Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default CCI: EA Games booth--Commit Acts of Lust on any booth babe to win a prize!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...ooth-babes.ars

The problem is, it's not just THEIR booth babes, but everyone else's as well. Read the comments too, if you've the time. I've attached an image of the contest card in case the arstechnica link goes down.

This seems to be behind some of the increased complaints of groping at this year's CCI. Heading up the "take photos with" part with "Commit Acts of Lust" is apparently encouraging some asshats to go the extra mile, especially as it's for a contest. I've seen a lot of pissed off responses, both male and female, including women who've BEEN booth babes and understand that they are there to look hot, sell product, and get their pictures taken. I've seen some call online for CCI to kick EA out and for anyone manhandled as a result of this to sue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EA-Sin-2-Win.jpg  

I've seen a lot of "You're a booth babe, you asked for it" remarks on articles and communities online. Nevermind that most the girls mistaken for booth babes are just con attendees in costume. I think this is a particularly well articulated response.

(Written by Iola, commenting @ ArsTechnica)

"I love all the privileged, dismissive boys passing judgement on here. You know, the ones who've never had to go to a con as a female and deal with some (certainly not all) knuckle-draggers who don't understand that a con does not suddenly suspend personal rights for anyone with breasts. Gals who go there to dress up and have a good time get sexually harassed, NEVERMIND the "booth babes" who "signed up for it" and then have their employer put them out for a contest.

Those of you using the "they can walk away" excuse please go back to the playbook for "she was asking for it" and figure out how you're being a sexist asshole. A job--even one based on someone's looks--DOES NOT EXCUSE OTHER PEOPLE of CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR.

Have any of you BEEN a "booth babe"? No? Then STFU. Myself, I've been a "booth babe" at many comic, scifi and anime cons for the last several yrs. I was also the training manager for ALL employees, running the booths and overseeing the product of two major companies. I also happen to be attractive and enjoy wearing costumes. I have a four-yr degree and my day-job is in the comic industry. But I guess I'm ASKING to be groped because I'm one step up from a hooker, right? Even if I WAS a fucking hooker, that gives no one the right. I can walk around in a thong and pasties and it's nobody's license to touch.

As for those that think the "fine print" settles everything, you're sadly wrong. I just worked a con last week where about 2-in-3 people would come stand directly under a large sign and STILL ask me the question answered on it. People don't read. You'd be lucky if they read the whole ad, let alone some fine print bullshit.

Then there's the girls. The brass BALLS on EA to put a bounty on OTHER booth girls. Hell, girls in general. Afterall, how does someone know who other booth girls are? At one SDCC I was trying to have a converstation with my editor off on the fringe of a booth, not wearing any "booth babe" identifiers--just being a girl in a costume--and we kept getting harassed by people who thought I was one of the booth's "babes."

Lastly, you guys think that people offended by this are over-reacting because SANE people at a con would never do something criminal? Spoken like someone who's not female and dressed up at a con. Last week I had some moron ACTUALLY STALK one of my new girls. Kept coming back to the booth even after she told him she wouldn't hang out. He kept getting more insistent that she hang out with him and give him her phone number. Kept telling her he'd come back when she asked him not to. Tried to FOLLOW HER. Yah, that's obviously not dangerous AT ALL. I've had my own issues over the years, including stalkers, men trying to take invasive photos, or grabbing things they shouldn't. I have at least a couple of guys a con who cross the line. Please don't downplay the seriousness of a situation that you know NOTHING ABOUT.

Why aren't you guys pissed that EA thinks gamers or con-goers are all socially-inept virgins anyway? Way to piss on ALL of your gaming audience."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBlade View Post
    Why aren't you guys pissed that EA thinks gamers or con-goers are all socially-inept virgins anyway? Way to piss on ALL of your gaming audience."
    To be perfectly honest, I take for granted most gamers, comic book enthusiasts and con goers are socially inept virgins. Truth be told, most are (at least in the socially inept department, anyhow). That way when those few who aren't come around I can be pleasantly surprised.

... and no, this horrid, horrid contest does not surprise me in the least, sadly.
    "I am not only the Queen of Heaven, but also the Mother of Mercy."
    -Our Lady to Saint Faustina

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I take for granted most gamers, comic book enthusiasts and con goers are socially inept virgins. Truth be told, most are (at least in the socially inept department, anyhow). That way when those few who aren't come around I can be pleasantly surprised.

... and no, this horrid, horrid contest does not surprise me in the least, sadly.
    Ahem. I am far from socially inpept and am DEFINITELY not a virgin, thank you very much

And this contest is bat-shit insane. "Sexually harass someone and win a prize"? Oh yes, there's a great idea. No way THIS could end badly:rolleyes:

Has EA started hiring staff from the Sex Offender wing of their local prison or are they just really, REALLY high?
    Last edited by FeminineMystique; 07-25-2009 at 09:13 AM.

What the FUCK?

I'm going to tell these guys what goddamned assholes they are. The 'booth babes' are HUMAN BEINGS not fucking video game achievements.

FUCK these idiots.

Goddammit, EA.

You're going to pay for this. I will never work for your piece of shit company and I can make sure others are aware of this as well.
    Black Canary owns your world.

What the hell?

Female gamers are on the rise, more guys are now able to get their girls to share the fun experience they have playing video games.

Then shit like this comes along, and throws it all back a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by FeminineMystique View Post
    Ahem. I am far from socially inpepy and am DEFINITELY not a virgin, thank you very much
    LOL I didn't say 'everyone'. I meant as in 'most people I've met fit the stereotype'. Not all.

Regardless of being inept or not, however, EA spearheading such a bone headed, thoughtless, sexist contest just condones the kind of stereotypical behavior you might expect and outright encourages it. Bleh.
    Last edited by shrike; 07-25-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    "I am not only the Queen of Heaven, but also the Mother of Mercy."
    -Our Lady to Saint Faustina

Ahem. I am far from socially inpepy and am DEFINITELY not a virgin, thank you very much

I think my virginity grew back............

Last Son of Detroit

WRTA / Twitter
    / Bijou In Midnight Blue

Wow, thats so very messed up. Who thought this would be a good idea?!

Sin full night with 2 hot girls?

What the hell?

So, EA somehow in all these years totally missed the fact that there are women at the con with swords. Please let us know when the siege of their booth begins.

My boat is going somewhere and its going by my power. ~Puma

I'm about as shark as a sap of wet mice. ~BB

Think of Rumbles as a 24-hour Mountain Dew-fueled LAN party, and YABS as a discotheque packed with candy ravers and strobe lights. Community is the pub across the street with a pack of hard drinkers singing along off-key to the jukebox and occasionally hurling thick hardback books at each other.~Tages

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rallura View Post
    So, EA somehow in all these years totally missed the fact that there are women at the con with swords. Please let us know when the siege of their booth begins.
    It almost makes me want to conquer my fear of flying, just to do a little pillaging in my Valkrie costume

Seriously though, I hope EA get kicked out of the con for this. Basically giving con-goers incentive to assault women isn't the kind of stuff that would fly thirty years ago, let alone today. It's embarassing and ridiculous

It almost makes me want to conquer my fear of flying, just to do a little pillaging in my Valkrie costume

Seriously though, I hope EA get kicked out of the con for this. Basically giving con-goers incentive to assault women isn't the kind of stuff that would fly thirty years ago, let alone today. It's embarassing and ridiculous
    Seriously, I hope one of these freaks tries this and gets the shit beaten out of him by one of these women.

I have to agree with just how wrong this is. Just what the hell is EA thinking???

DM Jim