Page 212 of 380 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222262312 ... LastLast
Results 3,166 to 3,180 of 5690
  1. #3166
    Forever Walker remydat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    6,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    That's the way you see it. I see it as noting and wanting Marvel to do their job and promote a solo book like they should. You mentioned Gambit and talked about so many other characters not being used. Those characters do no have solo titles that Marvel should be trying to sell and to do that they they should give the character the same exposure they can - like they have Hawkeye. That's not asking for their attention, its stating a good business practice they seem devoid of. You don't start a solo title by having the main character look like a chump to your sacred cow character repeatedly like they did in AxV. Its poor business sense.



    I don't either. My comic buys have slipped to nothing. I use to pick up way more x-books than Gambit was in but I don't any more. I completely skipped all of AvX.

    I do love Asmus enthusiasm for the character in his interview and hope we can get to the hints about Gambit heritage and working with other MU characters after the next few arcs.
    Yes we can agree it may be bad business but it is their bad business decision to make. They have finite marketing dollars annd maybe they have decided let's spend it on the characters that need it and take ths chance that Gambit can sell without the promotion. Who knows bit the point is the milk has been spilled and it is not getting cleaned up anytime soon.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

    "Let me go first Lorna. I'm their freaking King!"

  2. #3167
    Junior Member belay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dehradun,India
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemmy View Post
    Marrow hasn't given any indication that she does remember. At least, not that I'm aware of.

    The whole discussion about Gambit in other books feels like 'we should be grateful vs wanting more'. I have a different take. While I am grateful for solo, I do want him to be seen in a core title. As I see some have said, the handwriting is on the wall. With no support from Marvel and sales dropping with the solo, it's probably not going to last past this year and with no writer wanting to write him, he'll be in limbo. Because AXM sales aren't that great either which will warrant either a cancellation or (more likely) a relaunch with a new writer and since Gambit's not a fav amongst most writers, we won't have him in that either.

    While sales aren't that important to us reading the book, it's important to Marvel. With none of the current writers with the core books caring for him, we're looking at limbo or worse yet, a Jean/Nightcrawler send-off. So while I don't think his presence in a core book is essential to up sales in his solo or just wanting more Gambit, I also don't see the 'just be grateful' thing either, because, all in all, he'll NEED a writer to use him by the end of this year or he's basically gone.
    I totally agree with you.Gambit's future does look very dark. He was the character who made me interested in the x-men with the animated series then the comics.

  3. #3168
    Forever Walker remydat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    6,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Its not a defeatist attitude accepting things as they are. I mean this is the way of things
    Gambit most likely will get cancelled in the future,relaunched(longshot), or he'll be shunted off to another team book to compensate. I don't want to say Sales mean little because ultimately for solo titles they do mean a lot but if he appears in a team book that sells 50k its not gonna cause more people to run out and buy a Gambit trade.
    If the solo is gone in the future I imagine most will be asking writers who aren't interested in using him to stick him in somewhere.

    The determining factor in people wanting to use Gambit is down to quality if Asmus tells some really good stories that define the character over all decade long period of him not being used they'll take notice.
    Exactly I will worry about what I can change. Getting Asmus and Liu to write good stories is important. If the editors like them then they get bigger projects. Gen Hope got canceled but it still helped Asmus get the Gambit gig. X-23 got canceled but it skill helped Liu get AXM. You want to see Gamhit prominent in a main title? Your best bet is Asmus or Liu getting tabbed to write one.

    Cancellations don't matter as much as whether the people making the decisions or write the stories like Gambit. If those books get canceled but Asmus and Liu get other gigs then they were a success. If they change how other writers view Gambit then they were a success. If some kid readingnitnright now loves it and ends up writing Xmen for Marvel it was a success. That id what I care about long term and that is stuff that I can potentilly influence through my support or asking them questions that help them think of cool story ideas.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

    "Let me go first Lorna. I'm their freaking King!"

  4. #3169
    Forever Walker remydat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    6,139

    Default

    Guys I am pretty sure Marvel knows they dealt Asmus a shit hand. Relax and enjoy the solo.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-16-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

    "Let me go first Lorna. I'm their freaking King!"

  5. #3170
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    399

    Default

    I agree with Remydat, just enjoy the solo as it comes out. At the end of the day this solo is a postive addition to Gambit's history, He's been basically ostracized from the X-Men by writers who don't like him for some flimsy fanboy reasons, and may even resent that Gambit has been such a popular character over other X-Men.

    Obviously, Gambit wasn't given a solo because of long term planning, we had years of Racky Lebeau in the X-Books, and then he jobbed horribly to Captain on a large stage during AvsX just before launching the solo.
    Still,the series beat expectations given all the negativity thrown on the character, I mean Namor's series didn't do well, and he was mixing it up in Uncanny,getting heavily pushed, Magneto not a hero never made it to 20,000 despite being doubly pushed on Uncanny, and Carey's flawless interpretation of Magneto was given,( like the B.S concerning the Savage land arc not being about Rogue finding out that Magento is an asshole, and not a noble person like Xavier)

    So overall I am happy with the sales Gambit has achieved under the circumstances,especially missing MARVEL NOW launch window, and constant flow of new materials, I would like to see Gambit's solo stay in the 30,000 range, but that really would be hard to do since he has only one supporting role in Astonishing. and the years of Gambit not actually doing anything other than being wallpaper does take it's toll.
    If this series when to #24 and then we saw Gambit have a greater role in the X-Books, I would be quite happy. But if no one at Marvel wants be put the character over, by utilizing him, then I hope this series continues. But again, things change on a dime, so I am not fretting about Gambit's future.

  6. #3171
    Senior Member purplevit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,541

    Default

    I was wondering if Gambit is able to charge Colossus. He is able to charge Rockslide so he should be able to charge Colossus too. Am i right?

  7. #3172
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belay View Post
    I totally agree with you.Gambit's future does look very dark. He was the character who made me interested in the x-men with the animated series then the comics.
    That's why it's important he's seen in a core title before the solo runs its course.

    BTW guys, I don't believe I gave the impression to not enjoy the solo or worry. Heck, every Gambit fan should be enjoying the solo :) But, my post was cautionary because being seen in a core book isn't so much to do with exposure to benefit the solo but rather, survival of the character.

  8. #3173
    Forever Walker remydat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    6,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemmy View Post
    That's why it's important he's seen in a core title before the solo runs its course.

    BTW guys, I don't believe I gave the impression to not enjoy the solo or worry. Heck, every Gambit fan should be enjoying the solo :) But, my post was cautionary because being seen in a core book isn't so much to do with exposure to benefit the solo but rather, survival of the character.
    Important to whom? If Marvel wants Gambit dead, it does not matter if he is in main title or not. He is dead. Marvel is not making a decision on Gambit based on whether he is in a main title or not. They are making decisions based on their own opinion. And their opinion can be influence by how well Marvel thinks Asmus and Liu did in convincing them that Gambit is a viable character.

    Are people paying attention to Marvel Now? What major presence did Legion have that got him a book? He showed up in a few XML arcs and that's it. What big book was Puck in before getting a role in Xforce? Once again the main thing that will decide his future is whether people at marvel want him in a book not being in a main title. And that largely falls on whether a writer wants to use him not whether he is in UXM. Asmus and Liu still writing books for Marvel is a bigger factor than a wallpaper role in a book. Ketchum who pitched the idea of Gambit to Asmus getting promoted is a bigger factor assuming he actually likes Gambit. The point is people matter not book appearances.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-16-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

    "Let me go first Lorna. I'm their freaking King!"

  9. #3174
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Important to whom?
    Gambit fans, naturally.


    If Marvel wants Gambit dead, it does not matter if he is in main title or not. He is dead.
    True, but, that's not the what this conversation was about. Marvel could re-make him into a fairy if they want, regardless of what title he is in, but, like I said, that Marvel can do whatever they want isn't the topic of the discussion.


    Marvel is not making a decision on Gambit based on whether he is in a main title or not.
    Remydat, you may have to provide proof of such a statement presented in such a definitive way. How are you aware of the truth of your above statement?



    They are making decisions based on their own opinion. And their opinion can be influence by how well Marvel thinks Asmus and Liu did in convincing them that Gambit is a viable character.
    Or their opinion can't be influenced by Asmus/Liu. Unless you know this for sure, it's highly subjective.


    Are people paying attention to Marvel Now? What major presence did Legion have that got him a book? He showed up in a few XML arcs and that's it. What big book was Puck in before getting a role in Xforce?

    I have no idea who Puck is , so, can't speak to that. But, if you want to use Legion as an example, when he's over with in XML (much like when Gambit is done in his solo), if no other writer wants to write him, where do you think he'll end up? Limbo? The point of my comments was to avoid that for Gambit. And I am paying attention to Marvel Now, hence Legion is placed in a book just like Gambit is placed in a book (his solo), none of that has anything to do with the topic though.Gambit was doing nothing much and then he got his solo while the same is true for Legion but again, none of that speaks to what will happen to them after their books run their respective courses.



    Once again the main thing that will decide his future is whether people at marvel want him in a book not being in a main title.

    The point was, being in a main book would up his chances of not being in limbo once his solo is gone.


    And that largely falls on whether a writer wants to use him not whether he is in UXM.
    Agreed but again, the point is if no writer wants to use him even in an appearance in a main title then, post solo, he probably won't be seen.



    Asmus and Liu still writing books for Marvel is a bigger factor than a wallpaper role in a book. Ketchum who pitched the idea of Gambit to Asmus getting promoted is a bigger factor assuming he actually likes Gambit. The point is people matter not book appearances.
    I disagree with that. For one thing, we don't know if Asmus or Liu will be writing for the X-Men by the end of this year and we don't know if Gambit was given a solo by Ketchum to have him be somewhere as nobody wants him in a main book, not necessarily because of love for the character (keep in mind, Ketchum was also the editor on XML when Gambit was the victim of bias, blatant ignorance of canon and mostly wallpaper).

    Gillen wanted Gambit but was told no. And that was Gillen. I'm not sure how much people matter then. I didn't mean to get you upset remydat, just pointing out the benefits of having somebody (anybody) on a main book showcasing Gambit somehow before time runs out on his solo so he won't end up in limbo or worse. Honestly, what's the great harm if Gambit is showcased in a main title?
    Last edited by Gemmy; 01-16-2013 at 05:18 PM.

  10. #3175
    Forever Walker remydat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    6,139

    Default

    Gemmy,

    Just because it is important to Gambit fans doesn't mean it impacts Marvel's decision making. My proof of my statement is Puck. He is an obscure character that was not in a book. He is in a book now because someone at Marvel woke up one day and was like fuck it I miss Puck. My point is Gambit being in a main title is the effect. The cause is an Editor or Writer wanting him there. And an Editor or Writer wanting him there has nothing to do with whether he is currently in a main title or not. It has to do with whether they like him or not period.

    And I was saying Asmus and Liu can influence that just like any writer. If another writer or editor likes Asmus' Gambit, it's not like they will say, I love Asmus's Gambit but I still can't use him because the story didn't take place in a main title. Again, I think you are confusing a fan's desire with what influences decisions at Marvel. Whenever his solo ends, it's success will me measured by whether Marvel liked what Asmus and Liu did enough to give them more jobs where they can potentially use Gambit and whether it changed other writers opinions on the character that they want to use him.

    And Gillen didn't get Gambit because someone higher up than him said no and he by his own admission didn't fight for him. If he really wanted him and went to bat for him, who knows. Again, in the end it comes down to people. I am pretty sure Gillen didn't want Gambit because he was in a main title ie XML. He wanted him because it fit his story mostly likely because Sinister was one of his main villains. So again, main title appearances don't impact decisions any more than any other book. Main book appearences are merely the effect with the cause being someone at marvel going to bat for a character.

    And you did not upset me Gemmy. This is a message board. We are just sharing our ideas and opinions. I was just saying I just hate it when people worry about things they can't change instead of fully enjoying what is right in front of them.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-16-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

    "Let me go first Lorna. I'm their freaking King!"

  11. #3176
    Junior Member Askia32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    322

    Default

    When it comes down to it, it's about money. The gambit solo is dishing out 25-35 thousand in sales the last I checked. This means that if Gambit has a solid role on a main book, it could potentially boost the sales by a considerable amount. I really do not want to think about how long the solo will last, I just want to enjoy it until it ends. When it does eventually end, I do not see Gambit going as deep in limbo as he did before because the circumstances are completely different. I think part of the reason no one wanted to touch him was because of the "Death" bomb. Than Carey used him saying he was going to address it, but decided to piss on the character to further his own agenda.

  12. #3177
    Senior Member Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Askia32 View Post
    When it comes down to it, it's about money. The gambit solo is dishing out 25-35 thousand in sales the last I checked. This means that if Gambit has a solid role on a main book, it could potentially boost the sales by a considerable amount. I really do not want to think about how long the solo will last, I just want to enjoy it until it ends. When it does eventually end, I do not see Gambit going as deep in limbo as he did before because the circumstances are completely different. I think part of the reason no one wanted to touch him was because of the "Death" bomb. Than Carey used him saying he was going to address it, but decided to piss on the character to further his own agenda.
    Me too. Not only do I don't want to think about length of time for the solo, I just don't want to know. I will enjoy the solo and hope for the best.

    Guess we'll see. *fingers crossed* preview pages tomorrow!
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro. AKA - Oliver and Company.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible ta women." - Gambit ANXF #9

  13. #3178
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    399

    Default

    It is a bit worrisome if it's true that editors are shooting down Gambit appearing in Uncanny X-Men when a author has intentions to use him.

  14. #3179
    Dazed and Confused Badou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,129

    Default

    Gambit was too connected to Rogue in XML (even though she just fucking turned him down and decided to date Mags) so it made more sense to have him follow her to the school. That was probably editorial's thinking, unfortunately. So Gillen couldn't use him in Uncanny. If he did maybe we could have gotten his opinion on the P5 and AvX. We never got that, did we?

  15. #3180
    Senior Member purplevit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Gambit was too connected to Rogue in XML (even though she just fucking turned him down and decided to date Mags) so it made more sense to have him follow her to the school. That was probably editorial's thinking, unfortunately. So Gillen couldn't use him in Uncanny. If he did maybe we could have gotten his opinion on the P5 and AvX. We never got that, did we?
    If Gambit was in Uncanny and with P5 so now he would be with new better or worse powers. (Like Cyce, Magneto etc). I like his powers and do not whant them to be another

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •