Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Re-Reading Watchmen: Issue #8

For this week's look at the heartbreaking eighth chapter of "Watchmen," Atom! and
    Carr are joined by comedian and animation producer Steve Marmel, known for
    his work on “Fairly Odd Parents” and “Yin Yang Yo" and more.

Full article here.

Best. Gag. Ever. Sunspot's spots's Avatar

Default Hollywood Square

I don't normally comment on this kind of thing, but after enjoying this series for a bit now, I was left rather wanting with "Re-Reading the Watchmen: Issue 8." Why bring in a stand-up comedy angle? Doing no (Hooded) Justice whatsoever to the real Comedian at hand, and after making all this progress with University professors and deep analyses, why the retreat into ironic distance?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't employ humor ~ all in all this has been an entertaining as well as insightful study of "The Watchmen" so far. Criticism doesn't bother me at all, and in fact the critical-eye that has been applied in this series so far has been one of its best selling-point, as far as I'm concerned.
    Maybe the writers were trying for a new angle, or perhaps feeling pressed for time, it happens to all of us, but please - this has been a mo(o)re than decent revisiting of a milestone in its genre - give the last five issues the effort they deserve.

Hell, maybe I am just being hard-to-please today. Did anyone else find this installment not up to par, or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunspot's spots View Post
    I don't normally comment on this kind of thing, but after enjoying this series for a bit now, I was left rather wanting with "Re-Reading the Watchmen: Issue 8." Why bring in a stand-up comedy angle? ...
    Hell, maybe I am just being hard-to-please today. Did anyone else find this installment not up to par, or is it just me?
    I didn't enjoy this installment as much either. In the future, I hope Steve Marmel can be left out of the feature. I didn't feel his humor added anything to the discussion.

ATOM!: Obviously, the plan is not to show Hollis's old face until his death mask, but why is what I don't get.

CARR: And the shadow makes an actual mask on his face. There is one clear shot of him in the first issue, when he says Dan was a better Nite-Owl, but it does seem a clear decision not to show him. Maybe because the Golden Age heroes exist more as an idea than actual characters? “Watchmen” is clearly a six-character play. But you're right, for a character whose voice we hear for four issues’ worth of "Under the Hood" backups, there is something odd about the decision to keep his face off-panel.
    In the first issue we see only The Mask Killer's arms when he's murdering The Comedian and that person seems to be wearing a purple sweater with recognizable cuffs. Hollis is wearing a similar sweater throughout the series.

I read The Watchmen for the first time very late in my comics life and I was spoiled before hand about the real killer. But I always thought with this precise graphical details, the sweaters cuffs wasn't something just overlooked by Moore and Gibbons. So maybe they were trying to indicate Hollis as the Mask Killer with this sweater and keep his face off-panel to give a villanous feel. He's even friends with Dan. And he had something of a motive when first forced to retire as a hero and then as a mechanic.
    Last edited by MrHangman; 03-02-2009 at 11:11 PM.