Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Heavy Metal War Machine PatrickG's Avatar

Default The Star Trek Movie (spoilers)

I don't have any spoilers at this point beyond what we see in the various trailers and the casting news.

But the plot appears to be as follows:

A Romulan named Nero travels back in time to disrupt the original series. Spock (Leonard Nimoy) follows in hot pursuit but is too late. History is disrupted. Young Kirk has lost his way. What follows is the original series crew attempting to salvage their destiny in the face of an enemy who has already destroyed their future.

I know a lot of people are deriding the time travel concept and saying it's overdone in Star Trek but I think it's thematically essential to the movie I'm envisioning, which would be good even if it weren't Trek.

I think this movie is going to be about what happens when when a person has a bright future taken away from them and then spits in the eye of fate and says they want it back.

I don't think this is a remake in the way some people imagine and I don't think it's a total invalidation either. I think Kirk and Spock are presented with their classic lives, told they can never live up because history has already changed beyond repair and then rise to the challenge, insisting that the details don't NEED to be intact, that they can make it all happen even in spite of setbacks.

I think that's a more resonant message than a pure origin story or a pure sequel or even a pure remake. But that the whole point of this movie is to contrast the original series with a darker world and have the Enterprise crew insist that they can remake the future that should be impossible for them.

So in a sense, it would wipe out TNG, DS9 and Voyager... But if we believe in Kirk and his crew then all of the other stuff remains true because we want to believe that he can salvage it, even in a new history.

If it is as I suspect, this is all about having your future stolen and then demanding it back, which has never been done before in Star Trek, where time travel usually relies on the time travelers to set history right, not so much the people in the past. If you look at First Contact, that's really about the TNG crew dragging Cochran into the future.

Whereas this? I think this will be about Kirk, at a low ebb in his life, deciding that he can fix the future even without a clear road map. (Although, my prediction is that old Spock will mindmeld with young Spock, providing a partial road map and making Spock the guiding voice in reassembling a future that has already been destroyed.)

BANNED

I'm gonna have to think this all out... but it DOES sound different... and interesting, too...

Video Games give me PTS! Crowley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickG View Post
    I don't have any spoilers at this point beyond what we see in the various trailers and the casting news.

But the plot appears to be as follows:

A Romulan named Nero travels back in time to disrupt the original series. Spock (Leonard Nimoy) follows in hot pursuit but is too late. History is disrupted. Young Kirk has lost his way. What follows is the original series crew attempting to salvage their destiny in the face of an enemy who has already destroyed their future.

I know a lot of people are deriding the time travel concept and saying it's overdone in Star Trek but I think it's thematically essential to the movie I'm envisioning, which would be good even if it weren't Trek.

I think this movie is going to be about what happens when when a person has a bright future taken away from them and then spits in the eye of fate and says they want it back.

I don't think this is a remake in the way some people imagine and I don't think it's a total invalidation either. I think Kirk and Spock are presented with their classic lives, told they can never live up because history has already changed beyond repair and then rise to the challenge, insisting that the details don't NEED to be intact, that they can make it all happen even in spite of setbacks.

I think that's a more resonant message than a pure origin story or a pure sequel or even a pure remake. But that the whole point of this movie is to contrast the original series with a darker world and have the Enterprise crew insist that they can remake the future that should be impossible for them.

So in a sense, it would wipe out TNG, DS9 and Voyager... But if we believe in Kirk and his crew then all of the other stuff remains true because we want to believe that he can salvage it, even in a new history.

If it is as I suspect, this is all about having your future stolen and then demanding it back, which has never been done before in Star Trek, where time travel usually relies on the time travelers to set history right, not so much the people in the past. If you look at First Contact, that's really about the TNG crew dragging Cochran into the future.

Whereas this? I think this will be about Kirk, at a low ebb in his life, deciding that he can fix the future even without a clear road map. (Although, my prediction is that old Spock will mindmeld with young Spock, providing a partial road map and making Spock the guiding voice in reassembling a future that has already been destroyed.)
    Except that:
    a. Spock would NEVER do that
    b. if he were to touch his past self he'd disrupt time.

I heard it will have spaceships in it.
    Broke down laughing and screaming for more/If this changed your life, did you have one before?
    sketches - Updated 2/26/2012

As an actual fan of Trek, I already hate this movie. ^_^ Way before this little tid bit, which makes me even more sad. I'd wish they'd stop burying the franchise already and let it go..

BANNED

On rare occasions, I don't think Spock actually has to have physical contact to perform a mindmeld

I think it will start fantastically, have some great action sequences and great character moments,

And then the ending will be lousy.

Because it's JJ Abrams.
    Corrina Lawson: Writer, Mom, Geek & Superhero.

Phoenix Rising, a superhero adventure, coming in November.

I saw the trailer at Watchmen, and it looks fantastic. After all the Star Trek I've seen, it's easy to think of some things as given--Kirk and Spock are old fuddy-duddies, of course there are spaceships--but the trailer made me remember, 'oh, yeah, Kirk and Spock are bad-asses; early space travel would be nuts.'

Time travel? I just thought it was an origin story. I think that would be the best way to do it. They're easy to make and easy to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
    And go blind.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Felty View Post
    I saw the trailer at Watchmen, and it looks fantastic. After all the Star Trek I've seen, it's easy to think of some things as given--Kirk and Spock are old fuddy-duddies, of course there are spaceships--but the trailer made me remember, 'oh, yeah, Kirk and Spock are bad-asses; early space travel would be nuts.'

Time travel? I just thought it was an origin story. I think that would be the best way to do it. They're easy to make and easy to sell.

And go blind.
    nice one, Dan...

I'm really looking forward to the new film and I hope its great.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Helix View Post
    I heard it will have spaceships in it.
    You do realize that the Internet is full of Rumors and Hearsay? Damn your gullibility to hell.

I have a blog that tracks the movie news. So spoilers.

The story is a bit more complicated thanks to the Star Trek Countdown series.

The story "starts" about 30 years after Star Trek: Nemesis. Ambassador Spock has almost suceeded in unification between the Romulans and Vulcan. Data is now captain of the Enterprise-E and Picard is now Ambassador to Vulcan (I think). Anyway, the sun near Romulus (home planet of the Romulans) is about to go nova. Nero (the villian of the upcoming movie) and Spock get together to go to Vulcan to get the tech that could stop the nova. The Vulcan High Council refuses to provide it and before they can try plan B (probably steal it) the sun goes nova destroying Romulus and Nero's family. Nero vows revenge on Vulcan, Spock and all things Enterprise. That is the first 3 issues.

Issue 4 I assume deals with how Nero gets hold of a time ship to go back in time with Spock following. As part of the movie, Nero attacks the USS Reliant, killing Kirk's parents (seen in the triailers, "saved 800 lives" remark). This is different then Kirk's "true" origin were both his parents essentially died of old age on the Ohio farm. Also the planet under attack in trailers with Spock on the surface, beam attacking it, etc - Vulcan. Now the planet being sucked into a black hole...not sure what that is.

I have a theory that the movie is intended to kick start what I call the Star Trek 2.0 universe. The idea being that old style trekkers still have the orginial universe to have their stories in, their canon from the various movies and so forth. With this movie, going back in time creates the 2.0 parrallel universe where things are similar but not. This allows any new fans to have their fun without the decades of canon that has built up. It is essentially the idea behind the Marvel's Ultimate universe being applied to Star Trek. This also means some ideas can be revisited again from a new perspective (say the Guardian of Forever if Ellison allows it). This isn't proven but it fits all the info I have read and posted about over the last year.

Video Games give me PTS! Crowley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom2000 View Post
    I have a blog that tracks the movie news. So spoilers.

The story is a bit more complicated thanks to the Star Trek Countdown series.

The story "starts" about 30 years after Star Trek: Nemesis. Ambassador Spock has almost suceeded in unification between the Romulans and Vulcan. Data is now captain of the Enterprise-E and Picard is now Ambassador to Vulcan (I think). Anyway, the sun near Romulus (home planet of the Romulans) is about to go nova. Nero (the villian of the upcoming movie) and Spock get together to go to Vulcan to get the tech that could stop the nova. The Vulcan High Council refuses to provide it and before they can try plan B (probably steal it) the sun goes nova destroying Romulus and Nero's family. Nero vows revenge on Vulcan, Spock and all things Enterprise. That is the first 3 issues.

Issue 4 I assume deals with how Nero gets hold of a time ship to go back in time with Spock following. As part of the movie, Nero attacks the USS Reliant, killing Kirk's parents (seen in the triailers, "saved 800 lives" remark). This is different then Kirk's "true" origin were both his parents essentially died of old age on the Ohio farm. Also the planet under attack in trailers with Spock on the surface, beam attacking it, etc - Vulcan. Now the planet being sucked into a black hole...not sure what that is.

I have a theory that the movie is intended to kick start what I call the Star Trek 2.0 universe. The idea being that old style trekkers still have the orginial universe to have their stories in, their canon from the various movies and so forth. With this movie, going back in time creates the 2.0 parrallel universe where things are similar but not. This allows any new fans to have their fun without the decades of canon that has built up. It is essentially the idea behind the Marvel's Ultimate universe being applied to Star Trek. This also means some ideas can be revisited again from a new perspective (say the Guardian of Forever if Ellison allows it). This isn't proven but it fits all the info I have read and posted about over the last year.
    Yeah allegedly some of the TNG cast may show up as well.

I like this idea for a reboot and I hope this movie is good.

Comics as they should be! JTPencils's Avatar

I'm just looking forward to the film. As much as I love classic Trek, I'm always willing to allow for a few variations in something like this. I just want it to be decent enough for me to forget DS9, as well as most of the first season of TNG.

I'm just curious if they're going to franchise this cast if the film does well?

Heavy Metal War Machine PatrickG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
    Except that:
    a. Spock would NEVER do that
    I dunno.

The way I see it, time is already disrupted beyond repair, "sealing off" the old Trek universe.

Young Spock is not the past self of old Spock because the timeline has already diverged beyond repair.

But the mindmeld gives young Spock a knowledge of what the Trek canon *SHOULD* be.

This gives young Spock the details to attempt to rebuild the future.

It also sets things up so that Spock can be the voice of reason, the voice of what has been, the voice of classic Trek fans who know what's supposed to happen.

And, in turn, Kirk can be the guy who says, "To hell with the details. I can manage it with human ingenuity. We can improvise it if we have to."

And McCoy can be the one to look at the other two and say, "My god. You're BOTH egomaniacs playing god with history."

And it sets up a Kirk/Spock kinship if they are the two who know that things are not as they should be and trying to engineer the future back to the way it should be.