Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perhaps my biggest flaw

yeah yeah, I know. . I'm pretty much perfect , but if I had to self identify a flaw, I'd say my biggest one is that I'm unwilling (unable?) to back down if I believe I am correct.

I got into it today with a Manager from another group.

She implied I was incorrect / telling a lie in an email string involving several folks, but then when I called her on it, she suddenly wanted to "stop this line of discussion"

I wasn't rude about it, but I was very direct in providing my proof that what she was saying was not correct.

and I wouldn't let it go.

eventually, she asked me "who is your Manager". . and I very politely responded : They have been copied on this entire thread, and provided thier names.

(very nice of me, as there were several ways I could have suggested she get that information -- but went the "nice" route).

we shall see if anything comes of it tomorrow.

if I'm let go due to this, I honestly don't care -- as I know that I was correct.

but still, I can see this as being a flaw.

I just wish I did the "office politics" better.

I need a hug (and not from no damn kitties).

Don't get me wrong. I like cats AND dogs (I have both!). Kittens just make me go aww.

But since you requested no kitties..this one time only:

Picture wouldnt show. Grr.

Here is the link: http://www.dailycuteness.com/wp-cont...animals001.jpg
    Last edited by Night Swordsman; 07-23-2009 at 05:57 PM.

You're biggest flaw is your inability to accept that I'm not Saint Saucey.

Do you really think so? Solaris's Avatar

*tacklehugs!!!*

There---feel better?
    Solaris

The worst disease in our world is a lack of compassion, and the blind ignorant sense of entitlement which takes no account of sacrifices made by others that allow said individual to exist.---me

Tarma: "Surprise, youngling! Nothing learned is ever lost or wasted."

---Misty Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    yeah yeah, I know. . I'm pretty much perfect , but if I had to self identify a flaw, I'd say my biggest one is that I'm unwilling (unable?) to back down if I believe I am correct.
    God, I don't know what you're doing round here, then. You don't fit in at all!
    one of the highest principles of America is that we're a nation of people from different backgrounds living in equal dignity and mutual loyalty - Eboo Patel.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    *tacklehugs!!!*

There---feel better?
    If it isn't, there's no hope.
    " Why do stars suddenly appear, every time I drink beer ? " ~~~ Karen Ellis

She implied I was incorrect / telling a lie in an email string involving several folks, but then when I called her on it, she suddenly wanted to "stop this line of discussion"

I wasn't rude about it, but I was very direct in providing my proof that what she was saying was not correct.

and I wouldn't let it go. .
    Oh, and yeah. Letting her save face with stopping the line of discussion was the politic thing to do.

And I very much doubt I'd have been able to do it either.

I blow kisses in your general direction.

xxx
    one of the highest principles of America is that we're a nation of people from different backgrounds living in equal dignity and mutual loyalty - Eboo Patel.

*hugs*

(And after the hug, you noticed your watch had vanished... )
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by Night Swordsman View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I like cats AND dogs (I have both!). Kittens just make me go aww.

But since you requested no kitties..this one time only:

Picture wouldnt show. Grr.

Here is the link: http://www.dailycuteness.com/wp-cont...animals001.jpg
    aww. . just what I always wanted:

but heck, it's the thought that counts :)

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    *tacklehugs!!!*

There---feel better?
    oh much!

can't wait to do it in person at D*con -- I've gained some weight back, so I'm all soft, like a a bean-bag chair (and way more fun to sit on).

my face is leaving in 5 minutes -- be on it!

hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McEnery View Post
    Oh, and yeah. Letting her save face with stopping the line of discussion was the politic thing to do.

And I very much doubt I'd have been able to do it either.

I blow kisses in your general direction.

xxx
    thanks.

yeah, I wish I could do the office politics better.

I just seem unable to!

(and thanks to everyone else who responded too)

My give a damn's busted. KevinTBrown's Avatar

and I wouldn't let it go.

eventually, she asked me "who is your Manager". . and I very politely responded : They have been copied on this entire thread, and provided thier names.

(very nice of me, as there were several ways I could have suggested she get that information -- but went the "nice" route).

we shall see if anything comes of it tomorrow.

if I'm let go due to this, I honestly don't care -- as I know that I was correct.

but still, I can see this as being a flaw.

I just wish I did the "office politics" better.

I need a hug (and not from no damn kitties).

Bert, I can definitely relate. It's why I do everything by email and not by phone.

I work in the financial business. I mainly handle collateral calls. It's fairly routine for a security to mature and it needs to be replaced with a new one. When this happens, I email the party that's be affected and say we'll be replacing it and the maturing security will need to be un-pledged. 99.99999999999999% it's never a problem.

Wellllllllllllll. this is the one time that the .00000000000001% doesn't pay attention and they were literally trying to ream me for not informing them, that they never gave permission to remove the securities, and on and on and on..... First of all, it requires signatures on a letter from an authorized signer from MY firm and theirs for any movement to be done. (Had proof of that,) Second, unless they respond in agreement to my email, it won't get done because I'll keep hounding them for it. (And I had proof of that.)

Long story short: I ended up attaching something like 3 PDF files showing the signed forms, 4 email exchanges about it, and proof that the maturing security was moved and the new replaced it. I CC'd EVERYONE I could on that email, including 4 different managers at my firm.

Funny thing is that I got a very short reply from them: "Thank you."

Oh, and the kicker? This movement was done last November and they waited until MAY to question it.

Bert, go get her!
    The floggings will continue until morale improves. ~ anonymous

Everybody has a right to have an opinion, no matter how wrong they might be.

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives. ~ John Stuart Mill

Senior Member Sally Sensational's Avatar

my face is leaving in 5 minutes -- be on it!
    Why would she want to do that? You'll just say EEEWWWW! and she won't be able to see you smile!

Anywhosits - I know how you feel and I send sympathy and soccer-mom hugs (they're the ones with the peanut butter smears all over them).
    Gail Simone: "AND Sally doesn't look anything like a soccer mom...she looks like a hot blonde woman who will throw down if necessary. I liked her!"

The ALL-NEW Deadpool Diaries! HE'S BA-ACK! No Registration required to comment!

thanks.

yeah, I wish I could do the office politics better.

I just seem unable to!

(and thanks to everyone else who responded too)

And actually, I want to throw in a bonus word of encouragement. Thing is, you're right. It's good to stand up for non-shit practices. The world would be a better place if it didn't suck, and people like that make it suck. And people like you keep it right.

And I say that having gotten into it with you on occasion when we've both been right and stubborn and passionate and hurt about it (I don't often admit to the hurt bit, because I'm Jonah Hex or some shit).

Everyone who's a quality person is willing to take some lumps to stand up to suckiness (even if not especially when we're wrong). Better to learn when to mouth off to the cop, as it were; and when to push it, and when to let it go and trust that what we've said will percolate.

Slow process though. Pushing 48, and I'm still rubbish at it. But one lives in hope.

Default Was this issue really so

important though? At the end of the day is there really anything at an office job that is worth fighting over? When I was 21 I thought there was but I developed a healthy sense of apathy and cynicism quickly enough.