The voice in your head Shatagni's Avatar

Default Battle for the Cowl: reader friendly reading order

Ok, I know it a little too early to start fitting all these books into a timeline but since I got 11 of these books already, I figure now is good time to start making sense of things.

Keep in mind, this doesn't have to be perfectly synced chronology-wise but it should well as a continuing narrative.

This was my reading order back in March:

GOTHAM GAZETTE: BATMAN DEAD?
    BATTLE FOR THE COWL #1
    BATTLE FOR THE COWL COMMISSIONER GORDON

With the Oracle and Azrael book being in a separate timeline since I couldn't figure out where they fit. I think Gotham Gazette works well as a starting point since the books are supposedly chronicling whatever's going on in Gotham right now. So, unless the next issue proves me otherwise I'm assuming "Batman Dead?" takes place in the beginning and "Batman Alive?" takes place at the end. Ok, moving on...

BATTLE FOR THE COWL MAN-BAT

Ok, I have no idea when exactly this takes place. The book implies it takes place before BftC #2 and the defaced Batsignal is there, though it's not there in the Commissioner Gordon issue and that was supposed to take place after BftC #1.

To make matters more confusing, Man-Bat never appears again and neither do the Outsiders. I've not picked up any of the recent Outsider issues so if anyone could let me know if this storyline spills into those issues, that would be great.

BATTLE FOR THE COWL #2 (No problems here)
    BATTLE FOR THE COWL THE UNDERGROUND

Seriously? Catwoman get's knocked out twice by the same guy?

BATTLE FOR THE COWL ARKHAM ASYLUM

Gimme your thoughts and Lemme know if I can improve it any way.

As I was reading the series, I was taking a lot of notes trying to figure out exactly what the continuity order to this series would be. I've got a pile of notes, but I haven't really had the time nor the patience to really figure it out yet. I was planning on doing that in May when the entire thing was out.

:)

why does it matter if it's in order? if the comics good , then read it

I got out of the recent comic cut out box and the last couple of issues on the stands for Outsiders up to #16 and I didn't think it really hooked up well with either RIP, Final Crisis or Battle for the Cowl. It is a pretty bad comic, doesn't even really tie in with itself let alone these other stories and worse isn't that good a read for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by earl View Post
    I got out of the recent comic cut out box and the last couple of issues on the stands for Outsiders up to #16 and I didn't think it really hooked up well with either RIP, Final Crisis or Battle for the Cowl. It is a pretty bad comic, doesn't even really tie in with itself let alone these other stories and worse isn't that good a read for itself.
    Earl, I'm not following you. What is a pretty bad comic?
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Shatagni View Post
    Ok, I know it a little too early to start fitting all these books into a timeline but since I got 11 of these books already, I figure now is good time to start making sense of things.

Keep in mind, this doesn't have to be perfectly synced chronology-wise but it should well as a continuing narrative.

This was my reading order back in March:

GOTHAM GAZETTE: BATMAN DEAD?
    BATTLE FOR THE COWL #1
    BATTLE FOR THE COWL COMMISSIONER GORDON

With the Oracle and Azrael book being in a separate timeline since I couldn't figure out where they fit. I think Gotham Gazette works well as a starting point since the books are supposedly chronicling whatever's going on in Gotham right now. So, unless the next issue proves me otherwise I'm assuming "Batman Dead?" takes place in the beginning and "Batman Alive?" takes place at the end. Ok, moving on...

BATTLE FOR THE COWL MAN-BAT

Ok, I have no idea when exactly this takes place. The book implies it takes place before BftC #2 and the defaced Batsignal is there, though it's not there in the Commissioner Gordon issue and that was supposed to take place after BftC #1.

To make matters more confusing, Man-Bat never appears again and neither do the Outsiders. I've not picked up any of the recent Outsider issues so if anyone could let me know if this storyline spills into those issues, that would be great.

BATTLE FOR THE COWL #2 (No problems here)
    BATTLE FOR THE COWL THE UNDERGROUND

Seriously? Catwoman get's knocked out twice by the same guy?

BATTLE FOR THE COWL ARKHAM ASYLUM

Gimme your thoughts and Lemme know if I can improve it any way.
    Like Burning Star, I've kind of been waiting for the thing to wrap up. A few comments:

The Bullock story in Batman Dead ties in with Azrael #1 (both by Fabian).

Azrael seems to be in the same timeline as the other BFTC books, but Oracle doesn't seem to be related to BFTC at all, as far as I can see (so far at least).

Where exactly The Underground fits isn't entirely clear at the moment. We may have to wait until after Sirens #1 before we can be sure.
    Jim Zimmerman

I know they've already announced some of the trades of this series (or am I imagining that?), but I'd really love a one-off HC collection of the entire thing. It's only 16 issues, which would make for a hefty hardcover, with a probably equally hefty price. But having the entire collection in one deluxe hardcover in chronological story order would be.....simply amazing.

Not holding my breath, though.

I wonder if I could learn to bind my own hardcovers, and buy duplicates of the issues to bind together.

Jim Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    160 pages, though, that sounds like just the Battle for the Cowl mini-series with a little extra thrown in, not the entire everything related to Battle for the Cowl like I'd like....

Yeah, there's a Battle for the Cowl Companion trade coming out the same day. Only thing I don't see are the Azrael and Oracle series. No way am I buying three separate books for something that could easily fit in one book.

What is wrong with companies and their trade releases these days? They seem to be getting smaller and smaller every year. Hell, Marvel's got a trade coming out that I was interested until I found out it only has three issues in it. Lame.

Nevermind...I know the reason. It's because people are still willing to buy these trades with only four or five issues in them.
    Last edited by BurningStarIV; 05-03-2009 at 06:54 PM.

It appears that the Companion will contain the five "one shot" stories. Since the actual book is said to be by Tony & Fabian, I bet it contains the 3-issue mini, as well as the Batman Dead and Batman Alive issues. It doesn't appear that the Azrael or Oracle issues have a home as of yet.
    Jim Zimmerman