Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Road to the White House: Dan Goldman on "08"

New Republic journalist Michael Crowley and "Shooting War" artist Dan Goldman
    invite readers to relive the twists and turns of the 2008 presidential contest in "08:
    A Graphic Diary of the Campaign Trail," on sale this week.

Full article here.

Keeper of the DC Flame emerald archer's Avatar

Nice to see such a nice balanced take on the 08 elections. It is wonderful to see that true balanced journalism hasn't died..............

Oh wait, it's the New Republic we are talking about, another one of the media outlets thats been in the bag for Obama since day one...........

You heard it hear first, Obama will make Jimmy Carter look like a cross between FDR and Lincoln, and will make Hoover look like an economic genius.

America's next Independance Day is 01/21/2013!
    Last edited by emerald archer; 01-27-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald archer View Post
    Nice to see such a nice balanced take on the 08 elections. It is wonderful to see that true balanced journalism hasn't died..............

Oh wait, it's the New Republic we are talking about, another one of the media outlets thats been in the bag for Obama since day one...........

You heard it hear first, Obama will make Jimmy Carter look like a cross between FDR and Lincoln, and will make Hoover look like an economic genius.

America's next Independance Day os 01/21/2013!
    It looks like they even have Obama WIN at the end. God, they're so biased!

This looks OK, but seems a little superficial. I followed all these news reports as they happened, so maybe it would read better as a primer to someone less familiar with the campaign. Maybe an approach more centered around a New Republic journalist's coverage of the campaign would work better than one trying to tell the entire story. This strikes me much as Shooting War or The 9/11 Commission Report did: interesting enough to read, but flawed enough not to really recommend.

America's next Independance Day is 01/21/2013!
    What the hell kind of Green Arrow fan are you?

Quote Originally Posted by andy khouri View Post
    What the hell kind of Green Arrow fan are you?
    What kind? One, like Ollie Queen, who isn't led by the nose just because the media tries to do it. One who realizes that the media was in the tank for Obama since day one and never vetted him, ignored much of his past, and then went out of it's way to hatchet his opponents, be it Hillary Clinton or John McCain.

Ollie Queen is less a liberal and more a reactionary. Thier is a significant difference.
    Last edited by emerald archer; 01-27-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Ollie Queen is less a liberal and more a reactionary. Thier is a significant difference.
    Nonsense. Ollie would spit in your face.

Nonsense. Ollie would spit in your face.
    Wow, so your a senior editor here at CBR. So it this the professional mantle you assume on the forums? Acting like a troll???

Wow, so your a senior editor here at CBR. So it this the professional mantle you assume on the forums? Acting like a troll???
    It's not trolling to observe a plainly erroneous characterization of a well known superhero and then presume to predict his response to that defamation.

Also, GREEN ARROW IS NOT REAL.

It's not trolling to observe a plainly erroneous characterization of a well known superhero and then presume to predict his response to that defamation.

Also, GREEN ARROW IS NOT REAL.
    Wow man you are fun, you were the one who said Ollie would spit in my face and also cast yourself as the expert on how he would react. Then you scream he's not real. Thats OK, I don't think your real either.

I suggest you go back to the post Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil characterization of Ollie, a characterization that for the most part is in place today. Then look up the definitions of Liberal, Progressive and Reactionary. Tell me which one fits the fictitious Mr. Queen.

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

The media merely goes with the stories that the majority are fond of.

Besides, if the media is making Obama out to be a liberal, that just proves they really have no idea how to present the news. The real liberal media, they're still pushing Nader. They think Obama is too much of a republican and that his policies aren't progressive enough.

The real liberal news sites bash on Obama, McCain, Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Cheney, Lieberman and so on. They want radical change when it comes to the environment, the prisons, and much more. My point is, republican voters shouldn't whine to much, the stars we have as democrats, they're really not that different. I mean sure they tend to be pro choice and anti torture, but besides monsters, who isn't?

And independence in 2013. The last adminstrations stripped us of some liberties, so how can you possible be as dense as to think another republican wouldn't do the same?

You can thank the republicans for some freedom. Their mistakes played a role in some being free from employment ;)....

As for Ollie..

I'm pretty sure he's with Spidey and the Dragon...

If you want a batshit republican.. there's always Rorschach.
    Current Pull List: The Walking Dead and Revival

Quote Originally Posted by Deviancy View Post
    The media merely goes with the stories that the majority are fond of.

Besides, if the media is making Obama out to be a liberal, that just proves they really have no idea how to present the news. The real liberal media, they're still pushing Nader. They think Obama is too much of a republican and that his policies aren't progressive enough.

The real liberal news sites bash on Obama, McCain, Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Cheney, Lieberman and so on. They want radical change when it comes to the environment, the prisons, and much more. My point is, republican voters shouldn't whine to much, the stars we have as democrats, they're really not that different. I mean sure they tend to be pro choice and anti torture, but besides monsters, who isn't?

And independence in 2013. The last adminstrations stripped us of some liberties, so how can you possible be as dense as to think another republican wouldn't do the same?

You can thank the republicans for some freedom. Their mistakes played a role in some being free from employment ;)....

As for Ollie..

I'm pretty sure he's with Spidey and the Dragon...

If you want a batshit republican.. there's always Rorschach.

Ahhh, more intelligent discourse on the internet....does my heart good.

By the way, which President was in office when the deregulation of the Banking industry occurred?

Which President was in office when the regulatory powers of the SEC were reduced?

Which party was in power in the congress over the last two years.

Barney Frank, who said that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were in no danger of crumbling, which party is he a member of?

And I have no problems sacrificing some freedoms as long as another 9/11 never occurs. But then again I had friends in the Twin Towers when they were destroyed. They never found the bodies of my friends, they were vaporized.

It's easy to talk about Freedom and how you've lost some of yours, you'll lose a a hell of a lot more if the war in Afghanistan suddenly opens a new front in New Jersey, or Texas.

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

And who was the president when 9/11 did happen?

And who was the president when Fannie and Freddie fell?

And who was the one who was in charge when the auto industry hit rock bottom?

And who was in charge when the levys in New Orleans failed?

And whose bright idea was it to hit Iraq when the men responsible for 9/11 weren't from Iraq?

And who manipulated the public into believing there were wmd's?

And who thought it was a bright idea to bring back the ban on funding international family planning facilities if they were pro abortion and contraceptives?

And who thought it was a bright idea to cut funding on stem cell research?

I mean the list goes on and on and on, the neo con era was a disaster on every level.

As for Clinton, he may not be a hero in my book. But we had one minor botched terrorist attack during his term ;). He didn't shove pseudo morality down the throat of others, he wasn't backed by tons of rabid christians, and we had our freedoms.

And for me.. I'd rather have my freedoms and less security than an over abdundance of false security.

Don't try to sell me that whole "if we don't fight them over there we'll have to fight them over here" bs..

I didn't buy that eight years ago, and I'm not looking to buy it now.

Sorry about your friends though..

But here's the thing my friend..

I've had over a dozen friends lose their lives by getting shot in the street. While Bush waged an unjust war in Iraq, we continued to see the cities become more infested with crime. Gang violence rose higher than ever, youth violence rose higher than ever, and the socio economic issue in the lower income areas has become absurd.

Every fucking day we have people dying in the street. So maybe rather than shelling out billions on a war elsewhere, promising them democracy, maybe we should instead be shelling out billions within our own country, beefing up the schools, pushing for better education and sadly, and putting more into local law enforcement, and community programs that have been shown to help somewhat. And maybe instead of preaching false morality about how gays shouldn't marry, or how abortion is bad, maybe the neo cons should instead use that time to help the children that are born in this country with very little, but are ignored by the same people who claim abortion is all that is unholy.

Personally, I think the repugs have had it for at least eight years.

It depends on the young voters that came out to play. If they stay enchanted with Obama, the right are going to be powerless. It's usually old farts that are the republicans core fanbase, and they're dying out.. tsk.. tsk...
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 01-27-2009 at 08:25 PM.
    Current Pull List: The Walking Dead and Revival