Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member UltimateMarvel_Fan501's Avatar

Default Spider-man + Martial Arts = good/bad?

I was reading a verses thread the other day and someone made a comment about Peter not really having the greatest skill set when it comes to hand to hand fighting. We all know he's no push over, but what do you guys think about Pete taking some time out and actually getting trained in martial arts to improve his skills? Would this be a good or a bad thing for his character, and why?

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Bad. It's one of his few physical weaknesses that an enemy (and a writer) could exploit for storytelling. Plus, he'd always be late for the training sessions because he'd be off fighting crime, if not missing the session entirely.

They'd boot him out of class real quick.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Junior Member UltimateMarvel_Fan501's Avatar

I'm not talking about going down to the local Y and taking classes there. I mean having someone like Danny Rand or Logan, etc. sitting him down and telling him "look, you're a great hero, but your skills could use a little work" and then they train with him for a month or longer somewhere. I know Peter probably wouldn't leave his hero responsibilities but I still thought it'd be an interesting concept

Lord of the Vindaloovians ShadowSonic's Avatar

I dunno about Logan, I mean nearly everytime he's clashed with Peter Logan always lost...

Spider-man's freestyle fighting techniques have been an essential part of the character for years now. I see no need to change it, and I think a lot of people like his ability to cope with his lack of training.

i dont like it, i though it was soooooo lame when steve tryed to show spidey some moves in new avengers, or how cap america could predict spider moves on civil war, just to show that...spider-man doesnt need martial arts, he's got his OWN fighting style, that makes him impredictable, you think jiu jitsu would make the rhino or sandman fall faster,? or lets get more tangible, titania,for example ?

ha! won't happen.. he'd have to get trained by someone with powers and armor.... he'd be too scared that he'd accidentally hurt somebody, otherwise..

Still hates the Packers. Patrick Hultquist's Avatar

I thought he picked up a few moves from Cap also. Even if he didn't, I can't think he'd take such training lightly, as some martial arts can teach you fighting techniques designed to immobilize yet not maim, knowledge I think Peter would welcome when he's working on street level threats.

BANNED

I think it would be a bad move. With Spidey's abilities, I think that learning the martial arts would unnecessarily endanger his opponents lives. When Pete was in a boxing match with Flash Thompson, Pete significantly pulled his punches in their fight but he still managed to knock Flash across the room with little effort. In fact, Peter was worried that he would cripple Flash in their fight. As such, he developed a fighting style that worked for him and his abilities that allows him to pull his punches and not injure his opponents too much. Plus, Spidey doesn't normally engage in battles where conventional fighting styles would apply. Knowing judo moves isn't going to do much against an opponent who can hurl lighting, or strangle you with telescoping metal arms, or attack from on high with pumpkin bombs.

Yeah, Spidey already outclasses most folks in terms of powerset as it is. Giving him martial arts training would only serve to remove another "out" in terms of non-powered villains (or lower power villains) holding their own against him.
    READING:
    Amazing Spider-Man | Avengers Academy | Carnage USA | Locke & Key | Scarlet Spider | Ultimate Spider-Man

Spidey's fighting style is a martial art in itself. His moves aren't wild and untempered but seem rather considered and purposeful.

If you had an army of Spider-men who would you rather have them trained by: Logan/Danny Rand/ Shang-Chi/Cap or Parker?

Logan ! imagine a spider-man going all beserker !! MADNESS ! ! MADNESS , i tell you !

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget3440
    Spidey's fighting style is a martial art in itself. His moves aren't wild and untempered but seem rather considered and purposeful.

If you had an army of Spider-men who would you rather have them trained by: Logan/Danny Rand/ Shang-Chi/Cap or Parker?
    I think that underlies a pretty good point. Peter is pretty singular and unique in the Marvel U. Trying to adapt an outside fighting style to his unique abilities I think would actually be a detriment in battle. It would force Peter into thinking about taking down an opponent one way, when we've seen his greatest strength is in his ability to think on the fly and adapt his techniques to the battle at hand.

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateMarvel_Fan501 View Post
    what do you guys think about Pete taking some time out and actually getting trained in martial arts to improve his skills? Would this be a good or a bad thing for his character, and why?

No, that's what we have Spider-Man/Shang-Chi team-ups for.

Come to think of it, isn't it about time we had another Spider-Man/Shang-Chi team-up? Lord knows when the last one was...but I'll never forget the first...

MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by The Confessor View Post
    No, that's what we have Spider-Man/Shang-Chi team-ups for.

Come to think of it, isn't it about time we had another Spider-Man/Shang-Chi team-up? Lord knows when the last one was...but I'll never forget the first...

I seconded this.
    Would be very welcome another Spider-Man/Shang-Chi team up.

Shang-Chi is a cool hero.
    Shang-Chi deserves a ongoing book.

Rick Remender to write it and Jim Cheung to be the artist.
    That`s my call.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.