. Impressive display of resolve and industry professionalism under trying circumstance.

For all his many blunders in his current position(although I still feel the good he's done far outweighs the bad), this is why I'll always give Didio the benefit of the doubt:

* he's a true professional(I don't think I'd have shown up if my mom just died)

* he's all inclusive(I don't remember the last time JoeyQ invited someone from the competition or a gossip columnist on stage to participate in any fun)

* he really seems to care what fans think( I don't know of any other company that started a regular convention forum just to talk about a fan's likes and dislikes; all the other ones are just for pimping a company's latest books)

* he's proven that he's a long time passionate comic fan and this isn't just a job to him

BANNED

Five reasons not to give him the benefit of the doubt
    Final Crisis
    Countdown
    Dwayne McDuffie
    Batgirl
    All Star Batman and Robin

Anyone who has gone to a convention and had the opportunity to speak one-on-one with Dan knows that he is one of the most genuinely nice people you will ever meet. I could tell just from my short 10 minute conversation with him that he really cares about the fans, the books and making sure that mistakes don't get repeated. I too had my doubts at first, but after speaking with him and seeing how the quality of DC's comics are improving I hope that he is around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by CYOTI View Post
    Final Crisis
    Whether you like these or not (and I definitely fall into the not category) you can't deny they weren't huge sales successes for DC. After all, that's what Dan's job primarily is - delivering sales.

Hell, even Countdown was regularly one of the better selling DC titles despite all the negative feedback.

BANNED

Actually Final Crisis wasn't a huge success given that it was trounced by Ultimate Origins saleswise.

And sales on Countdown were largely due to the success of 52.

Five reasons not to give him the benefit of the doubt
    Final Crisis
    Countdown
    Dwayne McDuffie
    Batgirl
    Final Crisis was far from perfect, but it was unique and I enjoyed it for the most part.

Countdown sucked, I'll give you that. Name one EIC(or whatever Didio's title is) that hasn't been responsible for at least one god awful storyline, mini-series, or event.

I don't know if you mean the hiring or firing of Dwayne McDuffie. I've liked a lot of McDuffie's work, so I don't think his hiring was a bad call. As much as I hate "big business's" firing people at a moment's notice, what did he expect when he continually complained about all he had to endure while writing JLA?

I can't speak about the new(?) Batgirl that hasn't come out yet, but when all the fans of the Asian one got mad about her becoming evil, Didio made her a part of Batman's family again. It may not have been the smoothest of explanations, but at least she's back at the status quo that most fans seemed to want her at.

ASBARTBW is one of the nicest looking but biggest pieces of crap I've ever read(more so than any crap Loeb writes along with whatever talented artist they pair him with). Although, the editor in charge of it is now gone and Didio has gone on record as saying the book only has a few more issues. Considering as well as that crap sells, I don't blame him for at least giving it an ending. Someones buying it.
    Last edited by Paul Newell; 07-28-2009 at 01:24 PM.

ACTION! DANGER! ROMANCE! Paul Newell's Avatar

SMARTASS8, please check the language rule at the top of the board. I'm sick of editing your posts.

Dang, I do feel sorry for Dan on a personal level as losing a love one is a tough thing to go through.

I applaude for Dan for coming here, despite some minior complaints that the company has endured in the past. It shows him to be passionate about his job and does show that he does care about the products that he produces.

My thoughts and prays go out to him and his family at their time of grief.

My condolences as well.

My friend had texted me "his mom died" with no other context, so I had no idea if the panel was cancelled (hadn't seen a report until today) or what. I know Sattler sat in and modded a few panels but didn't even realize Didio wasn't at any other panels before now.

Also, what's Steve Skeates (an old school DC writer, as I recall) writing for Marvel these days?!
    Last edited by Sean Walsh; 07-28-2009 at 01:36 PM.

ACTION! DANGER! ROMANCE! Paul Newell's Avatar

Actually Final Crisis wasn't a huge success given that it was trounced by Ultimate Origins saleswise.
    It's a sad state of affairs in the industry today, when sales over 100,000 aren't recognised as a sales success...all because "some comic didn't beat up this other comic!" is instead.

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newell View Post
    It's a sad state of affairs in the industry today, when sales over 100,000 aren't recognised as a sales success...all because "some comic didn't beat up this other comic!" is instead.
    Seriously. They made money off the thing and the hardcover made the New York Times best selller list for comics.

SMARTASS8, please check the language rule at the top of the board. I'm sick of editing your posts.
    Sorry. Since I've seen plenty of bad language on these boards and there was no program in place that automatically " **** " out any words, I didn't think there was a language rule in place. All you need to do is tell me once.

BANNED

Well given the buildup towards Final Crisis with the Countdown event, it is suprisng to see a comic that came out of nowhere selling more copies than the much more heavily promoted FC and Countdown to Final Crisis, which had the dubious honor of being tied in with virtually every other DC Comic published that year.
    Last edited by CYOTI; 07-28-2009 at 03:23 PM.