Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Heroes & Villians That Have Committed Suicide.

I was thinking about this the other what heroes or villians have committed suicide. I mean just suicide not that "I will sacrifice my life for the greater good" stuff. Like Colossus injecting himself with the cure for the Legacy Virus.

The only one I could think of was, of course, Kraven at the end of Kraven's Last Hunt.

Cool exec, heart of steel BillR's Avatar

Mysterio shot himself too, but, well, he got better. Sort of. And he's coming back, at any rate.

I'll try to avoid those already listed.

DC

Per Degaton -- Pre-COIE only, shot himself to avoid one final capture by the JSA; America Vs. The JSA #4. Post-COIE, he was subject to a time paradox, but his lover, the robot Mekanique, slew him and then destroyed herself in Infinity, Inc. Annual #2.
    Vigilante (Adrian Chase) -- Killed himself via gunshot after deiding he'd gone too far morally; Vigilante v.1 #50
    Danko Twag -- Committed suicide in Birds of Prey #52 upon capture by Oracle; claimed to be the real Killer Moth

Marvel

Mister Immortal -- Several tims in the GLA miniseries, thwarted by his own powers, but not for lack of trying.
    Adam Warlock -- Committed "cosmic suicide" in Warlock #9, though the actual killer was Thanos in Avengers Annual #7; however, Warock had guaranteed his own near-future death by manipulating his literal "life's path" much earlier.
    Punisher -- Shot himself in Punisher: Revelations #1; resurrected almost immediately by supernatural means
    Rachel Van Helsing -- Assisted suicide by Wolverine after she was turned into a vampire by Dracula; Uncanny X-Men Annual #6
    Executioner (Skurge) -- Remained to hold the bridge from Hel in Thor v.1 #362; his words before this indicate that he saw this lss as a self-sacrifice than as an honorable way to kill himself
    Grim Reaper -- ambiguous, but likely; leapt to his detah in Vision and the Scarlet Witch v.2 #2; resurrected as a zombie, then eventually fully resurrected
    Obadiah Stane -- repulsor ray, Iron Man v.1 #200
    Scorpio (Jake Fury) -- gunshot, Defenders v.1 #50; involuntarily resurrected as an LMD
    Maelstrom -- Talked into suicide to avoid loneliness in GLA: Missassembled #4.
    Half-Life (Tony Masterson) -- Committed suicide whent he Hulk pointed out that he would never return to noral humanity; Incredible Hulk v.1 #342

DC
    Dream – The entire Sandman series was essentially one big cosmic suicide attempt. He may have had other beings pull the trigger but he arranged his own death.

Marvel
    Thanos – Speaking of big cosmic suicide attempts … well this guy is practically the poster boy for them. Granted it never works for very long and most of his deaths are technically murders but the guy could easily dispatch assassins like Drax if not for his Death wish.
    Mister Immortal – Fairly self-explanatory. You can’t overlook that the guy is blatantly suicidal and has killed himself on numerous occasions just because he always gets better.
    New and improved me. Now with a CAPITAL “B”.

Debatable cases;

Jean Grey's death was a suicide, since she wasn't necessarily going to destroy any more solar systems, but she chose to die with human dignity rather than try to contain a godlike force of destruction.

Hank Pym tried in the early West Coast Avengers comics, but was stopped before he pulled the trigger.

In the Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes back-up strips, there's a short story illustrated by Clayton Crain about Cyclops practicing ( and succeeding ) at killing himself with his own optic blast.

Eddie Brock tried during Marvel Knights Spider-Man, after the symbiote he auctioned off to the mafia family runt was used for a killing spree.

The Joker did so in Dark Knight Returns, and his dialogue indicates that he knew Batman wouldn't have had the guts to ( a final act to torment Bruce ).

The Cyborg Superman ( Hank Henshaw ) really wants to, but it's never stuck.

Tony Stark's current storyline, where he's deleting his brain so Osborn can't get to it and losing more and more intellectual ability in the process, seems to fit this pretty well.

Anyone mention Kraven The Hunter yet?

DC

Atoman (Top 10 #12): Joe Pi convinces Atoman, a superhero and child molester, to kill himself to avoid being captured.

Marvel

Tarantula (Amazing Spider-Man #236): incites policemen to kill him after he's turned into an actual giant spider. Disgusted with his new form, he decides to put himself out of his misery.

Sin Eater (Spectacular Spider-Man #136): a tricky one; by this time, the Sin-eater were two personalities: the villain and Stanley Carter; so it's debatable whether it was suicide or not. Carter, guilty of what his double personality was doing, tricks the Sin-eater into pointing an empty gun against the police and being promptly massacred, having the last laugh on the villain. I loved this story!

I recall Manchester Black using his own powers to blow himself away when he realized, no matter what he did, he could NEVER beat Superman.

Literally. Made a gun gesture with his hand and used it to project his power into killing himself.

......and it seems Marvel has far more suicide victims than DC.

Is there a message there??

DC:

Multi-man (although, given he is reborn with new powers every time he dies, this a deliberate tactic rather than an actual attempt to end himself)

The Cavalier from the 'Blades' arc in Legends of the Dark Knight: suicide by cop.

Marvel:

The commander of the Secret Empire (implied to be Richard Nixon)

H.E.R.B.I.E. Destroyed himself to prevent him being taken over by Dr Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Multi-man (although, given he is reborn with new powers every time he dies, this a deliberate tactic rather than an actual attempt to end himself)
    In the DC event built around the Joker "Last Laugh", Multi-man's predicament was really funny as they kept trying to come up with NEW ways to kill him over and over and over again...
    OzBat!

Now with 150% more SNARK!

I promise that I understand your respect and toleration of my positions does not imply you agree with me. If you promise that my respect and toleration of your positions does not imply you have open season on mine.

Are you a Rules Lawyer? Try annoying someone who cares!

Quote Originally Posted by OzBat! View Post
    In the DC event built around the Joker "Last Laugh", Multi-man's predicament was really funny as they kept trying to come up with NEW ways to kill him over and over and over again...
    I don't recall the "new ways" (though it sounds familiar) so much as I recall Joker just shooting him several times in a row with Multi-Man weakly listing whatever his new (unimpressive) power was.

Karma ran over Dogma grphxkindaguy's Avatar

DC had Ressurrection Man.

In the 1,000,000 issue had a device on his arm that would kill him at the touch of a button. He was fighting some foe and needed a specific power to beat him, so he kept killing himself until he got it!

Didn't the Comet (golden age Archie hero) kill himself WAY BACK in the 40s? Or am I misremembering?
    Ted Kord is Blue Beetle!
    Kyle Rainer is the one true Green Lantern!
    Wally West is the Flash!
    Donna Troy is Wonder Girl!

The Newer 52! Coming in Summer 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kyoto View Post
    Didn't the Comet (golden age Archie hero) kill himself WAY BACK in the 40s? Or am I misremembering?
    I think you're misremembering. The Comet was the first superhero to be murdered.

We Crossed The Line Brother Justin Crowe's Avatar

The Chameleon threw himself off a bridge back in the late '90s, and then was resurrected without the slightest shred of explanation.

True story? At Wizard World Philly '04, Quesada said I'd win a No-Prize if I could come up with an explanation as to how he lived.

I told him he turned into a dolphin mid-fall. I hope that's canon.
    I rule me.