Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Anyone find Geoff Johns overrated

I know he is very popular but I find him to be pretty standard and not to have much of his own voice as a writer. He seems to be a writer for people who are strictly in to the characters but not the writer. Morrison,Busiek,Millar etc all have their own unique style that shines through no matter who they are writing. Johns is not like that. Anyone agree?

Sort of. Sometimes he's good and sometimes he isn't. He tends to just slop corny horseradish on a lot of his stuff (JSA) but I think when he can remove himself from how much he love love LOVES a character than it turns out a lot better (Green Lantern).

I like him, I'm not that well read on all the different writers but I still like his work.

I completely disagree. I feel that Johns does have a style all his own and he is probably one of the best writers in DC today.

Morrison has the crazy ideas.
    Busiek has heavy characterization.
    Millar has his political style.
    Johns likes to play with continuity and team interactions. He also does a hell of a job at making villains cool.

Tucker Stone wrote a very good thing on Geoff Johns, in his review of "Legion of 3 Worlds" #1, which I think describes him very well when he's at his worst(there is some profanity)[Also, I like Geoff Johns for the most part, I just thought this was funny and described pretty well a lot of the frustration I have with his writing sometimes]:

"What exactly is the limit of fan-service that Geoff Johns won't cross? Can you pay him to clean the toilet? Will he put 'em on the glass? He's got to have the easiest job in the universe, just figuring out whatever neo-nonsense he can find in the DC Archives, combine them with something from the 80's, find whatever artist he can whose art most resembles George Perez, in some cases, just hire George Perez, and then churn out whatever earth-shatteringly simple plot he can so that George Perez can draw every version of a character possible on a two-page spread and then wait for people to sit around and thank him for remembering their twenty year old childhood. Is there anything in the pop-culture wastebasket that gets left there? Legion of 3 Worlds isn't the worst possible "let me stick the tip in" fan comic ever published, that title will always be held by those things where you send in your name and a box top and you get back an issue of Superman where he keeps referring to a side character by "Your Own Name!" But it's pretty pointless crap, and it's entertaining only so far as it's entertaining to read something that's exactly like something you've read before, except this time it's about your favorite characters instead of your second favorites."
    Last edited by Paul Newell; 02-15-2009 at 05:45 PM.

I don't find him overrated at all. The fact that he's somehow managed to keep Green Lantern going as a monthly event comic for three years is pretty remarkable.

His 10 year JSA run was great too.

when you mean standard

you mean
    able to write a story with beginning middle and end with a compeling plotand that everyone gets whats going on the first go. able to mix action with character development. and genially have thereaders wanting to come back every month.
    Cyclops ad portas

I don't think he's overrated; but I do think he's starting to get a bit burnt out.

I think he'd do a lot better if he cut his workload to one or two books with universe changing events per year.
    "In times of CRISIS, it's of utmost importance to always keep ones' head."- M. Antionette

Dill Crockery Knoodle Jones-That Stillwell guy

Maybe its also the fact that he has never done anything outside of the realms of Superheroes, and even going further...DC Superheroes (I believe he may have done a handful of issues of Avengers or something, but nothing too significant.) Pretty much every other major comic talent has done something that breaks the mould.

Morrison: Invisibles, The Filth, and countless others
    Millar: Wanted
    Bendis: Goldfish, Jinx, Powers
    Busiek: Astro City, Arrowsmith, Conan
    Fraction: Cassanova
    Ellis: Transmet, Planetary and countless others
    Winick: Pedro and Me
    Simone: Welcome To Tranquility
    Brubaker: Sleeper, Criminal, etc.
    Waid: Potter's Field, Huner Killer,

Just to name a few. It would be interesting to see Johns take on something that doesn't require years of continuity knowlege to understand. Stars and Stripe was the closest thing I can think of.

He tried a creator owned title a few years ago about a group of exorcists.

I read the first issue and gave it away to somebody. Never even heard if a second issue came out.
    "In times of CRISIS, it's of utmost importance to always keep ones' head."- M. Antionette

Dill Crockery Knoodle Jones-That Stillwell guy

I don't mean to flame in any way. I'm sure there something there if so many people see it. I have never really delved in to the world of Green Lantern enough to say whether his is good or not. His Action Comics was ok. I preferred Busiek's Superman at that time with the exception of the Braniac arc. I thought his JSA started out decent, but began to meander by the 10th issue or so.

I guess I just prefer to read something from a particular writer and feel like I am definitely reading their work

ie. Morrison's Batman RIP taking elements of The invisibles, and the writing in parts of Trinity having a similar vibe to Astro City.

BANNED

I dont think he's perfect, but I enjoy 99% of his work.

He's easily the most consistent writer DC has.

Quote Originally Posted by 40footwolf View Post
    "What exactly is the limit of fan-service that Geoff Johns won't cross? Can you pay him to clean the toilet? Will he put 'em on the glass? He's got to have the easiest job in the universe, just figuring out whatever neo-fucking nonsense he can find in the DC Archives, combine them with something from the 80's, find whatever artist he can whose art most resembles George Perez, in some cases, just hire George Perez, and then churn out whatever earth-shatteringly simple plot he can so that George Perez can draw every version of a character possible on a two-page spread and then wait for people to sit around and thank him for remembering their twenty year old childhood. Is there anything in the pop-culture wastebasket that gets left there? Legion of 3 Worlds isn't the worst possible "let me stick the tip in" fan comic ever published, that title will always be held by those things where you send in your name and a box top and you get back an issue of Superman where he keeps referring to a side character by "Your Own Name!" But it's pretty pointless shit, and it's entertaining only so far as it's entertaining to read something that's exactly like something you've read before, except this time it's about your favorite characters instead of your second favorites."
    My gosh that's harsh. But it probably explains why I have never been able to cotton on to Johns work. I just find his stuff about as fun to read as the phone book.
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

I think GJ is good. I didn't love that overly long Origins arc in GL much.

Registration Withdrawn TROUBLEZ's Avatar

Yeah, I think he's overrated as a writer. When I read his stuff I feel like I'm reading fan-fiction.
    I think he has some great ideas like the actual Sinestro Corps but past that it's whatever.