Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: CCI: Casey & Suriano Talk "Doc Bizarre, M.D."

The creative team behind "Charlatan Ball" is at it again with an all-new series titled "Doc Bizarre, M.D." CBR News caught up with Joe Casey and Andy Suriano for an exclusive chat about all things "Bizarre."

Full article here.

Default Spookily similar

How'd you come up with the premise?

JC: Divine intervention, plain and simple.
    God must have read Witch Doctor, a medical horror comic by Brandon Seifert and Lukas Ketner.

Lightbulb Doc Bizarre M.D...

--isn't even a little bit like Witch Doctor, I assure you. At least after reading the premise on their website. That being, the comparisons to those cover images is...eerily similar--having never seen or heard about Witch Doctor before. Promise. As one creator to another, this was a total accident, one to chalk up to that great shared creative consciousness in the sky. As Joe and I tend to do, our comics are in indeed referential--but that book wasn't even a blip on our radar. We wanted to do an Eerie, Creepy or House of Mystery book--and I personally proposed a meld between Black Jack and Cat Eyed Boy Japanese Manga, plain and simple. --A

Default It happens. No foul.

Hey Andy,

I'll admit I cringed when I saw your book on CBR but you're right, the way you describe Doc Bizarre, M.D. doesn't sound anything like what me and Lukas are doing in Witch Doctor, apart from the fact that they both combine horror and medicine and they both star... eccentric Sherlock Holmes-types.

But yeah, "eerily similar" is a good way of putting it, as far as the two pieces of art go and the monster caduceus in both our logos. But, hey, if we're combining medicine and monsters, OF COURSE we're going to have a caduceus with monstery snakes, and of course there'll be a doctor going "Say ah" to something with way too many teeth. It's disheartening, but this shit happens. It's a small collective unconscious.

Just please don't have your doctor say "Scalpel" and have someone hand him a sword. That's all I ask. :-)

- Brandon
    P.S. It's funny you mention Creepy, because Lukas actually did the art on the first new Creepy story for Dark Horse. Personally, we were trying to do something in the vein of Hellboy, The Goon and Tomb of Horror when we came up with Witch Doctor...
    Last edited by BrandonCyphered; 07-17-2011 at 11:01 PM.