Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Default Etiquette on removing other people's clothes from washing machine

About an hour ago, I went to put my clothes in the wash. I found that the washing machines I prefer to use were all full of already washed clothes, but the owner of the clothes had not yet been by to remove them. The only alternative was to use other washing machines that were further away from the dryers, so I took the clothes out of the machines. I put some of them on a table and the rest on the lid of another washing machine.

When I came back to put my clothes in the dryer, I found a note taped to one of the washing machines. It said something like "Never touch anyone else's clothing again. If you do the poilce will be called and we will wait for you."

I realize that what I did was sort of rude, but I've done it numerous times while I was in college, and I never encountered this sort of extreme reaction. I find it hard to believe that I did anything illegal or that the police would have come if they'd been called. So did I violate laundry room etiquette, or was the owner of the clothes overreacting?
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

It's common when I lived in a flat. They were always polite enough to make it in a tidy pile, though it's somewhat irksome when the clothes are from the washer. Guess it was just the custom of the apartment complex.

I'd do the same, just with Dryers only. Half the time it was due to one or two washers or dryers knocked out, and an annoying distance between other wash-rooms (which always seemed to work fine, but weren't worth trudging over with clothes constantly falling out of the hamper). I wished the otherwise fine washers didn't malfunction every other month. -_-

Next time, write a "Then Hurry The Fuck Up" on the paper.
    Last edited by Radioactive Zombie; 07-12-2009 at 02:52 PM.

I take people's laundry out all the time. But only - and I stress the "only" - if there are no other machines free.

It's really embarrassing to have a woman walk into the laundry room when you've got an armload of her underwear.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tim Drake View Post
    When I came back to put my clothes in the dryer, I found a note taped to one of the washing machines. It said something like "Never touch anyone else's clothing again. If you do the police will be called and we will wait for you."
    The police might be called. But they won't come.

"Someone touched my clothes!" isn't much of a priority with law enforcement.

Go figure.
    "A true friend stabs you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
    I take people's laundry out all the time. But only - and I stress the "only" - if there are no other machines free.

It's really embarrassing to have a woman walk into the laundry room when you've got an armload of her underwear.
    Not to mention if you're trying to rearrange a bra falling off the pile or something. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    The police might be called. But they won't come.

"Someone touched my clothes!" isn't much of a priority with law enforcement.

Go figure.
    It'd be common knowledge (well, except the butthurt launderer) that cops wouldn't care about someone moving your clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Radioactive Zombie View Post
    It'd be common knowledge (well, except the butthurt launderer) that cops wouldn't care about someone moving your clothes.
    Hell, in cases like this if the cops respond at all it's the caller who gets in trouble, as well they should.

No, law enforcement doesn't exist to make sure you get your chicken nuggets.

Let me also note:

1) It was women's clothing, including underwear and bras. I don't see why this should make a difference, though.

2) There is a large and prominent sign in the laundry room that says NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ARTICLES LEFT IN MACHINE.

3) Just before I wrote this, I went back to the laundry room to put my clean clothes in the dryer. All the dryers were full, but most of them were full of clothes that were already dry. Because I'm afraid of how the aforementioned person might react if I empty out the dryers, I am now forced to just wait to use the dryers until she decides to collect her clothes. (Although I suppose that the situation is different for dryers than washers, because clothes continue to dry after the dryer is finished running.)

My feeling is that if you can't be bothered to take your clothes out of the washer in a timely fashion, you have no right to complain when someone else does your job for you. I think I might complain to the building manager about this treatment.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

I'd say ignore it, in my opinion. If she does wait all day to try and claw your ass for touching her stuff, ignore whatever she hurls at you.

It's just some damn clothing.

My feeling is that if you can't be bothered to take your clothes out of the washer in a timely fashion, you have no right to complain when someone else does your job for you. I think I might complain to the building manager about this treatment.
    Do you still have the note? I'd bring that to the building manager.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

I agree.

You'd think people this lazy would appreciate having a step in the laundry process taken out of their hands.

I would think your building manager would be on your side in this. That sign you mentioned is there, in part, for situations like this.

If you leave your clothes unattended in a publicly accessible washer for long periods of time, whatever happens to them is on you.

If you don't like the idea of someone touching your clothes, then damned well collect them in a timely fashion.

Do you still have the note? I'd bring that to the building manager.
    I still have the note, but unfortunately the writer was too cowardly to sign it.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

Where the Highway Ends and the Desert Breaks

My apartment has only 1 washer and dryer for 12 units :/

Plus it's at the back of the parking garage in a storage room with no folding tables. If someone leaves their clothes in, you're pretty much screwed unless you toss them on the concrete.

If there are limited washers/dryers or the laundromat is particularly busy, then leaving clothes unattended is rude. But if there are 5 open washers, those should be used before taking out another person's clothes.

Apartment complexes lend themselves to anonymous jackassery: using all the washers, overflowing the dumpster, leaving furniture and boxes on the curb, piling junkmail at the mailbox, blasting loud music. Really brings out the finer side of people.
    Last edited by Serik; 07-12-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    "Everybody, sooner or later, sits down to a banquet of consequences." - Robert Louis Stevenson

I realize that what I did was sort of rude, but I've done it numerous times while I was in college, and I never encountered this sort of extreme reaction. I find it hard to believe that I did anything illegal or that the police would have come if they'd been called. So did I violate laundry room etiquette, or was the owner of the clothes overreacting?
    Yeah, you broke etiquitte! College life is different than real life. Though going to the police on this sort of thing is a bit much.

A good rule from Howy.

Yes, 1. I'd only do it IF there were no other option being that the person washing should be keeping any eye on their stuff. and 2. Even so, I usually give people about 15-20 min before I'd touch their stuff.

AND if I did, I would not just throw it on top of a dirty washer, willy-nilly.

Quote Originally Posted by Serik View Post
    Apartment complexes lend themselves to anonymous jackassery: using all the washers, overflowing the dumpster, leaving furniture and boxes on the curb, piling junkmail at the mailbox, blasting loud music. Really brings out the finer side of people.
    Meh. Thankfully, my flat, aside from the really loud love disputes from an apartment that overlooked the entire parking lot, and endless amounts of garbage (even with every damn recyclable item in the designated bins, they'd still always be full).

Though, some jackasses would wreck the laundry machines once in a while.