Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: IRON PATRIOTISM: Norman Osborn

In part one of IRON PATRIOTISM, a new multi-part feature, we talk with "Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia" writer Matt Fraction about his take on one of the story's central characters, Norman Osborn AKA the Iron Patriot.

Full article here.

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

Fraction missed the opportunity not to write Osborn like a villian when he had a plane full of people shot down just to see if Pepper could or could not catch it.

Out of the various depictions of Osborn, Fraction's has by far been one of the most sinister.
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude

Maybe I'm crazy but I'm so into the Dark Avengers. My brother has let me read some of his issues and I'm just loving it I'm picking some up for my self tomorrow Free comic book day and some i will pay oh yeah. This Crossover looks good, i Kinna want the Dark Avengers to win if there is any measure of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    Fraction missed the opportunity not to write Osborn like a villian when he had a plane full of people shot down just to see if Pepper could or could not catch it.

Out of the various depictions of Osborn, Fraction's has by far been one of the most sinister.

Yeah. It would be funny if it were the FAA that eventually took Osborn down.

What? It's the FAA's mandate to investigate all downed flights. It's going to be pretty obvious from the physical evidence that it was a missile, not a mechanical failure. The obvious next question to ask will be where the missile came from.

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post

Exactly. Although in Thunderbolts, you had the revelation that Norman found out the cure for cancer...and turned it into a weapon.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

I though Osborn was a villian and that was the point of Dark Reign.
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

My worries aren't as much about Osborn... although he's been depicted different ways in different series, his rise to power is interesting at least. But I really hope they don't mess up X-men (more) just to make whatever they do fit with this crossover plotline. Fraction's run on Uncanny has not impressed me so far, and recently it's become pretty sad. It seems like he comes up with an idea--like "Oh, let's add 'strong female characters'!!"--and then arbitrarily makes things happen that fit in with his plan. I shudder to think what will happen now that he has a non-X-men story he wants to force the characters to fit with.

Though to be fair, at least half of my recent dislike of Uncanny comes from the art. Any idea who's drawing the crossover?

Slightly sarcastic Name Already Taken's Avatar

Thumbs up

I never rarely followed Osborne much as Green Goblin. To be honest, I really found him a rather meh villain until he took over the Thunderbolt's operation. But Bendis and Fraction both got me. His new role is more compelling to me now and positively bad@ss as the head of H.A.M.M.E.R. and having his many fingers in many different pies in whatever title he pops up in these days.

I look forward to more in the future.
    Still buying:
    Action, JL, JL Dark, Scalped, SHIELD, PunisherMAX, Thor, FF, Invincible Iron Man, The Sixth Gun, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, BPRD, The Walking
    Dead, Invicible

Quote Originally Posted by Majinoaw View Post
    I thought Osborn was a villian and that was the point of Dark Reign.
    Yeah, as a general rule, that's what it is.

There is a level of accomadation and intellegence involved in it, though. People are not sumararily hunted down now, like in the CW, and the bad guys are being given opportunities to distract them, albeit, somewhat illegal. It's a matter of weighing up the level of violence in this situation as against the level of violence associated with pre-CW. It's quite possible that the Dark Reign is coming out as less violent and lower impact on the general population.

What I would like to see is if the family of the those bad guys, killed in Ms Marvel #38, were to sue HAMMER for non-due process and excessive use of lethal force. If they are successful, then lethal force in apprehension would have to be eliminated, and that would be inconvenient in DR.
    Last edited by jackolover; 05-02-2009 at 08:33 PM.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Default wow

This cover looks FANTASTIC!!!!
    I'm starting to get really excited for this crossover!

Quote Originally Posted by coldstar View Post
    My worries aren't as much about Osborn... although he's been depicted different ways in different series, his rise to power is interesting at least. But I really hope they don't mess up X-men (more) just to make whatever they do fit with this crossover plotline. Fraction's run on Uncanny has not impressed me so far, and recently it's become pretty sad. It seems like he comes up with an idea--like "Oh, let's add 'strong female characters'!!"--and then arbitrarily makes things happen that fit in with his plan. I shudder to think what will happen now that he has a non-X-men story he wants to force the characters to fit with.

Though to be fair, at least half of my recent dislike of Uncanny comes from the art. Any idea who's drawing the crossover?
    Terry Dodson:
    http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=12309

Quote Originally Posted by crichjarvis View Post
    Thanks.

Okay, the art seems good... here's to hoping the writing doesn't drag it down.