Veteran Member Spackling Compound's Avatar

Default What's Happening to the Crankshaft comic strip?

In the past three days, it appears Crankshaft is wheelchair bound, in the care of a nurse and on oxygen. Last week he was burning down the yard, as usual.

Anyone know?
    Spack, I don't agree with you on much, and I rather think you're something of a dick, but you are occasionally funny as hell. Jeffrey W.Kramer
    “Those stories do what superheroes do best - they save you." Tom Batuik on Superman comics.

Question I'd like to know too.....

I also follow the Crankshaft series, and I'm a bit confused. In the past, the artists have used a similar approach to indicate the upcoming demise of a character ( Like when Lucy, the elderly neighbor died ).
    I was sad from the onset. I saw the old man in the wheelchair wearing Crankshafts coat, and resembling him, and thought Uh-oh. Then they did the graduating flashback thing.....first day it was him going to a game with his dad, then him playing ball as a young man, then him going to a game with his kids, then him going to a game with his adult kids, then him going to a game with his older adult kids with in-laws........looks like it was leading to somewhere and then the artists dropped it.
    I have two theories. Number one: The Crankshaft character was based on someone in the artists life who did in fact pass away ( They always keep a few extra panels on hand for emergencies and vacations....which is what I think we're seeing now ) and they are dealing with familial issues. Number two: The artists were considering retiring and wanted to kill off the character to do so ( This one is a long shot )
    Either way, it stinks! If anyone finds out anything concrete, please let me know! Thanks
    John

My give a damn's busted. KevinTBrown's Avatar

Back to normal this week, but there looks to be danger lurking in the garden he's working on.
    The floggings will continue until morale improves. ~ anonymous

Everybody has a right to have an opinion, no matter how wrong they might be.

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives. ~ John Stuart Mill

Wheres my invisible Tiger Spiffy's Avatar

They make a comic about this?

Heh. Actually its been years since I read the Crankshaft comic, and really I never followed it that closely.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTBrown View Post
    Back to normal this week, but there looks to be danger lurking in the garden he's working on.
    Did you see the latest strip? In today's installment, it looks like the dog spoilers:
    has discovered a rattlesnake in the bushes
    end of spoilers.

Veteran Member Spackling Compound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTBrown View Post
    My paper carries Crankshaft but not Funky Winkerbean. But some Funky sites say that somehow the Funky-verse has been projected 10 years in the future (ala DC?) and maybe this was some fall-out from that.

It was weird though. One week he was blowing up his grill and complaining about the cookies in the break-room and the next week he's an invalid and today he's in his garden noodling around.
    Spack, I don't agree with you on much, and I rather think you're something of a dick, but you are occasionally funny as hell. Jeffrey W.Kramer
    “Those stories do what superheroes do best - they save you." Tom Batuik on Superman comics.

Crankshaft and Funky Winkerbean have never appear in the papers in Ireland (as far as I know) so i only know of them via The Comics Curmudgeon. It's sort of hysterical what a swirling void of existential despair those funnies seem to be.

The soap opera style strips would drive Pollyanna over a cliff.
    " Why do stars suddenly appear, every time I drink beer ? " ~~~ Karen Ellis

Default Way to Go, Ed!!

Well, it's about time the "comic strips" dealt with the end of life and death as it actually is experienced by people. I grew to like Ed Crankshaft and am sorry to see him age, but that is what happens to us all. Let's say You Go Ed and a wod of thanks to the creator for many chucklefull moments over the years. gsg

Quote Originally Posted by Spackling Compound View Post
    In the past three days, it appears Crankshaft is wheelchair bound, in the care of a nurse and on oxygen. Last week he was burning down the yard, as usual.

Anyone know?
    Tom Batiuk, who is by all accounts a very nice person, is the greatest purveyor of misery in the history of comic strips.

Seriously, everything is about someone dying or getting cancer or being an alcoholic or being otherwise traumatized.

And they make jokes throughout, sad jokes to try and gain perspective on their misery.

I realize it's supposed to be like real life, but no one, NO ONE I know is as consistently miserable as the characters in his comic strips. It's like watching an orphanage full of puppies burn down.

Haven't read his stuff in years, but by all accounts, it's as depressing as ever. I just couldn't take it any more.

Here's the latest Sunday strip, I think:

Quote Originally Posted by BRS102 View Post
    I also follow the Crankshaft series, and I'm a bit confused. In the past, the artists have used a similar approach to indicate the upcoming demise of a character ( Like when Lucy, the elderly neighbor died ).
    I was sad from the onset. I saw the old man in the wheelchair wearing Crankshafts coat, and resembling him, and thought Uh-oh. Then they did the graduating flashback thing.....first day it was him going to a game with his dad, then him playing ball as a young man, then him going to a game with his kids, then him going to a game with his adult kids, then him going to a game with his older adult kids with in-laws........looks like it was leading to somewhere and then the artists dropped it.
    I have two theories. Number one: The Crankshaft character was based on someone in the artists life who did in fact pass away ( They always keep a few extra panels on hand for emergencies and vacations....which is what I think we're seeing now ) and they are dealing with familial issues. Number two: The artists were considering retiring and wanted to kill off the character to do so ( This one is a long shot )
    Either way, it stinks! If anyone finds out anything concrete, please let me know! Thanks
    John
    Tom Batiuk is usually the writer of the strip. He is usually the artist of the strip. Sometimes he has help doing both.

And I haven't heard anything about him wanting to retire soon. So let's not start that rumor, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Tom Batiuk, who is by all accounts a very nice person, is the greatest purveyor of misery in the history of comic strips.

Seriously, everything is about someone dying or getting cancer or being an alcoholic or being otherwise traumatized.

And they make jokes throughout, sad jokes to try and gain perspective on their misery.

I realize it's supposed to be like real life, but no one, NO ONE I know is as consistently miserable as the characters in his comic strips. It's like watching an orphanage full of puppies burn down.

Haven't read his stuff in years, but by all accounts, it's as depressing as ever. I just couldn't take it any more.
    Batiuk has won awards for the reality he displays concerning the drama of real life. He simply uses the comic strip to portray reality.

I certainly hope reality doesn't make you depressed.