Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: IN-DEPTH: Erik Larsen

Image Comics founder and Savage Dragon creator Erik Larsen goes in-depth
    about his long career in comic books, starting from his earliest fanzine work to his
    tenure as Publisher of Image and beyond.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Image Comics founder and Savage Dragon creator Erik Larsen goes in-depth
    about his long career in comic books, starting from his earliest fanzine work to his
    tenure as Publisher of Image and beyond.

Full article here.
    good article, i would have been interested in hearing why he doesnt want to go back to marvel and DC or why he couldnt use wolverine, etc...

it seems like alot of interesting points were glossed over in the sense of exploring why his feelings are the way they are.

i do understand his point about drawing batman/spiderman and how a million people have done it. I dont agree but i understand.

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by stojr View Post
    good article, i would have been interested in hearing why he doesnt want to go back to marvel and DC or why he couldnt use wolverine, etc...

it seems like alot of interesting points were glossed over in the sense of exploring why his feelings are the way they are.

i do understand his point about drawing batman/spiderman and how a million people have done it. I dont agree but i understand.
    He's one of those guys who likes to be left to his own devices. Honestly which I think works best for him because his Marvel and DC books post Image left me cold (still love his old Spider-man stuff though). He's got a book where he can do whatever he wants without any editoral interference. Who wouldn't want that?

☿Mecurial master of media Living Silver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GRANT! View Post
    He's one of those guys who likes to be left to his own devices. Honestly which I think works best for him because his Marvel and DC books post Image left me cold (still love his old Spider-man stuff though). He's got a book where he can do whatever he wants without any editoral interference. Who wouldn't want that?
    One other thing to consider- it doesn't sound like his heart was truely into those other books while he worked on them. If that is not the case, then you can't expect the best he is capable of. It makes a lot of sense that getting his name back out there in the mainstream scene would help Dragon sales, but if one is going to do that then one needs to make sure that they are going to be bringing their A game.

In regard to the interveiew, great job Erik! Very classy job. Talking about Image history and interactions with other creators in general can get sticky, but I think you did a fine job of providing truth without digging dirt.

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex A Sanchez View Post
    One other thing to consider- it doesn't sound like his heart was truely into those other books while he worked on them. If that is not the case, then you can't expect the best he is capable of. It makes a lot of sense that getting his name back out there in the mainstream scene would help Dragon sales, but if one is going to do that then one needs to make sure that they are going to be bringing their A game.
    I think Nova was something he was excited about. I think there was just a lot of editorial interference with those books.

...there will be more issues from the “Next Issue Project”...
    About the same time we see a wrap-up on THE TWELVE. The project was announced, what, just about two years ago now and we've seen a grand total of one issue? It simply can't be that hard to get six pages from each of ten creative teams over the course of two full years. Just. Can't.

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by ykw View Post
    About the same time we see a wrap-up on THE TWELVE. The project was announced, what, just about two years ago now and we've seen a grand total of one issue? It simply can't be that hard to get six pages from each of ten creative teams over the course of two full years. Just. Can't.
    I don't know who the creative teams are. It's a pretty ambitious project and a lot of the people they are going after are fairly big names who have a lot on their plate. I know they are working on a couple of them at once so hopefully they come out on a more regular pace.

Buy Savage Dragon!

I don't know who the creative teams are. It's a pretty ambitious project and a lot of the people they are going after are fairly big names who have a lot on their plate. I know they are working on a couple of them at once so hopefully they come out on a more regular pace.
    Also, I don't think it was supposed to be a "regular" thing. There were going to be scattered issues here and there. Yeah, it would've been cooler if there was more than one released so far but as you said, there's some big names involved and some busy names.

The books weren't solicited or anything (beyond the one that's come out) so when the creators that haven't handed their stuff in deliver, it'll get solicited and come out. We just have to be more patient, I guess.
    - Gav

If you've ever thought about trying Savage Dragon but the high issue numbers intimidate you, why not visit the SD Wiki? You'll catch up in no time.

http://savagedragonwiki.wikispaces.com/

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Higginbotham, BotF View Post
    Also, I don't think it was supposed to be a "regular" thing. There were going to be scattered issues here and there. Yeah, it would've been cooler if there was more than one released so far but as you said, there's some big names involved and some busy names.

The books weren't solicited or anything (beyond the one that's come out) so when the creators that haven't handed their stuff in deliver, it'll get solicited and come out. We just have to be more patient, I guess.
    Well I met that we''ll see it more "frequently." Honestly I just want them to be as good as the first book.

What the...?

Besides Next Issue Project he talks about some other cool things.

Always. Besides “Savage Dragon” and “Image United” there will be more issues from the “Next Issue Project” and another ongoing series as well as a special book with Bruce Timm and a cast of thousands. I’m keeping busy.
    I'm glad he's still going to do that second ongoing book. That was announced a while ago (2007?) Also the Bruce Timm book was in the works for a while apparently Dave Johnson said a year a two ago he's contributing something to that. I can't wait.

What the...?

Besides Next Issue Project he talks about some other cool things.

Always. Besides “Savage Dragon” and “Image United” there will be more issues from the “Next Issue Project” and another ongoing series as well as a special book with Bruce Timm and a cast of thousands. I’m keeping busy.
    I'm glad he's still going to do that second ongoing book. That was announced a while ago (2007?) Also the Bruce Timm book was in the works for a while apparently Dave Johnson said a year a two ago he's contributing something to that. I can't wait.

Buy Savage Dragon!

Well I met that we''ll see it more "frequently." Honestly I just want them to be as good as the first book.
    Agreed. I'll admit that it's Erik's contributions that I'm buying them for (seriously can't wait to see Erik's Daredevil story!) but the fact that pretty much all of the stories in the first book were awesome is a huge bonus.
    - Gav

If you've ever thought about trying Savage Dragon but the high issue numbers intimidate you, why not visit the SD Wiki? You'll catch up in no time.

http://savagedragonwiki.wikispaces.com/