Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: WW Philly: Dark Reign Panel

Marvel writers Dan Slott, Fred van Lente & Greg Pak and editors gathered Saturday at Wizard World Philadelphia with the latest revelations on Norman Osborne's plans

Full article here.

Hey CBR, who will the Hulk be fighting in Dark Reign: The List Hulk?

So Roberto De la Torre is the confirmed new artist on Daredevil, and it is taking a break until this one shot comes out. I like that cover by Tan, don't know how I feel about Daredevil being fully integrated into Dark Reign, I'd prefer he stayed in his own corner of the MU, but it should be a good read.

But seriously Marvel, eight (eight!) tie-in books? Thats beyond ridiculous, for something that wasn't meant to be an "Event".

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Holograph View Post
    So Roberto De la Torre is the confirmed new artist on Daredevil, and it is taking a break until this one shot comes out. I like that cover by Tan, don't know how I feel about Daredevil being fully integrated into Dark Reign, I'd prefer he stayed in his own corner of the MU, but it should be a good read.

But seriously Marvel, eight (eight!) tie-in books? Thats beyond ridiculous, for something that wasn't meant to be an "Event".
    Dark Reign itself is not an event. It is a label on comics to let people know that that specific book relates to the new status quo of the Marvel Universe -- and in turn increase sales.

The List is more of an event, but instead of 8 issues of a miniseries like Secret Invasion, they're doing 8 one-shots telling one specific story. Marvel said they were going to stay away from the real big events and try a few different ideas as replacements -- this is one of them.

Personally, I like the idea. The books sound great and knowing they will be by the regular creative teams of the respective ongoings and the current quality of those ongoings (like ASM, Avengers, Punisher, etc.), I have high hopes for these.
    Last edited by ZeoVGM; 06-20-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Holograph View Post
    On the one hand, all these Dark Reign tie-ins seem to be selling rather well.

On the other, even the current minis seems to be a considerable oversaturation of DR books. Even more in coming months is borderline ridiculous.

X-Factor Investigations Steven Ghost's Avatar

The List sounds really cool. I'm going to get all of the one-shots except the Spider-man one.

All I want to know is what books are going to be absoloutley pivotal to the outcome of DR. Marvel says that you can enjoy each 1 of the 8 1shots individuallly but that they all overlap with each other in some way (so another words you don't have to pick them all up but your highly encouraged to:rolleyes: )

I want Marvel to spell out for me what books specifically I NEED TO GET! I thought NA and DA and that was basically it but now I don't know.

I'm starting to believe Marvel should've just went the event route with DR...... I mean its not like most people aren't going to be spending the same amount of $$ (possibly more) than what they would've had they gone with an event.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    Dark Reign itself is not an event. It is a label on comics to let people know that that specific book relates to the new status quo of the Marvel Universe -- and in turn increase sales.

The List is more of an event, but instead of 8 issues of a miniseries like Secret Invasion, they're doing 8 one-shots telling one specific story. Marvel said they were going to stay away from the real big events and try a few different ideas as replacements -- this is one of them.

Personally, I like the idea. The books sound great and knowing they will be by the regular creative teams of the respective ongoings and the current quality of those ongoings (like ASM, Avengers, Punisher, etc.), I have high hopes for these.
    I don't think you quite understand were I'm coming from. I have no problem with them labeling it as simply a status quo, running through the all the titles. But it defeats the purpose of calling it a "status quo" by saying "you have to read this arc of Amazing Spider-Man to further the story of Dark Reign, but you won't see Spidey directly take on Norman Osborn unless you but this one-shot."

What's to say that these 8 stories couldn't be told in their respective ongoings? I think there's only so much of this that fans will take before it gets ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    All I want to know is what books are going to be absoloutley pivotal to the outcome of DR. Marvel says that you can enjoy each 1 of the 8 1shots individuallly but that they all overlap with each other in some way (so another words you don't have to pick them all up but your highly encouraged to:rolleyes: )

I want Marvel to spell out for me what books specifically I NEED TO GET! I thought NA and DA and that was basically it but now I don't know.

I'm starting to believe Marvel should've just went the event route with DR...... I mean its not like most people aren't going to be spending the same amount of $$ (possibly more) than what they would've had they gone with an event.
    This is exactly what 'm talking about, what's the point of them stressing "We've listened to your feedback, no more crossovers for awhile" and then releasing a huge amount of DR specific books?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
    On the one hand, all these Dark Reign tie-ins seem to be selling rather well.

On the other, even the current minis seems to be a considerable oversaturation of DR books. Even more in coming months is borderline ridiculous.
    For the most part, I don't agree. Most of the minis are from those who don't have their own series: Elektra, Young Avengers, Mr. Negative, The Hood.

You don't need them to understand what's going on with Norman in the long run, But if they had ongoings, that's what you would end up seeing in them.

And after reading Elektra and Mr. Negative, which are great, I don't mind.

The thing i'm wondering, is if the 8 books are going to come out in ONE month, or maybe spread across 8 weeks... but IT it's 8 MONTHS... it's going to be the most painful, drug out thing of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Assemble View Post
    The thing i'm wondering, is if the 8 books are going to come out in ONE month, or maybe spread across 8 weeks... but IT it's 8 MONTHS... it's going to be the most painful, drug out thing of all time.

Over at ign in an interview with Tom Brevoort (I think it was Brevoort anyhow) they said they would have them spread out from Sep-Nov

3 in Sep
    3 in Oct
    2 in Nov

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Over at ign in an interview with Tom Brevoort (I think it was Brevoort anyhow) they said they would have them spread out from Sep-Nov

3 in Sep
    3 in Oct
    2 in Nov
    Ahh. Thank you. That makes me feel a lot better about it anyway. It's going to be good, I can't say it won't.

no no no
    jr jr is suppossed to draw hulk DAMMIT
    COLOSSUS katya nightcrawler storm magik
    http://overpower.ca/tools/battlesites.php
    http://overpower.ca/downloads/
    "down with the machine" bray wyatt

Break yoself FOOL! GalactaSurfer's Avatar

Why is it some people act as if Marvel is twisting your arm into buying these titles? I think the idea of all the mini's and one shots is that you pick up the ones that associates with the title(s) your buying ex. The Hood mini goes perfectly with Punisher.

I think some people just can't stand the idea of being left in the dark on some of the awesome moments that are liable to happen in books that they wouldn't otherwise buy. Trust me I know how you feel, I don't collect Spider-Man but American Son/Dark Reign crossovers are making me pull my hair out at the possibility of something monumental happening, if that's the case then i'll pick up the trade.
    VESCELL - Sexy Sci-Fi Noir
    Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by GalactaSurfer View Post
    Why is it some people act as if Marvel is twisting your arm into buying these titles? I think the idea of all the mini's and one shots is that you pick up the ones that associates with the title(s) your buying ex. The Hood mini goes perfectly with Punisher.

I think some people just can't stand the idea of being left in the dark on some of the awesome moments that are liable to happen in books that they wouldn't otherwise buy. Trust me I know how you feel, I don't collect Spider-Man but American Son/Dark Reign crossovers are making me pull my hair out at the possibility of something monumental happening, if that's the case then i'll pick up the trade.
    I'm not a completist in any sense of the word, I know no one is forcing me to buy every title, I've actually drastically reduced the amount of DR stuff I'm buying from now on. My point isn't that they're putting out too many books, it's that Marvel are still trying to pass Dark Reign off as something that its not.

Whether Marvel did not predict that DC would release so much product for Blackest Night or the initial numbers did better than they thought (despite the overall massive drop in sales across the board), they've more or less made Dark Reign more a crossover in principle than a simple status quo . I don't purchase Spidey either, but I used the Spider-Man example because it explicitly states in the article that to see any sort of culmination in Spidey's DR story, you have to buy one extra book outside of the actual multi-part story itself.

Now with subsequent interviews we know this will pretty much be the case for every book in "The List". So the status quo in Avengers or Punisher won't change in the main title itself, but in a tie-in that closes out one chapter of DR leading into the new crossover or whatever.

On one hand I'm actually excited because for each issue (at least the one's I'll be buying,) they have put a great artist on each, so it should result in top notch stories. On the other hand I know that should this be successful (which it obviously will be) it will give Marvel the impetus it needs to justify using that type of storytelling more often, when they originally said that one of the purposes of Dark Reign was to avoid that.