Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: WW Philly: The Jimmy & Amanda Panel

Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner, the writer/artist couple behind DC's "Power Girl" were on hand Saturday to discuss their projects past and present, and give the audience insights into what it takes to make it as a comics pro.

Full article here.

Was some interesting amount of information. But what I want to know is what is this wizard school. I never heard of it before and I tried doing a search on google with no luck.

I wonder if we'll ever get to go an entire interview about Peej without a boob joke. Somehow, I doubt it, but hope strings eternal.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

No one asked if he Palmiotti had any hopes for future stories featuring the cast of The Monolith?
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by babybro View Post
    Was some interesting amount of information. But what I want to know is what is this wizard school. I never heard of it before and I tried doing a search on google with no luck.
    Well, it's not an actual school, it's just what they call the panels where pros come in and explain their craft and the tricks of the trade. Some of the panels are really detailed (artists sometimes do sketches on a drawing board at the front of the room, so they can demonstrate techniques)... in this panel, they didn't get into the real nitty-gritty of art techniques, it was more generally about what you need to do to break in. But it was still very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Static-Pulse View Post
    I wonder if we'll ever get to go an entire interview about Peej without a boob joke. Somehow, I doubt it, but hope strings eternal.
    Hey, I gotta report it as it happens :) I did try to avoid using the term "boobs" though...

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    No one asked if he Palmiotti had any hopes for future stories featuring the cast of The Monolith?
    Not that I heard. I suspect he has his hands full with his current projects...
    Last edited by Matt Adler; 06-21-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Adler View Post
    Hey, I gotta report it as it happens :) I did try to avoid using the term "boobs" though...
    No offense to you. I didn't mean to attack the messenger. :)

I'm just kind of...emotionally spent...when it comes to Peej's boobs. I can appreciate the fact her character is well endowed, I can acknowledge that her character is deigned to make fanboy's dangling bits tingle, but when it becomes so much of a self-aware joke that every creator feels the need to excuse or use it in a joke...it's tiresome.

Again, no offense to you, it's just a little disheartening to know in which camp Palmiotti falls.

Out of curiosity, was there any discussion of the new Terra and maybe whether she'll be getting a co-feature somewhere down the road?

Thanks for the info about the panels. Is there a place where I can find a gathering of these wizard panels dedicated towards wizard school? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Static-Pulse View Post
    No offense to you. I didn't mean to attack the messenger. :)

I'm just kind of...emotionally spent...when it comes to Peej's boobs. I can appreciate the fact her character is well endowed, I can acknowledge that her character is deigned to make fanboy's dangling bits tingle, but when it becomes so much of a self-aware joke that every creator feels the need to excuse or use it in a joke...it's tiresome.

Again, no offense to you, it's just a little disheartening to know in which camp Palmiotti falls.
    It probably is unavoidable, given that Wally Wood created her with just that sort of joke in mind. I try to take it in the humorous spirit it's intended; heck, I'm more insulted by female characters drawn with ridiculous proportions that we're supposed to take seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by DeTroyes View Post
    Out of curiosity, was there any discussion of the new Terra and maybe whether she'll be getting a co-feature somewhere down the road?
    Nope, not that I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by babybro View Post
    Thanks for the info about the panels. Is there a place where I can find a gathering of these wizard panels dedicated towards wizard school? Thanks.
    Well, the panels are only at the conventions so far as I know. Right now, Wizard has 3 conventions; Philadelphia (which was where this Jimmy and Amanda panel took place), Chicago, and the newly-acquired Big Apple Con in New York (which I hear they are going to try to make a competitor to the New York Comic Con).

Here's a list of the Wizard School panels they had at Philly this year:

Friday:

1pm – 2pm
    Wizard School: Room 202A
    Comics and Technology
    Dennis Calero gives insight, tips and tricks for creators who want to explore how technology can be used to create new and exciting comics!

2pm – 3pm
    Digital Painting
    Learn the industry way to digitally paint like the pros!
    Discussion led by Greg Horn.

3pm – 4pm
    How to Self Publish w/ Mark Smylie
    Learn what it takes to publish your own comic! Learn what to avoid, where to get help, and how to get people to read your stuff!

4pm – 5pm
    Writing in Comics
    Join Zenescope's Raven Gregory, Ralph Tedesco and David Seidman as they discuss their process of writing for comics from different perspectives. This panel is meant to offer insight into the beginning stages of writing for comics, from creating a story concept to writing a script to working directly with an artist and the give and take process involved. This panel will consist of lots of Q&A so come armed with your questions! *Zenescope comics will be given away at the end of the panel to all those in attendance!

5pm – 6pm
    Inking Techniques
    Featuring Mark McKenna

Saturday:

11am – 12pm
    Coloring w/ Aspen
    Join Aspen's Peter Steigerwald in his latest class, as he takes you beyond the standard coloring fundamentals and fills you in on what's needed to become a comic book colorist. From his previous work at DC, to the current Soulfire series, and his most recent Marvel covers, Peter explains how to become one of the top colorists in the business! This class is definitely not to be missed or for the faint of heart!

12pm – 1pm
    Drawing in a Galaxy Far, Far Away…
    Lucasfilm/Clone Wars Comic Artist Tom Hodges will discuss and show first hand the ins and outs of working in the Star Wars Universe. From working with Legendary Characters like Darth Vader to creating all new characters for that Galaxy Far, Far Away...

1pm – 2pm
    Jimmy and Amanda
    Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner Q&A.
    Hosted by Buddy Scalara

2pm – 3pm
    Dynamite!
    Meet the team from Dynamite as they talk about all their upcoming titles!

3pm – 4pm
    Drawing with Mike McKone
    Join Marvel’s Mike McKone as he walks you through his process of putting together his amazing pencil work!

4pm – 5pm
    Creator Connections
    Writers, Artists, Inkers, Colorists, Editors, come join us for a massive, interactive networking session! Meet your next creative partner in this fun, relaxed atmosphere.
    Hosted by Buddy Scalara

5pm – 6pm
    Writing the Undead
    Learn what it takes to write as a member of the undead! Or, at the very least, you’ll learn how to spell, “hmmghlglglgllgghhhsshhshshs…”.
    Featuring Max Brooks, Fred Van Lente, John Russo.

Sunday:

12pm – 1pm
    Creating Modern Action & War Comics
    Billy Tucci describes the challenges and solutions for creating action packed comics, including the behind the scenes story his Sgt. Rock series.

1pm – 2pm
    Out of the Tube. Painting w/ Mark Sparacio
    Frustrated by color, or painting, or both? Well, Wizard is about to change all of that! C’mon down and join Mark Sparacio, cover painter for Sgt. Rock, Green Lantern, Shi, Heroes for Hire, Comics Buyer’s Guide and the Overstreet Price Guide for 2007 and 2008, as he discusses his painting technique, gives a demonstration and explains why nobody should be frustrated again! Unless of course, you’re a Flyers fan. Please, don’t get us started…

2pm – 3pm
    Sketch Cards
    Brian Kong talks about the phenomenon of how quickly Sketch cards have caught on!

3pm – 4pm
    Collecting and Grading w/ The CGC
    Learn the basics of preservation, collecting, and grading comics with the members of the CGC!

http://www.wizardworld.com/programming-pa.html

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Adler View Post
    Nope, not that I heard.
    Darn. Thanks!