Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Adam Warren Talks "Empowered"

With the fifth volume of "Empowered" on sale this week, CBR sat down with creator Adam Warren for an in-depth and extremely candid chat about the critically acclaimed Dark Horse series, and why he doesn't consider himself a "real" artist.

Full article here.

One more day. One more day. Must be strong!

I really love this series, but sometimes I worry when Adam starts talking about a lack of "teh funneh." The book has a nice balance to it, between the sex, the humor, and the nitty gritty of the storyline. It sounds like Vol 5 might be pushing it into "wangst fest" territory....

But hopefully that won't be the case.

Looking forward to the next volume. While Adam may not love to draw, I love the way he draws.

While I think it might be odd to see the characters drawn by someone other than Adam, and in colour!, I would definitely be interested in some kind of mini series in "floppy" format. Hopefully there is enough interest in it to make it a reality.

Wow, that interview sounded more negative than I would have hoped.
    I really hope Adam doesn't get burnout syndrome someday.
    This series is way too good to go away!

I LOVE Empowered!!!

I love the writing, the art, the characters and the T 'n A.

picked it up yesterday. I only read the first chapter so far but it's pretty good stuff.
    I'm glad there's not an overly long turn around between vols.

I've got my issue now.

More or less mild spoilers following.

I read it through. Pretty fast, so I think I am still missing bits. But after the spoilers that has leaked through in the last weeks, I couldn't help but try to get to the end ASAP.
    And in the end, I got pretty much what I expected.
    And I don't know how to feel about this.

Well, one thing is sure: If Adam Warren is going to keep on like this, he pretty much has to change the "sexy superhero comedy", because this isn't.
    Which isn't even negative. But depressing, I guess.

I mean, somehow it had to come to this. At the start of the series she was alone and didn't have any friends anywhere. Now, by volume 5, she has them and she has to care for them. Given that the story already contained several gruesome sideplots, sooner or later it had to end in tragedy eventually. The last volumes all ended in a boom, but she still came out victorious. Well, it couldn't go on like this forever. No, let me rephrase this: Were it an ordinary Hollywood, Marvel or DC writer, it could have. But this is a series that although it started out with an absolutely ridiculous premise has grown to be one of the most character intensive series, partly because you feel that pretty much everyhting is possible.

Another reason why this volume stood apart was Mind****. I mean, she was just introduced last issue and now stole Emp's show for the most part of this book. I'm not complaining, considering her nice, cute and at the same time strange character. She also gave one of the scenes that probably only Adam Warren could create.

I mean, he gives us a scene where this lovable character tells us how difficult it is to physically please a sexual partner orally when you viciously had your tongue cut out by an abusive brother as a child. In any other book I would just ewwww, but not here. Well, it was probably still ewww, but in a strangly nice kind of way.

And then the end.
    I try to say this with a minimum of spoilers:
    It was depressing. It was bad. It turned characters and relationships upside down. It totally messed up pretty much everything in a way that nothing can ever be the same, so I simply have to know how this will go on RIGHT NOW. (damn you, Adam!)

So I say this:
    If anybody still didn't think that this series isn't anymore what it set out to be, this time there's no denying it.
    But it is still the very best series out there.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, Dard, on most aspects if not all. I'm not too worried about the series not being what it set out to be, since it seems like such a natural progression for the book, but everything else was spot-on, more or less.

The end though . . . it's hard to know what to do with it. It can't really be seen as a bad ending, I don't think, as much as one that makes me feel somehow cheated. That's part of the problem but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't think that was the intended affect. It was depressing and misery-inducing and, once again, it's hard to know what to do with it. If we could read on into the next chapter or volume immediately, it would be easier but, as you said, we can't (and then it wouldn't be an ending). It's tough to go from that into the metaphysical fourth-wall breakiness that concludes each book. After that, it's hard to care about the stupid camel-toe . . .

Actually, all those words just didn't get to the heart of the issue; I've never felt so sucky.
    Last edited by Guest_1001; 07-01-2009 at 02:47 PM.
    --*--
    Bring Back MI:13

We need more Black Knight and Faiza Hussain!

Man, i've never EVER stopped reading a comic like i did when I got to that 2 page spread in the last chapter. I had to put it down and finish it later. Depressing is an understatement. First time in a long time i've been invested and care about what happens to characters. Probably why i reacted the way i did. Even Mindf**k who was just introduced in the previous volume.

I'm stunned really. I suppose thats the sign/point of good storytelling. Still just like the previous volumes i want more. But man.....

I feel your pain, MainTheDread. I'm still feeling depressed now, three days after I read it. I'm beginning to wonder whether that was the intended effect or not; I can't imagine Adam Warren wanting me to feel seriously depressed, miserable, cheated and even a little lonely myself.
    --*--

The question if Adam wanted us to be depressed depends on the question if the story took a life on its own. Meaning if the story pushed the writer into directions that he didn't think of in the beginning.
    It has happened before. It's possible.

And IMO it feels like it. Regardless if it is actually true or not: It feels like this.
    It left us depressed at the end. Yes. But would it have affected any of us if we didn't feel like anything could happen at any time? Let me remind you: This is as a series that started out as a collection of in-joke short stories for bondage enthusiasts. Would any of you have thought that this series would make it past issue two without running out of ideas? Well, I didn't.
    The fact that the story seemed to get a dynamic of its own was what made it so continuously great.

OTOH, sooner or later there had to be tragedy. There was too much potential for it.
    And you know what: This one reason why I will keep on reading this series wherever it may go. Because I don't know where it will go. Because I don't even know if Adam knows.

After I read what you wrote I thought again: Would the comic have been any better if it was any different?
    One problem is probably that even the more humorous passages can now be seen in context of the later climax and is even eclipsed by it. This could be seen as a weakness, but at the same time it can be seen as an almost perfect setup for what happened later. A setup that started at the beginning and continued to the end.

Then there is the end.
    Yes, it is frustrating as hell that we have to wait for an eternity until we see the fallout of this. It is not worse than the average Hollywood flick in that regard. They are also usually cut off just seconds after the climax and ignore any consequences it would have had. But Empowered is different. We will get to know it eventually. Adam already promised. It is also different in that we actually really want to see it, and don't just say "who cares?".
    Again I asked myself: How would I have done it better?
    I couldn't. We did get to see a part of the fallout. An important part. A gutwrenching part. Tell me: Do you think that after those last pages with Emp and Spooky, anything could have followed without cheapening this scene?
    I don't.
    It was perfect that way.

Still depressing, but perfect.

BTW, the one thing that was probably not perfect was the line: "But someday you will know that you were wrong about me. About us." It made the climax even more emotional but I knew that her fate was sealed at this very moment. From that page on it was just hoping that I was wrong.

The thing is, I can understand all that and still be frustrated over not having more because of how bad it made me feel and I'm sure others can say the same. I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that continuing on would've given less weight and impact or even that it wouldn't have cheapened the scene. From a story standpoint, yes, it makes sense. I'm going with my emotions and my gut on this one though and saying I would've killed for more because it'd have lessened the misery.

It sounds like I'm being overly-dramatic here spoilers:
    ("flogging the drama llama" ... *sigh*)
    end of spoilers but seriously, I'm not. I do genuinely feel this bad about what happened and I'm sure you do too and, all-in-all, that ending wouldn't have felt so unfair if I knew more, here and now, or if it hadn't been spoilers:
    Mindf**k who died. Seriously, I think I'd have been okay with practically anybody else in the book dying, except for Emp herself
    end of spoilers.

Now I'm not complaining. It's phenomenal. I can't fault it story-wise but that's part of the damn problem; it's too much of a magnificent story for me to give it the amount of loathing and anger any other book would get for making me feel as bad as I did.
    Last edited by Guest_1001; 07-03-2009 at 04:58 PM.
    --*--

You are right.
    I first thought, naah, there must be someone else who's death I would like less. Then I discarded one by one. There was a time when I would have regretted the Demonwolf's demise more. Not because he was more likeable, but because he was more unique. But the Demonwolf slipped a little in the last two books.

So yes, that's Adam Warren for you.
    spoilers:
    Creating a character and then making this character a fan favourite in record time.
    end of spoilers