Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Who Reviews The Watchmen? CBR!

CBR's Erik Amaya turns in this review of the most anticipated superhero movie
    ever, saying Zack Snyder’s shockingly faithful adaptation of “Watchmen” offers a
    great deal to fans of the original novel and first time movie goers alike.

Full article here.

This pretty much sums up what I've already heard, although there are a few parts (like Nite Owl instead of Rorschach seeing Veidt) that surprised me as being different. Still sounds great, but now I'm more convinced that Matthew Goode's Ozymandias is faithful (I've heard some bad reviews of his acting, mainly to do with the German accent he added [which I don't support but can understand] and his few scenes which gives the character a lack of background).

Can't wait for it in IMAX.
    Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all, we're only mortal. - Jean-Luc Picard

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - The Guide

The more disconcerting alteration is a line at the films close that implies Dan and Laurie will have a place in Veidts world as Night Owl and Silk Spectre. In both the Watchmen novel and Alan Moores Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, the main characters visit the females mother. In both, they have blond hair and inhabit worlds of peace and scientific wonders. The price of this paradise: leaving behind the masks. While the line in the film could just as easily refer to their relationship and the Owl Ships place in it, the remark almost seems like Snyder is implying the masks are necessary in their private and public lives.
    Dan and Laurie intended to continue adventuring in the book as well. The last scene with them shows them walking off while talking about how they couldn't have children yet because it would interfere with their adventuring careers. Laurie suggests that she start carrying a gun. That part seems faithful to the original.

Thanks for the review. It calmed a few concerns I had about the movie. I can't wait until the 6th.

I for one kinda amuse that the film kinda look more like the idea I have of the 80's than the comic book

Goode's Ozymandias is faithful (I've heard some bad reviews of his acting, mainly to do with the German accent he added [which I don't support but can understand] and his few scenes which gives the character a lack of background).
    Just watch interview of the actor playing veidt and he look nothing like the guy normaly
    Last edited by Redem; 02-27-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    Has to remember his suggestion for the traitor game

#17! RED/MRF/NKA/AMD/RZL/SHP/RHN/MIB/VF/ALC/ NWG/MN/HW

can you crack the code?

Quote Originally Posted by TheComet View Post
    Dan and Laurie intended to continue adventuring in the book as well. The last scene with them shows them walking off while talking about how they couldn't have children yet because it would interfere with their adventuring careers. Laurie suggests that she start carrying a gun. That part seems faithful to the original.
    Yeah, I was going to chime in on the same point. Found it utterly bewildering because it's pretty blatant, and the movie sounds like it's remaining perfectly in line. Really "disconcerting", that...
    Last edited by kidpernicious; 02-28-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Great Review!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kidpernicious View Post
    Yeah, I was going to chime in on the same point. Found it utterly bewildering because it's pretty blatant, and the movie sounds like it's remaining perfectly in line. Really "disconcerting", that...
    It's interesting to hear that is it is part of the text. There were only so many details from the book I could retain while watching the movie and this particular aspect rung out at at me, especially considering how similiar it is to the final pages of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow." The actual scene is different. Sally comes to visit Dan and Laurie at his home and the dialogue refers more to fixing the Owlship. Children never come into the discussion. Maybe my reaction was just my fear that they were trying to pitch a "Watchmen 2" than anything intrinsic to the scene. In any event, it is nice to know the film does not deviate from the intent of that scene.

I've been a bit bewildered by the decent reviews of the movie. The slow mo fight scenes and general jerry bruckheimer-ness (people punching through walls?) of the movie really missed the whole point of the original work (in my opinion fwiw). Visually it is faithful in a lot of respects and it does have a couple of high points (opening credits). Even as a stand alone movie without the comic as context I thought it was pretty chintzy and didn't have much substance. The guy who played Rorshach was good. Putting my fanboy-ish-ness aside I would probably give this movie a C- or D. I thought it was a bad movie and since it was based on, what I consider, a masterpiece, that makes it that much more grating.
    Last edited by Neptunicus; 03-06-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: I suck at spelling

BANNED

Might go to an IMAX showing but they seem really sparse in scheduling shows throughout the day. Also I'm going to wait until the 2nd week box office numbers on hit on the weekend of March 14-15th to see if business slows down.

Can't stand crowds. Especially the mainstream moms with their kids in tow!

See, this was the kind of crap I was warning you about, every goddamn media outlet is going to be using a twist on the Who Watches the Watchmen tagline. Dogs and cats, living together...
    The Punisher: Im going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pants Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youll die screaming! And Ill watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

just finished watching this with my girlfriend and her sister.

Wish they just adapted this fully without tweaking it.

Girlfriend didn't care for Doctor Manhattan being naked most of the film

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Wish they just adapted this fully without tweaking it.
    I like the tweek. I don't think a giant squid monster from no where would've worked on screen.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...