Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: WC: Casey Talks "Dark Reign: Zodiac"

This summer, the question of “What’s your sign?” takes on a whole new meaning when Marvel's new three issue “Dark Reign: Zodiac” mini-series begins. CBR News spoke with writer Joe Casey about the series.

Full article here.

I don't normally reply in message boards because this or that article

but for some reason i always loved the Zodiac ever since I got West Coast Avengers Annual #1 after trading a copy of X-factor #40 for it

(hmm X-factor #40 of the current series just came out last week, looks like we're at full circle)

The Zodiac could always have been something great, but always got sidetracked, throw away villains in the mid-90's Alpha Flight, or the attempted use of them during the "first sign" Avengers crossover...which didn't go anywhere when Hero's Reborn came about

But I will eagerly be adding this to my pull list, if nothing else so I can see if "my" character (Taurus) is cooler than yours

A full 12-member Zodiac team which members has various power from mystical, mutant, alien and tech is a force to be reckoned with especially with current Avengers are divided with smaller members.

I hope they flesh out the members of the new Zodiac team.

Quote Originally Posted by SquidSquod View Post
    A full 12-member Zodiac team which members has various power from mystical, mutant, alien and tech is a force to be reckoned with especially with current Avengers are divided with smaller members.

I hope they flesh out the members of the new Zodiac team.
    well it's only a three issue series, at roughly 5 pages per charcacter I think we'll be lucky if maybe four characters get fleshed out

There is no team. It's one dude, Zodiac. He kills the entire team in the first issue, puts their heads in a bag.

This article is poorly written/constructed. Go to newsarama and check out the article there and it's made clearer.

That being said...Nathan Fox...AWESOME artist, but I don't imagine he is going to be bringing many people to this mini, and I could actually see a violent negative reaction to his work.

He's very Paul Pope - which I love, but which is not typical superhero fare.

I can't help but wonder if we've seen this guy before.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/zodiakgr.htm

The Newsarama article doesn't even bother to credit or even mention Nathan Fox.

Nathan is great - he's worked with me on DMZ a few times and I am constantly offering him more work. I think people will love his work on this.

b

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I'm picking it up because it's Joe Casey. It's good that his partner Fox looks impressive, from what I've seen online.

I'm excited for this. It looks like it could be awesome, dark, and subversive.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    There is no team. It's one dude, Zodiac. He kills the entire team in the first issue, puts their heads in a bag.

This article is poorly written/constructed. Go to newsarama and check out the article there and it's made clearer.
    oh...

well I think I'll wait until the 1st issue is on the shelf then before I add it to ye old pull list then

Interesting. At Newsarama, Casey clearly refers to "Zodiac" as an individual.

At CBR, the writer of the article repeatedly refers to a team. Did he just not understand what Casey was talking about? Did he not ask enough questions? Where does the confusion come from?

So wai, f I understand this, it's a 3 issue series starring

"Zodiac the Zombie"

hmmm not sure have a serial killer named Zodiac is the most original idea in thw world

Quote Originally Posted by blehbeh View Post
    At CBR, the writer of the article repeatedly refers to a team. Did he just not understand what Casey was talking about? Did he not ask enough questions? Where does the confusion come from?
    From what I gather reading the (definitely somewhat better written) Newsarama article, it sounds like the heads of the Zodiac members are still alive in some kind of capacity (perhaps like the heads in jars on Futurama), even though the bodies are dead. I think that may be the source of the Zodiac individual's powers and/or information. That may be where the confusion lay; either that, or else the writer was trying not to spoil too much and ended up not effectively communicating the nature of the mini.

aw heck remembered one of the names from the list of "geusts"

Dave Cannon aka Whirlwind

Whirlwind actualy had a fatal attarction to Janet vanDyne, the Wasp it's kind of curious to see how he reacts to the object of his attraction being deceased

Also curious thing about whirlwind, there seems to be two of them

One whirlwind is pretty much lucid, obsessed with the Wasp, but not to the extent of psychosis, "just" to stalker level, he also has Human Top powers, the ability to spin at hyper-speed....best and coolest example is when he told off Dr.Pym in West Coast Avengers #16

Another Whirlwind was beyond psychotic, mainly first appearing in Busiek & Perez's Avenger's #4 wearing his Heroes Reborn look
    This Whirlwind dressed hookers up as the wasp before beating them severely, his powers also were more geared flight/wind powers
    best example was the infamous Janet and Hank sex issue of the old avengers series

if Zodiac the character is recruiting "Zodiac: the team" my geuss Whirlwind would fit the role of Gemini