Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: CCI: Mark Buckingham on Marvelman

The artist behind the last original 'Miracleman' stories published in the U.S. reacts to the news and teases the possible future of he and Neil Gaiman's unfinished masterpiece

Full article here.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

I met Mark Buckingham last year, at the Birmingham International Comics Show, here in the UK. He's a genuinely nice bloke, who was quite surprised when amongst the requests for many a classic character I asked him to sketch Mortigan Goth, an obscure character he'd drawn for a four part limited series (Mortigan Goth: Immortalis) for a sub-imprint of Marvel UK.

But he drew him for me. I got a chance to chat with him, and his good lady wife, for a while.

It's fantastic to consider that he and Gaiman could finally complete their work. I firmly have my fingers crossed.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Thumbs up Kimota, baby!!!!!!!!

I read about Marvel's interest in ressurecting Marvelman(ha! we can use his original name again!!!! ) in Wizard a few months ago: I never thought they'd be able to cut through all the legal red tape the character has been mired in since like, what, 1989? This is EXCEPTIONALLY good news and I cannot wait for the impossible-to-get-early issues to be reprinted! And we can finally see Miracleman--er--Marvelman #25!!! F**K yeah! I just hope Double M isn't forced into the Marvel Universe proper....if that happens, it's only a matter of time until the obligatory Wolverine crossover(gawd, the only person Logan hasn't teamed up with is Christ!)
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

whatever happens, I just hope they reprint everything. I have been dying to read this stuff for years but have held off reading it on my computer screen in hopes that the trades would some day be published again.

Like the above poster said, i hope they respect this character. I would rather not see Jeph Loeb writing a MarvelMan/RULK crossover or "Dark" MarvelMan.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgiff View Post
    whatever happens, I just hope they reprint everything. I have been dying to read this stuff for years but have held off reading it on my computer screen in hopes that the trades would some day be published again.

Like the above poster said, i hope they respect this character. I would rather not see Jeph Loeb writing a MarvelMan/RULK crossover or "Dark" MarvelMan.
    It's good. It's really, really good stuff. You are going to love it when you read it.

Thanks for the interview and link!

I think it is pretty much a given that Gaiman and Buckingham will be able to finish their Miracleman story. I don't think Marvel would have gone to all the trouble if it was just to put a couple trades back in print.
    My webcomic -
    http://www.newbookday.com/

My comic book reviews -
    http://www.geekadelphia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyreview View Post
    I think it is pretty much a given that Gaiman and Buckingham will be able to finish their Miracleman story. I don't think Marvel would have gone to all the trouble if it was just to put a couple trades back in print.
    A couple of trades by Moore and Gaiman who make up the bulk of B&N, Borders and Amazon's comic sections.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.

Shield of the True North CaptainCanada's Avatar

The only potential issue with Buckingham's involvement is that he'd have to stop working on Fables for a year, which, since it's creator-owned, undoubtedly makes him a lot more money than work-for-hire at Marvel Comics on an issue-by-issue basis.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword Is Drawn View Post
    I met Mark Buckingham last year, at the Birmingham International Comics Show, here in the UK. He's a genuinely nice bloke, who was quite surprised when amongst the requests for many a classic character I asked him to sketch Mortigan Goth, an obscure character he'd drawn for a four part limited series (Mortigan Goth: Immortalis) for a sub-imprint of Marvel UK.
    Any chance we might see that sketch Sword Is drawn. Buckingham is one of my absolute favourite artists and I loved the Immortalis miniseries.

I'm torn between my desire to see the end of Miracleman the Silver and Dark Ages and Buckingham sticking with Fables.
    Last edited by Babylon23; 07-27-2009 at 09:15 PM.

I hope he returns. He seems happy its returning

Marvelman already met Logan - thing is, his name was Sentry at the time.

Because let's not kid ourselves here.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Any chance we might see that sketch Sword Is drawn. Buckingham is one of my absolute favourite artists and I loved the Immortalis miniseries.
    It can be found as part of this Blog article:

http://itcamefromdarkmoor.blogspot.c...bics-2008.html
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn