Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default From Hayseed to X-Man: Cannonball Appreciation

A thread dedicated to the New Mutants first graduate...

Samuel Guthrie...CANNONBALL

Sam Guthrie(Cannonball) was created by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod

Samuel Zachary Guthrie generates a thermal/kinetic field around himself which renders him invulnerable and allows him to fly. Though it usually emanates from his lower body, he has been able to extend it outwards as a shield and channel it to his fists for added punch. The eldest of ten children from a Kentucky coal mining family, Cannonball is one of a few X-Men from a southern, rural background and has maintained the values of civility, hard work, and a strong commitment to his beliefs throughout his career as a superhero. When his father died in a mining accident Cannonball took role of the father figure till leaving to learn to control his powers. Several of his siblings are also mutants and have joined X-Men-related teams, including Paige (Husk), Jay (Icarus), and Melody.

Cannonball was a founding member of the X-Men's junior team, The New Mutants. Here he met his best friend Roberto DaCosta (Sunspot) and two long time girlfriends, Lila Cheney and later Tabitha Smith (Boom Boom/Boomer/Meltdown). The New Mutants were co-lead by Cannonball and teammate Dani Moonstar (Psyche/Mirage/Moonstar). Cannonball was with the New Mutants for historical X-Men battles such as: Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, Inferno, and X-Tinction Agenda. During his time with the New Mutants he was trained by Xavier and Magneto until Cable took control of the team turning them into a mutant rebel militia known as X-Force. The X-Men disapproved of X-Force's ways and once Cable was believed dead Cannonball took the role of leader and stood up to Xavier. Along with X-Force, Cannonball participated in famous X-Men battles: X-Cutioner's Song, Fatal Attraction, and Phalanx Covenant. Because of his dedication to Xavier's dream he joined the X-Men, becoming the first member of a secondary team to "graduate". During his initial run with the X-Men he became a sidekick to Wolverine - most notably battled the Dark Riders when they tried to replace Wolverine's adamantium, he defeated Gladiator on his own, helped fight against Onslaught, went undercover during Graydon Creed's Presidential Election with new pal Bobby Drake (Iceman), and fought Bastion during Operation: Zero Tolerance. His tenure was complicated by clashes with superiors and he eventually left to rejoin X-Force.

Later Cannonball joined the X-Corps in Europe where he worked with some former New Mutants and X-Force teammates. After his teammate Darkstar was killed in battle Cannonball decided to leave X-Corp and rekindle with his ex-girlfriend Lila Cheney. Once he saw what was happening at Xaviers he could no longer stay away. He contacted Storm and she invited him to join her X.S.E. team where Cannonball would become an official government officer. Cannonball was no longer the X-Men newbie. He remained with the X.S.E. X-Men through Emma Frost and Cyclop's take over of the school. After getting injured in battle he left the team and briefly reunited with members of X-Force. Cannonball returned to the mansion to join Rogue's X-team. With a team full of mostly "former" villains Cannonball stuck close to his friend and former teammate Iceman. During their first battle Cannonball was mentally attacked by Serafina, a member of Children of the Vault. Cannonball hurt by her manipulation and blasted Serafina into their ship; leaving her lifeless body. After most of his team would betray the X-Men he would battle Mr. Sinister and the Marauders where he would sustain grave injuries but would recovery in time for the final battle of the Messiah Complex.

Cannonball moved to San Fran with the rest of the X-Men, soon after he defended the city against a Secret Invasion by the Skrulls. He took the lead in reuniting with his original teammates the New Mutants to battle Xaviers son Legion. He has become a go to solider and leader in Cyclops army of X-Men. Cyclops believes Cannonball might be the next generations leader of the mutant race. Cannonball assisted the X-Men in battling Norman Osborn and his Dark Avengers/X-Men and the creation of Utopia. Where he helps take care of all the farming needs on the mutant island. During Necrosha Selene resurrected the New Mutants former school rivals, the Hellions. Then the Second Coming of Hope had Cannonball lead a team of X-Men in a Hellbound mission to limbo. Bastion was defeat but not without the loss of Cannonball's former leader/mentor Cable. Sadly there is no rest for Cannonball are quickly taken back to limbo for one of their hardest battles yet in the Fall of the New Mutants. The New Mutants won the battle with many costs; as last result Cannonball kills some of their enemies, and Legion (freed to defeat the elder god) changes reality... Age of X. After reality changes back Cannonball kept his memories of the other world and asks Emma Frost to remove them. Due to these events Cannonball steped down as leader and asked to be put under observation, not being able to process the recent events. During this time he and Moonstar find an attraction torwards one another.

Post Schism Cannonball leaves Moonstar, Cyclops, and Utopia and joins Husk, Wolverine, and the new Jean Grey School for Higher Learning back in New York.

Cannonball was a playable bonus character in X-Men Legends 2 for PSP. In the animation side he was featured in one episode of the 90s X-Men: The Animated Series. And had a small reoccuring role with the "New Mutants" in X-Men: Evolution. He did not appear in the first season (and only) of Wolverine and the X-Men. One day we can hope for a New Mutants animated series, X-Men animated series where he is a main character, and an appearance in a feature film!

Discuss the past/present/future and share photos of your hayseed turned hero... Cannonball!
    Last edited by NewMutant; 10-13-2011 at 07:57 AM.
    My Canon > Your Canon

Cannonball has been awesome from the get go, except for one little hiccup when he first went from leading X-Force to become an X-man, and somehow the assured and confident Sam who stood up to Havoc, Storm and Xavier in the X-Cuttioners Song and its aftermath, Magneto in Fatal Attractions and so on and so forth was suddenly de-aged and de-balled and became unconfident, bumbling and deferential. Luckily it didn't stick and he was allowed to kick the **** out of Gladiator. Course, the early 90s X-Force was my first comic book, so I am slightly biased.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain" Steven Pinker

First of all, awesome thread effort, like the writeup and pics
    Second, I truly appreciate Cannonball as well
    Most of my exposure to him was from X-Force
    90s X-men, and Carey's X-men

Cannonball is a great character. They messed him up when they took him off X-Force and "graduated" him to the X-Men. It's good that that have him back with the New Mutants instead of wasting away in X-Purgatory/Limbo.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

BANNED

agreed i love me some cannonballs

How did Sam go from skinny guy to mr muscle?
    I noticed the change between his purple costume
    and the blue one that comes after that

BANNED

yeah i liked it how he was a skinny goofy looking kid

My Fav. Cannonball pics.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake View Post
    Where's this from?
    Looks like something out of a video game
    I like it

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Cannonball returned to mansion to join Rogue's team. With a team full of mostly "former" villiams he quickly became good friends with teammate Bobby Drake (Iceman).
    He's been friends with Bobby for a while now, long before they were on Rogue team together.

Cannonball rocks, I always thought of him as like the Cyclops of the New Mutants.......you know only likeable

Cannonball is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by justinkos91 View Post
    Where's this from?
    Looks like something out of a video game
    I like it
    I got off of comicvine.com It maybe fan art of something, I'm not really sure.

http://www.comicvine.com/cannonball/...ll/105-110706/

BANNED

I love Cannonball. Despite him having the grossest costumes in X-Franchise history.
    Last edited by $5 Milkshake; 04-13-2009 at 03:46 PM.