Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default i'm sick of madonna tours, she needs to re-focus on good albums

I can understand why she's dedicating all her energy to tours these days. They appeal to a far wider audience than her albums and generate a lost more cash.

The last few albums have been really half-assed though.

In the 80's, she was more about great singles and the albums were somewhat heavy on filler.

But with Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray of Light and Music she was concentrating more on great albums. In the 90's the singles were still there, but the album tracks were interesting as well.

And I guess American Life was an attempt at a great album, but it flopped. So the two since then were just churned out so she'd have an excuse to tour.

I wish she would go back to being a clever rip off artist, find something underground and transform it into big commercial pop songs. Instead of just doing what Gwen Stefani and Nelly Furtado were doing three years back.

Hopefully her divorce and a string of hot studs will reinspire her musically.

I'm not saying she shouldn't still tour. If anything, the fact most of her audience for live shows is always going to pay to hear her older hits, frees her up to do whatever she wants on the newer albums.

I'm happy enough she returned Guy's balls intact.
    " Why do stars suddenly appear, every time I drink beer ? " ~~~ Karen Ellis

Ditto, Cam....
    - the Congressman

Wheres my invisible Tiger Spiffy's Avatar

Does she even tour in the U.S. anymore? I thought all Her Majesty is willing to do now is Europe.

When has she ever focused on good albums?
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light are both quite good.
    For-Real-True is only true now.

Story-True is true forever.

-Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"

This really is a thread about Madonna. Wow.

"Like a Prayer" was just on the radio when I was driving hom too. I still live that song. Personally, I wish Madonna would just go away, so we could get to the nostalgic-only-remember-the-good-stuff point. Like Elvis.

CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR was damn good stuff, and HARD CANDY has some solid tracks.

Granted, I think any artist is probably wise to concentrate on tours over albums, because that's where the actual money is. (Madonna probably has a better deal from the labels than 99% of artists, but it still makes sense for her to focus on what's more profitable.)

Quote Originally Posted by scout1279 View Post
    This really is a thread about Madonna. Wow.

"Like a Prayer" was just on the radio when I was driving hom too. I still live that song. Personally, I wish Madonna would just go away, so we could get to the nostalgic-only-remember-the-good-stuff point. Like Elvis.
    But then we'd never get

anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by FalconX2000 View Post
    But then we'd never get

anymore...
    I wanna know what she's going to do with the bottle.
    Her music has always been touch and go. Some is pretty good, as previously mentioned, but her shows are highly developed theatrical events. Quite good actually.
    " Did it go Poof?" J Knoxville

No task too small ForeverTaskmaster's Avatar

I never understood why Madonna became so popular.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
    Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light are both quite good.
    And everything else is pretty much crap. Even I have to admit those 2 albums have some merit, though.

My best friend made me listen to some of her early stuff last year. I found it interesting how much some of that sounded like what Stephanie Mills was doing with Mtume and (then Madonna producer) Reggie Lucas around the same time... And I realized once more how important a good vocalist is to me.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

I honestly like some of Madge's music, but she was a bit of a cunt.
    " Why do stars suddenly appear, every time I drink beer ? " ~~~ Karen Ellis

Comics as they should be! JTPencils's Avatar

First you're assuming she ever had good albums. She had some decent tracks here and there that were mildly danceable... or perhaps gave a thoughtful moment. But I can't honestly say she ever had an incredible body of work on any ONE of her albums.

She needs to refocus on the fact that she's NOT British. That, and the amusing fact she won't let her own kids watch TV. What? Afraid they're gonna spot your old videos on MTV2 or something and see what an unabashed tart you are?

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the music industry is currently in turmoil. They've been losing revenue and profits long before the current economic crisis. Albums simply are not selling like they used to thanks to technology. The focus is quickly shifting from albums to singles. And artists are focusing more on tours than recorded music.
    Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.