Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Judd Winick on MTV's "Pedro" Movie

Judd Winick first rose to fame after publishing a comic book memoir of his time on MTV's "The Real World" with AIDS activist Pedro Zamora. Now he talks to CBR about MTV's new film based on Zamora's life.

Full article here.

Wackity shmackity doo Riffleraffle's Avatar

Why now, this isn't a very funny April Fools story at all!

Were he and Pedro really that close?
    Hi, my name is Peter Parker and I make satanic pacts with demons. .I shall not buy Amazing Spider-Man until the marriage returns. Be a part of the movement.

didn't Winnick already cash in with a story about Pedro?
    It's a shame that the guy died so young. By all rights, he was very talented and was able to connect with the younger generation of the time to help further research into the treatment and hopeful future obliteration of HIV/AIDS.
    But Enough already. He contracted AIDS, by his OWN words, Through Promiscuous , Unprotected Sex. If his actions can help wake people up to realize that they should either abstain, or at the very least use protection, then great. HIV/AIDS is a disease that should be completely wiped out. But quit hammering him down our throats. He wasn't a great role model.His Actions prove that. What he did after he was diagnosed and told he would die, Now those were admirable. But he's no hero. And his story just gets watered down the more it's told.

Hijo Del Mr Backlund lboinyamouf4sho's Avatar
    lookin right into the eye of the videoscope

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    Were he and Pedro really that close?
    clearly not as close as he & puck.

has pedro's story really been shoved down my throat w/o me noticing?? i heard that judd had wrote a book a long ass time ago but that's about it for me.
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

Maybe not to you. But I've seen plenty. And let me get one thing straight. I am in no way trying to minimalize the effect that Pedro Zamora had in getting recognition to help stop the spread of AIDS. I have always been a fervent supporter of Gay and Lesbian rights and always will be . But Pedro didn't advocate the research and education of HIV/AIDS until he was told that he was going to die.
    Like someone I know, who was an alcoholic. He drank every day all day. He knew it was wrong, but didn't want to hear from anyone else about it. Then one day while drinking, he ran over a kid. He will be in prison the rest of his life for DUI Manslaughter, and only after he was found guilty did he become one of the biggest advocates of MADD. His actions were no different than Pedro's in that he wasn't involved in prevention until he realized that life as he knew it was over.
    i am happy that Pedro touched a lot of lives. He made a difference after the fact. He made horrible decisions , and even after he went public , he still frequented the same clubs, still practiced unsafe sex. He did go on National TV and advocate that Government get more involved in teaching kids and adults the truth about HIV and AIDS, and for that he should be applauded.
    But to call him a hero is wrong. That was my point.

What a genuinely unpleasant thread this is.
    Broke down laughing and screaming for more/If this changed your life, did you have one before?
    sketches - Updated 2/26/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Helix View Post
    What a genuinely unpleasant thread this is.
    I had the exact same thought.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I had the exact same thought.
    i know right geez....i dontthink pedros story has been shoved down anyones throats...cept maybe shauns....and i think people should be aware of how you get aids...it seems that people have become apathetic towards AIDS and HIV even gay people

I can't speak for all gays, but I'm not apathetic toward it. The exact opposite actually.I do every thing in my power ever day to inform and make aware the Virus and Disease that is ever bit as deadly today as it was when it first was reported. There are so many people who have put more on the line to champion the rights of Homosexuals and people gay and non gay alike who have contracted AIDS who you never hear about. Pedro was but one tiny voice , important yes, but the only one it seems whose face always pops up on mtv and in national publications. How many people can truly say that they even had heard the name "Harvey Milk" before Sean Penn took on the role for his movie? Judd Winnick put his name on the Pedro bandwagon even though as mentioned above , He and Pedro weren't that great of friends. Not until Pedro had started to get sick anyway. There are a bunch of people whose names need to be recognized and celebrated for the work that has been done for both AIDS awareness and Gay Rights besides Pedro Zamora.
    And Apologies for making this thread a downer.

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lboinyamouf4sho View Post
    has pedro's story really been shoved down my throat w/o me noticing?? i heard that judd had wrote a book a long ass time ago but that's about it for me.
    Somewhat. In every story that he has written, that I read, there is either a gay character, Sunfire in Exiles and Kyles assistant in Green Lantern or a character with AIDS, Mia in Green Arrow.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    Somewhat. In every story that he has written, that I read, there is either a gay character, Sunfire in Exiles and Kyles assistant in Green Lantern or a character with AIDS, Mia in Green Arrow.
    So what? In the reality that surrounds you there are almost certainly more gay people than JW uses in his books. That way he by far understates his point. There should be MORE gay people, because I like my books as "real" possible.

"I like my books as "real" possible."-----

Then read Vertigo titles. Once you show a man flying or someone with superpowers it isn't real anymore. The "Real World" is depressing as hell. Why Would I want to read about it in my comics too? When I was a kid, I always wondered why they never had gay people in comics, or never showed people going to the bathroom, or why Wolverine couldn't bag Jean Grey instead of that nerd Cyclops. But you know what? It's because these topics (My last two, not the part about gays)
    shouldn't be covered in mainstream comics that are, or were when I was growing up meant for KIDS. They are fantasy tales of Fantasy Worlds with Super Powered Heroes. I don't want to have Superman sleeping with anyone. Or Spider-Man, or Wolverine. Just because nobody ever showed them having sex or mentioning their sexuality doesn't mean that they should either.
    If I want to read real world stories I'll stick my head outside.

Quote Originally Posted by comicartfan View Post
    "I like my books as "real" possible."-----

Then read Vertigo titles. [...] It's because these topics (My last two, not the part about gays) shouldn't be covered in mainstream comics that are, or were when I was growing up meant for KIDS. They are fantasy tales of Fantasy Worlds with Super Powered Heroes.
    Yep, I like Vertigo titles, and since Grell I actually think Green Arrow, for example, would fit as a Vertigo title.

The thing with mainstream comics is, that they are in many cases not "meant for kids" anymore. The audience has aged, so why shouldn't the topics be more realistic, too. But it's a question of personal taste, of course. It's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by comicartfan View Post
    I don't want to have Superman sleeping with anyone. Or Spider-Man, or Wolverine.
    And yet all of these characters have had their sexuality firmly established.