Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: LiveJournal Shuts Down Scans_Daily

The popular online comics community Scans_Daily has been suspended by host
    LiveJournal for publishing copyrighted materials without permission, a necessary
    function of the community. CBR's blogs ROBOT 6 and Comics Should Be Good
    report.

Full article here.

Does anyone honestly believe Marvel and their legal department weren't aware of Scans Daily before Peter David reported it?
    For-Real-True is only true now.

Story-True is true forever.

-Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
    Does anyone honestly believe Marvel and their legal department weren't aware of Scans Daily before Peter David reported it?
    From whats been said by David , Marvel didn't even have to alert the legal department before it was shut down.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Paragon of Derpitude Elegance Liberty's Avatar

I can't say I'll miss the drama and the snark, but damn...
    "Why is it when someone says, 'with all due respect', they really mean 'kiss my ass'?" - Ashley Williams, 'Mass Effect

There goes another one of the many places that helped get me into comics.

Hopefully it will resurface somewhere more stable than insanejournal. I bought a lot of new books because of that site. Recently, they were posting some of the classic Creepy stories which has really motivated me to buy those Creepy Archives that are coming out.

Is looking for slash chaosakita's Avatar

No! Where else am I going to find my wonderful subtext!

is a very dirty girl Athena Bast's Avatar

There's a part of me that thinks it's going to be illegal to sit in a room with your friends and a long box and read comics and show them the cool or dumb stuff someone in the book just did.
    So, there's this thing ​NEW! 5/3/13

Eh, 4chan's /rs/ can't be stopped.

It will come back in some form. Either those behind scans_daily will rebuild it themselves or some other site will come in and fill the void.

And I hope it does come back. It's a great resource for killing time, checking out stuff I might not normally, and reviewing some things read before (without the need for pulling out a box of comics).

Obviously, this blue part here is the land...

Quote Originally Posted by Athena Bast View Post
    There's a part of me that thinks it's going to be illegal to sit in a room with your friends and a long box and read comics and show them the cool or dumb stuff someone in the book just did.
    Oh come on. Sitting in a room with friends is not the same as illegally republishing a book that came out a couple hours ago. It's just not even close to the same thing.

Scans_Daily is dead. Fuck 'em.

Maybe it's unfair of me but I'm inclined to blame Peter David- especially with his latest "DON'T SPOIL MAH COMICS. I AM RELEVANT" windmill-chase. This is the absolute height of silliness- the scans occurred on Wednesday-Thursdays, guidelines were enforced, and I picked up many a books because of their scans. It's like the guy just discovered the internet two months ago and decided to make a fuss.

At worst it lessened my incline to pick up crappy books to the same extent that flipping through a book does in a comicshop. It's genuinely silly. There were even creators who used the site themselves - Warren Ellis comes to mind, and it was always a forum for discussion.

Hate to break it to you but if people want to read your comics online- there are much simpler ways than to browse through scans and discussions of books on S_D.

This is quite literally the equivalent of removing 30-second streaming sound clips of songs from Amazon. Kudos on chasing down the enemy. :rolleyes:

Obviously, this blue part here is the land...

Prediction: Sales will not drop one percent because Scans_Daily shut down. Because people who claim that they bought a lot of books after they stole them are lying.

Fact: Sales won't raise a decimal either because they decided to shut down S_D.

Again I tell you that those who steal comicbooks online because they do not want to purchase them do NOT use s_D.

Quote Originally Posted by Radical_dreamer View Post
    This is quite literally the equivalent of removing 30-second streaming sound clips of songs from Amazon.
    Not, it's not literally the equivalent, or even figuratively the equivalent, because Amazon is a distributor which (presumably) is licensed to provide samples.

It's not the equivalent of banning libraries or browsing in bookstores or loaning books to your friend. It's about reproducing material without the right to do so or any sort of relationship with the owner of the material.