Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mark Waid on 52

Default Mark Waid on 52

[On “52"] EIC Dan Didio, who first championed the concept, hated what we were doing. H-A-T-E-D ‘52.’ Would storm up and down the halls telling everyone how much he hated it. And Steve [Wacker, editor], God bless him, kept us out of the loop on that particular drama. Siglain, having less seniority, was less able to do so, and there's one issue of ‘52’ near the end that was written almost totally by Dan and Keith Giffen because none of the writers could plot it to Dan's satisfaction. Which was and is his prerogative as EIC, but man, there's little more demoralizing than taking the ball down to the one-yard line and then being benched by the guy who kept referring to ‘Countdown’ as ‘52 done right.’

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40896

Man, you've got to love how Waid has no qualm whatsoever with burning the hell out of bridges between himself and other comic book professionals. Sadly, it does mean that we won't be seeing anymore DC work from the man for a long, long time.

As far as the quote goes, I don't have the same problem with Didio that so many have but if what is said here is true (and, based on similar comments from others, I see no reason to assume why it isn't), it only confirms my major complaint with the way he runs things: he really needs to leave the creative side of things to the professionals.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Default Re

Gotta love Waid's forthrightness, yeah.

He's a good writer, but if he doesn't have any more ideas for DC stuff and feels comfortable enough to tell it like it is, that's good. It's not like DiDio's some kind of megalomaniac bent on it being his vision, but sometimes editors can't wrap their heads around things and so they don't think fans will be able to either and the intervene too much. You just wish it didn't happen on such critically acclaimed, well-thought out projects as 52.

I mean ... even then, DC Editorial had to know that 52 was being written by basically the "Dream Team" of current writers in the stable.

Oh well, like with most situations like this ... the lesson gets learned ... but somehow split in half. On one hand, DiDio probably learned to trust us fans to get some heavier concepts and that we love what these four writers do - hence why Johns and Rucka rule all the big books now and why they let Morrison go crazy on Batman and Final Crisis ... but on the other hand, he also didn't quite learn, because he thought he could do better than 52 with Countdown.

That's like saying "Well, Brubaker and Rucka did pretty good with Gotham Central ... let's get some rookie writers to do the same idea only in Metropolis and we'll top it". It just isn't going to happen.

It's nice to shoot for a goal that high though, but as EIC, he's gotta know learn the limitations.

He seems to come around on quite a few issues though. Letting writers have more control, coming up with some stellar ideas like the return of Co-Features.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    It's not like DiDio's some kind of megalomaniac bent on it being his vision,.
    It's not? Really?

Anyone who thinks Countdown was 52 done right does not belong in the comics industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Shark View Post
    Anyone who thinks Countdown was 52 done right does not belong in the comics industry.
    Hey, hey. Hey now. Maybe 52, done right, was SUPPOSED to be an utter disaster. We don't know.

But seriously... ouch. If ever there was a quote that was going to come back around to bite Didio, that one is a serious contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Goblin View Post
    Hey, hey. Hey now. Maybe 52, done right, was SUPPOSED to be an utter disaster. We don't know.

But seriously... ouch. If ever there was a quote that was going to come back around to bite Didio, that one is a serious contender.
    Hey, he left "supposed to be" in there for good reason.

I pray his influence on Blackest Night doesn't go past "hey Geoff, use more DC characters, Superman, Batman, etc ... make it a little more DCU and I'll give you the minis to do it with".

Quote Originally Posted by TCJohnson View Post
    It's not? Really?
    I don't know, I think "megalomaniac" is too strong a word. That said, I think that DCs biggest problem is that Didio seems to have decided that what's best for their line of comics is this single editorial vision rather than just letting the creators do their own things. There have been tons of great stuff to come out of his tenure as EIC and it's unfair to dismiss the good along with the bad but I think the more he steps back from taking the reigns of the creative direction of books the better.

BANNED

Yes Dan Didio clearly hated 52. He hated it so much that he greenlighted 3 further 52 related minis along with an ongoing.

Yep no doubt he utterly despised it.

Quote Originally Posted by CYOTI View Post
    Yes Dan Didio clearly hated 52. He hated it so much that he greenlighted 3 further 52 related minis along with an ongoing.

Well, to be fair, considering that 52 was DC's biggest selling title, he would have been a fool not to follow up on it, regardless of what he actually thought of the thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    That's like saying "Well, Brubaker and Rucka did pretty good with Gotham Central ... let's get some rookie writers to do the same idea only in Metropolis and we'll top it". It just isn't going to happen.
    Except of course Countdown was an utter cluster because he wouldn't stop messing with it by trying to tie everything under the DCU to it. If left to their own devices those writers could have probably written have written something rivalling 52, but DC was forcing so much crap down their throats from making so many tie-ins, many of whom didn't make sense with Countdown to making so many of the last minute changes to try and fit everything with Final Crisis, which it really didn't.
    Last edited by Paul Newell; 04-28-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Shark View Post
    Can I get an "AMEN?"

Sometimes I wish the editors at DC would all take George Castanza's opposite approach. They should do the opposite of their first instincts and see what happens.
    Join the Nightwing Fan Club
    www.nightwingfanclub.com
    Or follow us on Twitter!
    http://twitter.com/NightwingFnClb

Veteran Member

I can see how Didio might not like '52' at first. I mean the story they advertised was nothing like the story that actually came about. Even though, even after all of the super positive critical (and fan) praise, wouldn't that change his tune?

Quote Originally Posted by CYOTI View Post

Except Dan Didio does not actually have the power to greenlight any projects. He can recommend new projects, he can recommend projects be cancelled. Dan Didio has control over content, but the ability to greenlight projects belongs to Paul Levitz.

One cookie I particular loved about reading 52 was Waid's commentary.. on each issue... For me it made reading feel like more of a journey...
    All stories are imaginary, so you get to decide what's important and what isn't. Continuity is fluid.

-Jeff Brady

Quoted for truth....