Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Howard Lovecraft & The Frozen Kingdom

Here is a book I created/written that is coming out with Arcana studios.
    Here is a sneak peek.

If you want to read more about this project, I just finished an interview over
    at comicmonsters.com about Howard Lovecraft & The Frozen Kingdom.

Feel free to check it out!

http://www.comicmonsters.com/feature...n_Kingdom.html

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

That ...

looks

(& reads!) ...

great.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Hey Dan!

Thanks so much. I am pretty excited abou this book. It will be finished in
    production in about a month and looking to get it in stores this year!
    I think fans of Lovecraft will find this little twisted tale thoroughly
    enjoyable!

I suspect you're right. I've been reading HPL & Mythos stuff since ... well, a long time (Nixon was in office), & I can't say I really recall anything focusing on his father.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Winfield Lovecraft plays a pivotal role in this story, but largely it is
    a story about six year old Howard Lovecraft and what happens when
    he doesn't heed his insane father's warnings about the Necronomicon.

Just finished writing the Making of Howard Lovecraft & the Frozen Kingdom
    so if you are interested in the book or simply curious how comics are made,
    I think you will find this interesting!
    Feel free to check it out. Here is the link:

http://www.comicmonsters.com/section...uce_Brown.html

That looks so very cool!

-Matt
    -
    FlamesRising.com - Horror & Dark Fantasy Webzine

Hey Matt,

Thanks so much! I think people will love this little twisted all ages
    Lovecraft tale!

Great job, Bruce! Can't wait to read it!

Thanks Stingerman! I appreciate the kind words and will let everyone know when the book comes out!

Default Early Review are in!

Feel free to check out Howard Lovecraft & The Frozen Kingdom's early review from Planet Lovecraft Magazine! Howard is available for pre-order NOW!
    The diamond order code is: OCT 09 0688

Check out the review!

As a Lovecraft aficionado, I take an interest in all things HPL, and when I came across the website of Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom a while back, my curiosity was definitely piqued.

Let me make one thing clear – I consider myself a Lovecraft scholar, but I’m not a Lovecraft purist by any stretch of the imagination. As much as I love The Old Gent’s weird tales, I love even more a contemporary writer that can understand Lovecraft’s intent and then weave their own storylines within the Mythos.

With Arcana’s “Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom”, Bruce Brown has given us a little of both… he spins a yarn that falls half in the “real” world – that is, Lovecraft’s childhood – and half in The Frozen Kingdom, an alternate dimension that brings to mind Randolph Carter’s Dreamlands.

In fact, one of the strengths of HLatFK is that, if you’re an HPL fan, everything feels a little familiar. Brown is obviously a fan himself, and so you feel comfortable letting him steer you through his version of Lovecraft Country. And as he tells his story, we meet characters and creatures and discover clues that will obviously lead young Howard to the writer he becomes and the stories he’s best known for.

The art, by Renzo Podesta, is nothing short of gorgeous, each frame so stuffed with natural motion that it looks like you’re looking at a series of animated cels, colored in muted sepias for Howard’s everyday, real world, and icy blue-greens in the world of the Frozen Kingdom. In fact, more than once I thought to myself, “I want to see this movie!”

Will everyone love this? Probably not. There’s a broad and sometimes jarring child-like humor that runs contrary to the dark images, but I embraced it for what it was – the obvious joy of a writer getting caught up in his characters, and Podesta counters by channeling Bill Watterson (creator of Calvin and Hobbes) at his best with young Howard and his Cthulhian pet, Spot.

Where so many recent companies have jumped on the Lovecraft bandwagon and turned the Old Ones into just a bunch of creatures to punch, shoot, or blow up, it’s nice to see someone with a genuine love – and knowledge – of the source material step up and show ‘em how it’s done.

Ia!

K.L. Young
    Editor, Art Director, Lavatory Cleaner
    Planet Lovecraft Magazine

Default Early Review from Cosmic Book News

Also check out another review at Cosmic Book News!

Click on the link below to check it out!

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/reviews/hlfk_review

Excellent! I went looking for the thread on this about a month ago when the (not really at all similar, though quite charming in itself) Young Lovecraft TPB came out.

Been looking foward to Frozen Kingdom ever since I read the first word about it right here; this promises to be utterly remarkable.

-- Reptisaurus!

Btw, the Cosmic Book News review says "it's coming in October," while Amazon lists this coming March as the publication date. Did the Cosmic Book reviewer just misinterpret the Diamond code (I avoid the hell out of Previews, so I pay no attention to those anyway ... but they do seem to be about as far in advance as the month that appears on a given individual comic), or is the earlier date correct?

-- Reptisaurus!