View Poll Results: Did you like this issue?

Voters
95. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

76 80.00%
  • No

19 20.00%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

I really like Peter David's writing. At first, I was a bit skeptical about the whole Madrox/Layla future thing, but it felt light-hearted and honest, and I liked the humour Ruby used and how much wiser old Cyclops is. This is proving to be interesting and the solicits to August's X-Factor seems like a good indication of things to come and I greatly look forward to it.

With the Monet, Darwin, Longshot, Siryn, and Lenore story, I had doubts about Siryn being written to a more destructive path, but after reading this, it was good to see her learning to cope a little, and it really helped she had someone to relate to in her current situation, it was something I really didn't expect from spoilers:
    Val Cooper
    end of spoilers M was funny this issue, she was a bit more sexual, though the ending of this issue may prove why she is being that way, but it was a great cliffhanger and I am definitely looking forward to next month's X-Factor. The story is really excellerating in the future, and the present, with Rictor and Guido, though it was not shown this issue, and with M, Darwin, Longshot, and Val.

The issue got me warmed up to Ruby a bit more, which is a good thing and can't complain about a shirtless Madrox, beard or not. Val Cooper, though she's not in a lot of stories, often playing a minor role, I really liked her role in this story. Keep up the good work Peter David, loving every bit of it. Looking forward to Siryn vs M, judging from next month's cover, though who knows what to expect?
    Last edited by Brian Cronin; 06-12-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justinkos91 View Post
    I really like Peter David's writing. At first, I was a bit skeptical about the whole Madrox/Layla future thing, but it felt light-hearted and honest, and I liked the humour Ruby used and how much wiser old Cyclops is. This is proving to be interesting and the solicits to August's X-Factor seems like a good indication of things to come and I greatly look forward to it.

With the Monet, Darwin, Longshot, Siryn, and Lenore story, I had doubts about Siryn being written to a more destructive path, but after reading this, it was good to see her learning to cope a little, and it really helped she had someone to relate to in her current situation, it was something I really didn't expect from spoilers:
    Val Cooper
    end of spoilers M was funny this issue, she was a bit more sexual, though the ending of this issue may prove why she is being that way, but it was a great cliffhanger and I am definitely looking forward to next month's X-Factor. The story is really excellerating in the future, and the present, with Rictor and Guido, though it was not shown this issue, and with M, Darwin, Longshot, and Val.

The issue got me warmed up to Ruby a bit more, which is a good thing and can't complain about a shirtless Madrox, beard or not. Val Cooper, though she's not in a lot of stories, often playing a minor role, I really liked her role in this story. Keep up the good work Peter David, loving every bit of it. Looking forward to Siryn vs M, judging from next month's cover, though who knows what to expect?
    I also wasn't comfortable with the Jamie and Layla in the future thing as well, but (as of last issue) it's actually progressing into something interesting. Hopefully, Peter David can pull a big shocker next issue. I also want to see where the Siryn and Val thing goes. Val's last saying was incredible, and I want to see where Siryn goes from there. But my favourite part to this issue was Monet. The issue left with a nice cliffhanger. Oh, I should point out (I think I already did above) but I'm actually starting to like Darwin even more now. I can't wait for next issue - X-Factor's the only title I see out there that has covers that actually display what happens in the issue.
    Last edited by Puunk; 06-13-2009 at 06:47 AM.

BANNED

Yeah, I usually enjoy X-Factor more than I liked this issue.

That's not to say it wasn't good. Just... It wasn't great.

Still, compared to Uncanny Mess-Men... I bow at PAD's feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Puunk View Post
    You know me so well, justinkos. And thanks for the advice.

I also wasn't comfortable with the Jamie and Layla in the future thing as well, but (as of last issue) it's actually progressing into something interesting. Hopefully, Peter David can pull a big shocker next issue. I also want to see where the Siryn and Val thing goes. Val's last saying was incredible, and I want to see where Siryn goes from there. But my favourite part to this issue was Monet. The issue left with a nice cliffhanger. Oh, I should point out (I think I already did above) but I'm actually starting to like Darwin even more now. I can't wait for next issue - X-Factor's the only title I see out there that has covers that actually display what happens in the issue.
    If you don't know spoil tabs, put this before what you want to spoil: [SPOIL]
    After that, put it in this: [/ SPOIL] *Note: Don't leave a space between the / and SPOIL].

It is getting interesting, but I like how the future has their own little X-Factor going, in a sense. We got Madrox, Layla, Cyclops, and Ruby. As for the shocker, well we do see "Doom", I wonder if this is the fate of Reed or actual Doom himself, as mentioned in other future solicits.

The Siryn and Val thing was in a way a blessing. We saw Siryn chugging wine, and my first thought was, more destructive behaviour and a downward spiral for her, though something like this really opened up her eyes. I wonder how Siryn vs M will happen though, with M being all the way in that hotel, while Siryn is still at XF investigations.

I noticed a character mention talking about contacting all the other X-teams. This question is more aimed at Peter David, though I know it's probably nothing that important, but what teams did they contact about Cortex (or for them, Codex)?

As for Darwin, if he remained in Uncanny X-men, he would probably remain wallpaper, it's nice to see PAD take a character that's undeveloped and shape it into something. We got his past in Deadly Genesis and got that out of the way, all Darwin needs is more future development, which is so far, so good.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

I quite liked it. While the development of the Monet story was obvious it was still really well done and Darwin got to really shine in a sweet, sad way.

The future plot was great. I also think I know who they're looking for. Can't wait. I love all these tidbits we get about this timeline. And Layla is always wonderful

Oh and shirtless, clean-shave Madrox... swoon.

OK issue.

I like the fact that Monet acted how she would normally act if she WAS really into Darwin if say, she would be with someone she was actually attracted to. Besides the getting naked part because she'd only do that with Drunk Dupe Madrox! lol

I have all the issues of this series, but it seems like the only things I can remember are the glorious initial issues of this run with Calero and Sook art, some Layla Miller highjinks and Quicksilver.

It feels like to me, at least, the villains that have popped up in the run have been slightly underwhelming, and this whole Cortex thing seems like it's been done before, like the last page I was like...oh ok.

I'm not being harsh. I really like PAD's writing and he seems to be on fire when he can have Madrox do his thing but I think the problems for me are that the noir-feeling of the book has left - due mostly to the art - and that I'm not a big fan of Darwin or Longshot. They absolutely bore me to death.

Anyways, still a good issue.

Cyclop's and Madrox's banter was quality. Love it when Madrox has a foil to go up against verbally, good times.

Hope Shatterstar dies next issue.
    Zodiac: "The system is built to try and smooth out our complexities. Our rough edges. But those are the best things about us."

Quote Originally Posted by Volk1 View Post
    I'm not being harsh. I really like PAD's writing and he seems to be on fire when he can have Madrox do his thing but I think the problems for me are that the noir-feeling of the book has left - due mostly to the art - and that I'm not a big fan of Darwin or Longshot. They absolutely bore me to death.
    The noir feels forced, especially when Madrox tries to live it
    and talks about trying to live it. It just seems so... un-noir
    Though I do love the book in spite of that.

Quote Originally Posted by justinkos91 View Post
    The noir feels forced, especially when Madrox tries to live it
    and talks about trying to live it. It just seems so... un-noir
    Though I do love the book in spite of that.
    But I think that's the hook with Madrox. That's who he is or what he think's he is. He can never make up his mind so he feels like a cool customer when's he's a detective. It gives him meaning and something to live for - the only thing that fails him is once again, his lack of decisiveness lol.

I think the "noir" element was intended - it sure seemed like that with what we were given in the initial issues which emanated from Madrox mini-series which was very noir and very great.

I wonder if the lack of "dark and moody" artists that could give a noir feeling to the book for PAD and X-Factor make it seem like it's fallen away from that - OR maybe editorial deemed it necessary for X-Factor to move towards a more super-hero setting with the whole X-Cell, Civil War, Skrull tie-ins.

I doubt PAD could do anything about that.

Anyways, yeah, I don't think the noir feelign that was in this book was forced. I see very little of it now and I miss it.
    Zodiac: "The system is built to try and smooth out our complexities. Our rough edges. But those are the best things about us."

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Darwin is really growing on me. I loved how he dealt with Monet in this.
    I agree with this. He has a crush on her, but it's not like he wants to take advantage of her
    It's nice to see he has some respect for her in a fanboy way, though her current "condition" may not help much

I thought this issue was very good. I started buying X-Factor in double starting with issue 39. I have bought doubles of this comic, but choose to stop doing that this month.

Still a year ago, I was contemplating dropping this book. Now it's one of the first books that I read every month and look forward too. That's a success.

I think the one thing I really enjoyed about this issue was the Siryn/Val scene. It was so sad to see Sy that way, but at the same time really sweet that she had Val who could relate. It was well written, I thought, and the reason for me picking up the issue.

And though I wasn't entirely excitable about the Monet story, it at least won me over a little more with Darwin. I'm kinda actually really rooting for the guy now! The whole 'even though I hope and dream, you're not this easy speech' was handled well too. Poor guy!

That out of the way, I want my Ric and 'Star now.

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Wonder who still lives at X-Factor Investigations, waiting... Guido? Rictor? Darwin?

Probably not Longshot, he's got way too much ADD to hang out for like 70 or 80 years.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Wonder who still lives at X-Factor Investigations, waiting... Guido? Rictor? Darwin?

Probably not Longshot, he's got way too much ADD to hang out for like 70 or 80 years.
    It's more than likely Darwin. Personally I'm hoping for Lenore.

It is getting interesting, but I like how the future has their own little X-Factor going, in a sense.
    Reminds me of old man Tryp's future where X-Factor was held responsible for the resurgence of the mutant race. Tryp also showed them a future where Jamie and Layla got together. I'm now wondering, was he talking about the Summers revolution?
    Last edited by Pro; 06-11-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

The team is all dead though? I thought the HQ thing was setting up for Doctor Doom.