Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Geoff Johns' Universe

The writer of "The Flash: Rebirth" met withfans at Jim Hanley's Universe in New York to discuss the fast-paced return of Barry Allen to the DC Universe, the impending arrival of "Blackest Night" and his career in comic books.

Full article here.

That podcast was fun, A well spent hour of my life.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Default Re: Agent Orange.

I think Johns is a terrific super-hero writer.

However, why would an alien being name itself after a slang term for an Earth-based chemical weapon?

BANNED

His real name is Larfleeze not Agent Orange.

In Johns' eyes, Barry is a departure from Wally in that he has no moral grey – everything is black and white, more like Batman than the current Flash. "His line of good and bad is very solid and doesn't blur," Johns declared. "That's something that Barry has; just this almost archaic sense of justice, and it comes from being a forensic scientist. The fact is, you're guilty or you're not guilty – there's no in between for him. That's something I'll be exploring a lot with Barry."

Now I really want Barry to have conversations with some of the DC big guns—to contrast his p.o.v. with Diana, Clark, Bruce, Ollie, Arthur. Carter Hall, too.

And it's too bad DC's Question—the new one, at least—isn't more like Ditko's Mr. A, the original for the character. That conversation would be interesting, too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
    And it's too bad DC's Question—the new one, at least—isn't more like Ditko's Mr. A, the original for the character.
    Neither was the old one. The objectivist stuff got tossed out in the very first issue of the ONeil run, you seem to have missed the last 20 years.

At least Geoff admit that Barry Allen's return was a tough to sell to the modern day Flash readers who grew up with Wally As the Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxzero View Post
    I think Johns is a terrific super-hero writer.

However, why would an alien being name itself after a slang term for an Earth-based chemical weapon?
    Cuz it sounds the business.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    At least Geoff admit that Barry Allen's return was a tough to sell to the modern day Flash readers who grew up with Wally As the Flash.
    Setting the bar high makes success that much sweeter.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Setting the bar high makes success that much sweeter.

But didn't Barry get married and had kids first, as the Tornado twins of the LSH are proofs of that ?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    But didn't Barry get married and had kids first, as the Tornado twins of the LSH are proofs of that ?
    Yes, he did, and it'll be interesting to see how Johns and other writers will deal with that. Iris is back with Barry in the early 21st Century, but what about those kids they conceived just before Barry went to die in the First Crisis? This is an 800-lbs. gorilla (not Grodd) that will need to be dealt with sooner or later.

faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Im suddenly a bit afraid for Wally after reading the last part of that interview...
    I'm crushing your head fanboy! I'm crushing your head!

Definitely afraid for Wally. Yet I have faith in Johns, almost messianic faith. Given that he's written Wally so damn well, should he decide to pull the trigger on Wally, I couldn't think of a more entitled individual (other than Mark Waid I suppose)...

Quote Originally Posted by Bevbos View Post
    Definitely afraid for Wally. Yet I have faith in Johns, almost messianic faith. Given that he's written Wally so damn well, should he decide to pull the trigger on Wally, I couldn't think of a more entitled individual (other than Mark Waid I suppose)...
    If he does pull the trigger on Wally then its like H.E.A.T. all over again, you would think that DC has learnt from past mistakes. Plus no Wally, no Flash for me and this is from a Flash fan of the past 15 years.

This Flash 'Reboot' is looking more and more like DC's version of 'Brand New Day' to me.
    X-Poster of the Month: April 2003

--- the best there is at what i do ---

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Yes, he did, and it'll be interesting to see how Johns and other writers will deal with that. Iris is back with Barry in the early 21st Century, but what about those kids they conceived just before Barry went to die in the First Crisis? This is an 800-lbs. gorilla (not Grodd) that will need to be dealt with sooner or later.

Well we see how young Iris is now. I'll believe they'll use a small retcon to say that down the road in a few years Iris and Barry will have kids. But at the moment not now. The Tornado Twins I bet will barely get a mention til Johns irons out Barry's role in the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by juz View Post
    If he does pull the trigger on Wally then its like H.E.A.T. all over again, you would think that DC has learnt from past mistakes. Plus no Wally, no Flash for me and this is from a Flash fan of the past 15 years.
    Thats not gonna happen. Lets be honest ....Wally had his run. If he loses his powers , its not that big a deal to fans since Barry is back and Bart is Kid Flash. Wally's role is gone for now as The Flash. He could lose his powers and fufill his role as father to 2 super powered kids. And i think it would get more from him than what he will be reduced to if not.

There won't be a H.E.A.T for Wally. I think we all know this. I'm a big Flash fan and loved Wally but with the marriage and kids...his tales are done for the most part. He could retire as he discussed a few years back...where he claimed "I see the finish line...."

This Flash 'Reboot' is looking more and more like DC's version of 'Brand New Day' to me.
    Nah , the only differance is Johns has the good will from fans to make this work. And they know he won't write "Its magic" and leave it at that. Plus this series is a complete different type storyline than BND.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.