Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For The Love of Irv Novick

Springing out of the Jim Aparo thread which actually came from another thread let's take a moment to appreciate another Batman artist of the Bronze age: Irv Novick. While not as stylized as Adams and Aparo were, Irv was pretty important in defining the image of the Bronze era Batman and unlike Jim he was actually part of one of Batman's most defining runs in the O'Neil/Adams era. It should actually be O'Neil/Adams/Novick (not to mention Dick Giordano) when people speak of redefining Batman in the early 70's. Not to mention Irv drew the book before and after Neal Adams and into the 80's. I know a lot of people like the Frank Miller idea of a muscle bound Batman, but I prefer how Irv (and Neal and Jim) always drew Batman as long and lean with a mile long cape. One of my most memorable Novick stories was the culmination of what was actually the failure of Batman and Catwoman's relationship which resulted in her crying in his arms (after trying to kill him of course) where he apologized for hurting her. Yeah, I miss a sane Batman who was in touch with his feelings.

Novick was a great Batman artist. Showcase Presents Batman Vol. 4 (scheduled for release next week) contains his earliest work on the character (apart from a few covers that were in Vol. 3).
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

This thread is worthless withou pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Novick was a great Batman artist. Showcase Presents Batman Vol. 4 (scheduled for release next week) contains his earliest work on the character (apart from a few covers that were in Vol. 3).
    Excellent! Thanks for the info.

Here's an idex of his DC work. LOTS of stuff here...

http://www.dcindexes.com/database/cr...hp?creatorid=5
    Jim Zimmerman

Damn it, I was looking forward to having money.

A Novick.. Novick, Adams, O'Neil... Jesus I miss the 70s Batman.
    "A wise old owl lived in an Oak,
    The more he saw the less he spoke,
    The less he spoke the more he heard,
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?
    "

Quote Originally Posted by WorstThingUS View Post
    One of my most memorable Novick stories was the culmination of what was actually the failure of Batman and Catwoman's relationship which resulted in her crying in his arms (after trying to kill him of course) where he apologized for hurting her. Yeah, I miss a sane Batman who was in touch with his feelings.
    I read that when I was younger and agree it really struck a chord. Still great when I bought and read it again a few years ago. I love that panel with them holding each other on the floor

There's so much more great stuff that needs to be reprinted from the 70's and 80's.

I really like Irv Novick, thought less than I like Neal Adams or Jim Aparo. He was an artist with a great classic style and we he was inked by Dick Giordano it really shone. One thing that was cool about Irv was his sense of realism. When he drew close ups of Batman's gloves he would draw the seams. I always thought that was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Utility Belt View Post
    One thing that was cool about Irv was his sense of realism. When he drew close ups of Batman's gloves he would draw the seams. I always thought that was cool.
    I'm almost certain that the first Novick stories I encountered were the two reprinted in Batman From the 30's to the 70's. I can vouch for that sense of realism you describe since I experienced it first hand in both stories. The first was the One Bullet, Too Many classic from Batman 217. We've seen Batman get shot what? 100 times? 150? This issue marks the only occasion in which seeing Batman take a bullet made me squirm. He takes a bullet in the shoulder and collapses to the floor. There's no blood or hole in his body as the Comics Code would have been in full effect in 1969, but seeing him grit his teeth and writhe in agony as he then insists that the doctor present remove the slug from his body in that instant to help him identify the shooter, still makes me uncomfortable. He doesn't just grit his teeth, Novick drew to perfection how someone would react if a set of tweezers were shoved into a bullet hole to remove a slug. He actually drew Batman tensing his muscles which you wouldn't think would be possible to depict in a single panel. He had him twist his neck as the tweezers reached the bullet, he drew his shoulder as if Batman were simultaneously wanting to retract it into his body while keeping it still. Beads of sweat were dripping down his forehead, his brow was twisted in agony, his eyes made it apparent that he was fighting just to stay conscious. Just an incredible scene, one of the most intense Batman moments I've ever come across.

The second story in this volume was the Demon of Gothos Mansion. There's a scene in this issue in which Batman's hands are tied around his back a noose placed around his neck as he's forced to stand on a platform which is being slowly lowered into the ground. I don't know if it was the plot or the way Novick interpreted this scene, but I've never forgotten the maniacal look on the villain's face as he explains the trap to Batman. Nor have I ever forgotten Batman's expression as he slowly strangles on the noose; desperately swings by the neck like a pendulum as he attempts to reach a torch with his feet to burn the rope; and the way he twists his body once he's put this plan into motion.

Incidentally, both stories were told in issues which featured a classic Neal Adams cover - the first was Batman 217 in which Batman orders Alfred to take one last look at the Bat-Cave before sealing it up for good, and the second was Batman 227 where Adams modernized Bob Kane's cover for Tec 31 to create his own classic 'Ominious giant Batman stands overlooking castle' image. If I had to, I might concede that I prefer Adams to Novick, but despite how incredible these covers looked, I'm glad that it was Irv Novick's pencils that graced the interiors of those issues.

Bumping this up because I found one of my favorite Irv Novick stories online: the team-ups with...The Shadow:

...the other:

The Batman "Showcase" volume that came out a few weeks ago contains a lot of Novick's earliest Batman work. The volume is almost entirely Novick (Batman) and Bob Brown (Detective) stories.
    Jim Zimmerman

I agree with most of what has already been said. I really like (& miss) the Batman of the 70's. Irv Novick was one of the great Batman artists & also one of the best Flash artists IMO.

Bumping this up because apparently a couple of issues suddenly makes you a definitive Batman artist, as opposed to Irv Novick who was not only part of the Dark Knight revitalization with Neal Adams, but drew over 80 issues of Batman and over 30 of Detective Comics. Damn, kids don't know nothin' about history. And they won't get off my lawn!