Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default What to do with Monica?

Is there a place for Monica on an Avengers team? Or should she be used elsewhere?

Should she make a comeback along with NextWave?

Is she too powerful, or is that an excuse by unimaginative writers?

What would you have Marvel do with Monica?

Quote Originally Posted by mattbib View Post
    Is there a place for Monica on an Avengers team? Or should she be used elsewhere?

What would you have Marvel do with Monica?
    I think she should be put in with the Mighty Avengers, the Nextwave thing is never particularly intrusive on other titles so its not like it wouldn't make sense if she were on both titles or anything.
    Last edited by Will.S; 02-22-2009 at 07:51 PM.

2 words: Nextwave reunion.

Laughing it up Freestyle Leebenhouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
    Aye, bring back NextWave!!!

Ellis should do a mini!

Whiz Kids Vs. Witchcraft! tangentman's Avatar

Leave NextWave as a self-contained parody, and bring Monica back to where she truly shines: the Avengers. Preferably in some sort of leadership capacity. I could see Slott working wonders with her in MA.
    Who needs CoTM when you can have a Skullie?

I am Tangent Man! I do not care!

Monica + Nextwave = WIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
    This. THIS. With a cover that can be colored.

As far as I'm concerned they're all still floating in that city in the sky, hanging out, drinking beer, kicking the crap out of Aaron when need be. And that purported "death of Boom Boom" thing was nothing more than a construct left over by the Beyond Corporation, and completely made of broccoli.

Okay 1st I'm going to say that most of my exposure to the character was during Roger Stern's Avengers run. So I really don't know if my problems with her might have been addressed since then.

Adding a black woman to the Avengers team was a great idea, especially on the team at the time which lacked diversity. Her power set is interesting. My problem was her personality, or lack thereof. The character had no conflict. Her parents were supportive and perfect. She seems basically perfect. Her powers are godlike. Where is the conflict? Also it was really odd the way she was so quickly made the leader of the Avengers, a team that had Thor, Captain America, Wasp and Black Knight...most of whom had served as team leaders and were much more experienced.

They tried to add a bit of conflict with Doctor Druid trying to undermine her as leader. But Dr. Druid is so unlikeable, it's all one sided. Again Monica is always right. Anyway that's how I remember it.

Make Monica a little less perfect and add a bit of conflict and we'll have a great character, but until that happens I'm not interested.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    Okay 1st I'm going to say that most of my exposure to the character was during Roger Stern's Avengers run. So I really don't know if my problems with her might have been addressed since then.

Adding a black woman to the Avengers team was a great idea, especially on the team at the time which lacked diversity. Her power set is interesting. My problem was her personality, or lack thereof. The character had no conflict. Her parents were supportive and perfect. She seems basically perfect. Her powers are godlike. Where is the conflict? Also it was really odd the way she was so quickly made the leader of the Avengers, a team that had Thor, Captain America, Wasp and Black Knight...most of whom had served as team leaders and were much more experienced.

They tried to add a bit of conflict with Doctor Druid trying to undermine her as leader. But Dr. Druid is so unlikeable, it's all one sided. Again Monica is always right. Anyway that's how I remember it.

Make Monica a little less perfect and add a bit of conflict and we'll have a great character, but until that happens I'm not interested.

I'll agree with you on this. Stern seemed hell-bent on promoting his new creation, often at the expense of the rest of the team. It was cool to see a new, different character making her mark on the Avengers... but holy crap, did it ever get tiresome after a while. For the most part, the Avengers kinda stood around while Monica did her thing, completely outclassing everyone else. She had no faults, no weaknesses... she might as well have been a DC character.

I cheered when Iron Man took her down in the ECA/WCA battle.

I'd love to see her come back, and become a major player in the Avengers again. Just drop all the Mary Sue crap.

black characters are always too perfect when they don't lose constantly..

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattbib View Post
    Nextwave or Mighty Avengers. Since she could provide a large amount of kick-a$$ to either team.

I wish, but would NextWave sell?

For the most part, "too powerful" is always an excuse by unimaginative writers. This is no exception.

I fear for her if Bendis or Hudlin get to use her.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Either Nextwave part deux, or Mighty Avengers, I'd like to see her something more upbeat.

I'd love to see her co-lead a real Avengers team with Hawkeye.

Unless there is another Nextwave mini in the works, I say put her on Mighty Avengers.

I've had this idea for a Monica mini series for a long time now, and I think it'd be great to re-establish her in the MU.

Monica gets assigned to be the Initiative hero for New Orleans (a solo hero separate from the state team a'la Falcon, Blue Shield, Darkhawk, etc.) and decides that she wants to get back to her law enforcement roots, so she becomes a private detective as well as the registered hero for the city.

Of course the local cops are sore that they have their very own personal super hero watching out for them (makes them feel incompetent and a little jealous, of course) and they don't quite respect her or help her out initially. She has few friends left in the harbor patrol where she used to work, but luckily they're around to offer a kind word.

Monica must also deal with assisting her mother Maria, who is all alone in her big house following the death of Monica's father. Torn between her responsibilities as a daughter and a hero, Monica has a ton of difficult choices to make.

In the midst of the personal crises comes a turf war between two rival gangs that want to take over the Hurricane ravaged burroughs of New Orleans and use them as their own "districts" for individuals like them once the reconstruction process is complete.

On one side are a family of Southern vampires whose hatred for humans is only eclipsed by their hatred for African Americans, as their clan dates back to the pre-Civil War era.

On the other side are a gang of regular humans that seem to have super powers, which are in reality mystically augmented abilities given to them by the demoness and Ghost Rider villain Diabolique, who looks like a six-year-old girl and wants to stake a claim in our dimension again to try and become a prominent force of mystical evil.

After such a mini series, she could easily transition into a regular role in Avengers: The Initiative or Mighty Avengers. What do you think?

"Art is anything that you can get away with."

Pull List: Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, Fearless Defenders, Wolverine & The X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, Morning Glories, Mind the Gap, Fables