Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 875
  1. #31
    The Notorious BIB mattbib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Posts
    14,822

    Default

    I have a few characters I need to draw...keep putting it off. Maybe I'll find some time this weekend.

  2. #32
    The Notorious BIB mattbib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Posts
    14,822

    Default

    Anyone want to play in a league at www.boxofficefantasy.com?

  3. #33
    working class villain starkoryan81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaye View Post

    I got some new pens yesterday, my old ones were driving me nuts. I had been using radiographs, but can't deal with them anymore, they break constantly on me, leaking all over no matter the cleaning I do. So, I'm trying the Rotring ArtPens. The sketch one (EF) so far is really great, and the other ones, made more for writing have tips that can be ground down to get a finer line, and I'm liking that as well.

    So, I've been doing my line work with these and filing in blacks with a brush as usual. What are you guys using for inking?
    I hardly ink anything these days, but when I do I use sable brushes and a rapidograph .25 for the finest details. I like to use a strathmore drawing paper with a good weight and a little tooth, or smooth bristol board. The drawing paper is easier to see through with a lightbox if I want to keep the original pencils. If I want to do something with a lot of washes or color, I'll use a nice Arches Aquarelle watercolor paper that can take a lot of water without warping or curling up as I've found that bristol board is apt to do. This paper is so thick that I do initial pencils directly on the paper, then paint, then detail it with pencils or ink on top to finish.

    r

  4. #34
    . Jaye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pine Valley
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    What is the advantage of bristol boards as opposed to paper?
    Don't think I've ever worked on bristol boards.
    They can be penciled, erased, re-penciled, erased, re-penciled, erased, re-penciled, erased, re-penciled, erased, and still look great. They can be used with ink or acrylics pretty well, too, in my experience. The mulitple-plied sheets are expensive, but don't curl with wet media.

    Quote Originally Posted by starkoryan81 View Post
    I hardly ink anything these days, but when I do I use sable brushes and a rapidograph .25 for the finest details. I like to use a strathmore drawing paper with a good weight and a little tooth, or smooth bristol board. The drawing paper is easier to see through with a lightbox if I want to keep the original pencils. If I want to do something with a lot of washes or color, I'll use a nice Arches Aquarelle watercolor paper that can take a lot of water without warping or curling up as I've found that bristol board is apt to do. This paper is so thick that I do initial pencils directly on the paper, then paint, then detail it with pencils or ink on top to finish.
    I like working on watercolor paper, too, but have not for a while since I've been using acrylics more than anything lately. I know what you mean about the lightbox and thick Bristol, I think using a projector is the only way around it.


    Quote Originally Posted by mattbib View Post
    I have a few characters I need to draw...keep putting it off. Maybe I'll find some time this weekend.
    Which ones?
    This weekend, if I can finally finish my taxes, I have a new FIN cartoon penciled, and need to ink and color it.

  5. #35
    The Hawk of New York LewMoxinsghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    What is the advantage of bristol boards as opposed to paper?
    Don't think I've ever worked on bristol boards.
    This really surprises me, considering the high quality of your work.

    I like Bristol board better than paper because it is easier to control the ink... not so much bleediness. But lately, I'm still hip deep in my love affair with my Cintiq. If I had that thing fifteen years ago I woulda set the world ablaze. It really is that good, and well worth the price.

    PS- I also think this is a great idea Matt.

  6. #36
    working class villain starkoryan81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    190

    Default

    These high-quality papers are great, but sometimes I feel a bit a pressure not to waste them. Often I prefer to go crazy in a cheap little Wal-mart sketchbook....I can transfer anything that makes the grade w/my trusty lightbox. You guys feel me?
    r

  7. #37
    internet pope howyadoin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    35,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
    I got some new pens yesterday, my old ones were driving me nuts. I had been using radiographs, but can't deal with them anymore, they break constantly on me, leaking all over no matter the cleaning I do. So, I'm trying the Rotring ArtPens. The sketch one (EF) so far is really great, and the other ones, made more for writing have tips that can be ground down to get a finer line, and I'm liking that as well.

    So, I've been doing my line work with these and filing in blacks with a brush as usual. What are you guys using for inking?
    I just use Staedtler Lumocolor markers - Fine and Superfine. And the inking mainly gets done on Letraset Bleedproof Marker paper (and occasionally plate-finish illustration board).

    And starkoryan - I love the rendering on the Daredevil pic in the middle of those sketches.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

    song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

  8. #38
    The Notorious BIB mattbib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Posts
    14,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
    Which ones?
    This weekend, if I can finally finish my taxes, I have a new FIN cartoon penciled, and need to ink and color it.
    I owe Tempo for a DMAX-Jam.

    I've also been wanting to draw more Avengers, starting with Monica Rambeau. I also have an Iceman I started awhile back but haven't put any time into.

  9. #39
    Member crazyredlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Urbandale, Iowa
    Posts
    573

    Default

    I'm using Micron and Microperm myself for lining and lettering, but going with dip pens for more organic inking.
    ...I can't find a good pointed sable brush to save my butt though, and I've scanned the tons of brushes they have at the local art stores for the type right now I'm working with a synthetic brush with a cushioned grip, really comfortable if working with it for a long time, but it doesn't really do the work I'd like it to.
    and I work with several types of paper, I'm saving the Bristol for the stuff I want to publish, if that makes sense (and a few dollars as well I hope)

    <matt, I'd love to but I almost don't do movies anymore (I tend to wait till they're on DVD and rent or buy them)

  10. #40
    internet pope howyadoin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    35,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyredlady View Post
    matt, I'd love to but I almost don't do movies anymore (I tend to wait till they're on DVD and rent or buy them
    I hear that. The only movies I saw in a theater last year were the Batman and Iron Man ones.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

    song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

  11. #41
    Member crazyredlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Urbandale, Iowa
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Here's a thought for discussion; Has anyone done Shakespeare in comic book/graphic novel format before?

    I only ask because I just had a titilating idea for one based upon A Midsummer's Night's Dream....

  12. #42
    internet pope howyadoin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    35,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyredlady View Post
    Here's a thought for discussion; Has anyone done Shakespeare in comic book/graphic novel format before?

    I only ask because I just had a titilating idea for one based upon A Midsummer's Night's Dream....
    Shakespeare (as a character), A Midsummer's Night's Dream and The Tempest feature pretty prominently in Sandman, and Romeo and Juliet has been adapted more than once.
    Last edited by howyadoin; 04-08-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

    song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

  13. #43
    Member crazyredlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Urbandale, Iowa
    Posts
    573

    Default

    I'll have to check that out....but the thing that hit me was doing Midsummer gangster style; with oberon as the godfather type and robin as a wiseguy....the dialog would just be hilarious...

  14. #44
    internet pope howyadoin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    35,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyredlady View Post
    I'll have to check that out....but the thing that hit me was doing Midsummer gangster style; with oberon as the godfather type and robin as a wiseguy....the dialog would just be hilarious...
    That could definitely work. The stuff in Sandman (in the Dream Country trade) was a pretty straightforward adaption.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

    song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

  15. #45
    . Jaye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pine Valley
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyredlady View Post
    Here's a thought for discussion; Has anyone done Shakespeare in comic book/graphic novel format before?

    I only ask because I just had a titilating idea for one based upon A Midsummer's Night's Dream....
    Marvel illustrated is working through some classics in graphic novel tpb's. Right now the Odyessey is finishing up. According to the wiki page, there is no Shakespeare yet.

    Jaye

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •