Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 257
  1. #61
    CTT Grand High Priest Windrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,171

    Default

    Love his AoA look. It would have been cool to have join the X-Men on Utopia.

  2. #62
    IMPERIUS REX!!! Rheged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlantean Embassy
    Posts
    16,529

    Default

    I think we don't see as much of Sunfire as we could, like on Utopia, because he's such a nationalist.

  3. #63
    Elder Member Aguja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    17,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    You know his Big Hero Six look wasnt too bad. Im not a fan of the color scheme, but the actual design is good

    YAY this thread is back! I never realized I posted in it so much lol.

    I really liked this costume as well. It incorporated his national identity and his superhero persona without being too garish. Plus the chest area is a lot like the B&W sketch from X-Men Legends.

    So what would people like to see Shiro do when he gets back? Like I said ages ago in this thread I just can't see him actually working with the Marauders. After the thing with Gambit went south he more than likely would have headed back to Japan.

    In light of everything that has happened there in the real world I wonder if Marvel would be more or less willing to utilize him?

  4. #64
    IMPERIUS REX!!! Rheged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlantean Embassy
    Posts
    16,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aguja View Post
    YAY this thread is back! I never realized I posted in it so much lol.

    I really liked this costume as well. It incorporated his national identity and his superhero persona without being too garish. Plus the chest area is a lot like the B&W sketch from X-Men Legends.

    So what would people like to see Shiro do when he gets back? Like I said ages ago in this thread I just can't see him actually working with the Marauders. After the thing with Gambit went south he more than likely would have headed back to Japan.

    In light of everything that has happened there in the real world I wonder if Marvel would be more or less willing to utilize him?
    I'm not fond of the pie pans on his shoulders or the yellow and gold. His costume should be red and white, and I don't mind a bit of the garish for Sunfire.

    I can't believe that they didn't give Shiro an appearance in Generation Hope while Tokyo was being destroyed by Kenji.

  5. #65
    Elder Member Aguja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    17,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I'm not fond of the pie pans on his shoulders or the yellow and gold. His costume should be red and white, and I don't mind a bit of the garish for Sunfire.

    I can't believe that they didn't give Shiro an appearance in Generation Hope while Tokyo was being destroyed by Kenji.
    lol I didn't notice the shoulder thingies they are a bit off putting. His original costume's colours are great I just didn't like the mask. He looked great without it in his cameo appearance in the 90s X-Men cartoon.

    And I agree it would have been nice to see that he had returned to being Japan's number one hero. But I guess until they resolve the Marauder thing he'll be away from his country.

  6. #66
    IMPERIUS REX!!! Rheged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlantean Embassy
    Posts
    16,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aguja View Post
    lol I didn't notice the shoulder thingies they are a bit off putting. His original costume's colours are great I just didn't like the mask. He looked great without it in his cameo appearance in the 90s X-Men cartoon.

    And I agree it would have been nice to see that he had returned to being Japan's number one hero. But I guess until they resolve the Marauder thing he'll be away from his country.


    Well, they resolve all the good stuff off panel so often now, they could have just had him show up. No telling when they'll go back to Japan. I don't see him showing up in the new Breakworld arc either. Maybe Fear Itself?

    Yeah, I found the mask odd initially. But it's grown on me. It's got the old samurai face plates feel or even the oni masks. But I could easily live without like in that cartoon you mentioned.

  7. #67
    † LINSUS X ZAYNT MALIK † Chase_Stein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    I really like this character. For me, he's always one of the more badass X-men characters. I'm really disappointed that there have been few writers who tried to write him. Milligan and Carey for me failed miserably. They both used him as a mere plot device when the character has so much more potential than that. It was really disappointing.
    "It doesn’t matter [if] you’re...Asian..., you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try." - Obama

  8. #68
    I dream of Jeannie Bart Simpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,872

    Default

    I really wish Sunfire would join the X-Men full time.

  9. #69
    C'est kinky Seresecros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    20,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chase_Stein View Post
    I really like this character. For me, he's always one of the more badass X-men characters. I'm really disappointed that there have been few writers who tried to write him. Milligan and Carey for me failed miserably. They both used him as a mere plot device when the character has so much more potential than that. It was really disappointing.
    Disagree. Milligan gave him his legs back, his attitude back, but kept him a strong anti-hero. Even without legs, he escaped from Apocalypse. Then, just before he got away, he heard the screams of someone being tortured in one of the rooms behind him. So what did he do? He went back to save them.

  10. #70
    † LINSUS X ZAYNT MALIK † Chase_Stein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Simpson View Post
    I really wish Sunfire would join the X-Men full time.
    I wish for that too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seresecros View Post
    Disagree. Milligan gave him his legs back, his attitude back, but kept him a strong anti-hero. Even without legs, he escaped from Apocalypse. Then, just before he got away, he heard the screams of someone being tortured in one of the rooms behind him. So what did he do? He went back to save them.
    Great job, Sunfire...
    "It doesn’t matter [if] you’re...Asian..., you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try." - Obama

  11. #71
    Elder Member Aguja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    17,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seresecros View Post
    Disagree. Milligan gave him his legs back, his attitude back, but kept him a strong anti-hero. Even without legs, he escaped from Apocalypse. Then, just before he got away, he heard the screams of someone being tortured in one of the rooms behind him. So what did he do? He went back to save them.
    Milligan's portrayal before he was turned into a horseman was good. He did not willingly choose to be a villain which I liked. For me he's never been an outright villain. Just more of a hothead who clashed with heroes because of being too proud or a misunderstanding. Sadly after becoming a horseman he didn't do much. But the whole Blood of Apocalypse arc was poorly done and I say that as a Milligan fan.

    Becoming a Marauder was the most out of character turn for him for me. And I hated all the jobbing he did after that.

  12. #72
    Junior Member Berserker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179

    Default

    616 Sunfire is too much of an abrasive and arrogant loner. Exiles Sunfire and AoA Sunfire are far superior. I really wish they'd bring back Mariko. Have 616 Sunfire die so that she can take his place. Exiles Mariko was far more willing to work with people and even got along with her teammates. Not to mention she was a far better superhero than 616 Sunfire could ever hope to be.

    In Alter Ego: The Comic Book Artist Collection, Roy Thomas originally intended for Sunfire to have been the 6th X-Man. Back then, mutant powers were linked to atomics and the Original 5's parents were all involved in the Manhattan Project so Thomas decided why not have a mutant spawned from Hiroshima? However, Stan Lee axed it and for good reason. Sunfire just doesn't work as a character much less a superhero. Even Claremont couldn't find a way to use him.
    Last edited by Berserker; 03-26-2011 at 01:48 PM.

  13. #73
    Elder Member Aguja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    17,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    616 Sunfire is too much of an abrasive and arrogant loner. Exiles Sunfire and AoA Sunfire are far superior. I really wish they'd bring back Mariko. Have 616 Sunfire die so that she can take his place. Exiles Mariko was far more willing to work with people and even got along with her teammates. Not to mention she was a far better superhero than 616 Sunfire could ever hope to be.
    Ick no Mariko was a boring ripoff and a weak attempt at recreating a male character as female. It happens far too often though in some cases the female character is better, though not in this case. I'm glad they cut their losses and killed her. Just too similar to Shiro and lacked anything unique or her own. As for her being a better hero that's debatable since Shiro has a much longer history of heroics than she does. I think being Japan's guardian for so long trumps anything his 'sister' ever did.

    I never heard that Roy Thomas story. That would have been very interesting too bad it didn't happen.
    Last edited by Aguja; 03-26-2011 at 05:30 PM.

  14. #74
    Shut up. fortyseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lockerogue View Post
    I came up with a design for Sunfire in Biology class. I will try to scan it. LOL this really shows how bored I was in that class.
    I'm waiting for this.

  15. #75
    Junior Member Berserker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aguja View Post
    Ick no Mariko was a boring ripoff and a weak attempt at recreating a male character as female. It happens far too often though in some cases the female character is better, though not in this case. I'm glad they cut their losses and killed her. Just too similar to Shiro and lacked anything unique or her own. As for her being a better hero that's debatable since Shiro has a much longer history of heroics than she does. I think being Japan's guardian for so long trumps anything his 'sister' ever did.

    I never heard that Roy Thomas story. That would have been very interesting too bad it didn't happen.
    Most people prefer Exiles Mariko to 616 Shiro because she actually sparked interest amongst readers. Mariko was an assertive individual who enjoyed the role as a superhero unlike the cold and distant Shiro.

    As for being Japan's guardian, I don't think being a big fish in a little pond is anything to boast about. Shiro hasn't accomplished anything on his own when Japan is in danger like the time Moses Magnum tried to sink it and the X-Men bailed him out.

    Stan Lee made a good call in rejecting Shiro as the sixth X-Man. 60's readers wouldn't have received a Japanese member in the X-Men very well. What could he possibly bring to the table in terms of plot and character interaction? Shiro's not a team player and doesn't even like his fellow mutants. He would just anger his fellow X-Men and thwart Xavier every turn. Not to mention he'd be too foreign and unable to relate to comic fans.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •