Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: THE OSBORN SUPREMACY: Dark Avengers

With "Dark Avengers" #1 in stores now, CBR News speaks with writer Brian
    Michael Bendis about the key Dark Reign title and what readers can
    expect from the series as it goes forward.

Full article here.

I disagree with that part of Bendis interview: Osborn wasn't a weapons designer he was a chemist, founder of Osborn Chemicals. The weapons designer comes from Sam Raimi's film.
    But I guess you couls say that the creator of the Green Goblin and his armament fits the bill as a "weapons designer".

Sounds like he's aping Thunderbolts. I'll to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernorhythm View Post
    Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. The book was fantastic.

The Way-Out Cat,Dig? Kissyboots's Avatar

This is taking Thunderbolts to the next level. This isn't Screaming Mimi calling herself Songbird. This is Venom pretending he's Spider-Man. Dark Avengers is much much more ballsier than Thunderbolts.

It sounds exactly like that:

Another element that Brian Bendis plans to explore in “Dark Avengers” is how doing good and being heroic can affect villainous people. “I think some of the team have never experienced what it felt like to do something good and then have the response of someone saying, 'Thank you,'” the writer explained. “I don't think really anyone has said thank you to these people. It's like, 'Thank you? Really? I like this better than that other feeling.'”
    That's almost verbatim Kurt Busiek when discussing TBolts vol. 1 way back in the day.

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

If Brian wants to write The Thunderbolts, he really should have just asked.

It's not like anyone's going to stop him.
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude

I like where this book is heading.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    If Brian wants to write The Thunderbolts, he really should have just asked.

It's not like anyone's going to stop him.
    True that...Dark Avengers is just the original T-Bolts on steroids.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Saving the world by song Red_Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    True that...Dark Avengers is just the original T-Bolts on steroids.
    Completely right. But how is that bad?AFAIK, everyone on here loved the T-Bolts, so why not take them to the next level? I mean, this team really only had two options: Going up or going down. Both would be fun to witness, but having them go down would end the story. This development opens up a plethora of new story possibilties (which forces me consider picking up DA & NA... Curse you, Marvel! )

As someone already pointed it, we have entered a whole new world now. Up until now, Norman and his band of misfits were very much a necessary evil, at least to the government and S.H.I.E.L.D. Now, they are S.H.I.E.L.D. That's quite something. Marvel is showing that they have the balls to do with Norman what DC was afraid to do with President Lex; -- allow him to "f" crap up. That's great in my book!

Thunderbolts = lame team, name. Seriously I've always wondered how they came up with such a lame name, anyone know?

Dark Avengers while not original does sound cool. That sounds like the main difference, but correct me if I'm wrong the Thunderbolts book is still ongoing, they didn't cancel it? If so they should have because they're basically the same book and will compete with each other, dark obviously winning.
    FAdam K- How do you read comics and sit around on this board and not know who Gorilla Man is after the last couple of years??

Boycott #1 issues!!!!!

Where is red hulk's moustache?

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Knight View Post
    Completely right. But how is that bad?AFAIK, everyone on here loved the T-Bolts, so why not take them to the next level? I mean, this team really only had two options: Going up or going down. Both would be fun to witness, but having them go down would end the story. This development opens up a plethora of new story possibilties (which forces me consider picking up DA & NA... Curse you, Marvel! )

As someone already pointed it, we have entered a whole new world now. Up until now, Norman and his band of misfits were very much a necessary evil, at least to the government and S.H.I.E.L.D. Now, they are S.H.I.E.L.D. That's quite something. Marvel is showing that they have the balls to do with Norman what DC was afraid to do with President Lex; -- allow him to "f" crap up. That's great in my book!
    Yeah Marvel is taking risks . . . and by making dark a new comic it's risks with money involved.
    FAdam K- How do you read comics and sit around on this board and not know who Gorilla Man is after the last couple of years??

Boycott #1 issues!!!!!

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by satchmo the dragon View Post
    Dark Avengers while not original does sound cool. That sounds like the main difference, but correct me if I'm wrong the Thunderbolts book is still ongoing, they didn't cancel it? If so they should have because they're basically the same book and will compete with each other, dark obviously winning.
    No, the two books have few to nothing to do with each other. Thunderbolts it's Norman's personal hit squad, off the books, to do his dirty work.

You could say that Osborn is to the main MU what Cyclops is now to the X-books; Dark Avengers is his X-men, the team he appears in public and leads in the field, while Thunderbolts it's Norman's X-force, the team he only leads from behind the scenes and it's there to do the work that would cause problems with the public. Of course there are several obvious differences, such as Norman being a psycho pretending to be a hero while Cyke is the real deal, or Osborn acting in his own benefit only while Scott is acting for the good of mutantkind, etc.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&¨%!

Donald M.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    No, the two books have few to nothing to do with each other. Thunderbolts it's Norman's personal hit squad, off the books, to do his dirty work.

You could say that Osborn is to the main MU what Cyclops is now to the X-books; Dark Avengers is his X-men, the team he appears in public and leads in the field, while Thunderbolts it's Norman's X-force, the team he only leads from behind the scenes and it's there to do the work that would cause problems with the public. Of course there are several obvious differences, such as Norman being a psycho pretending to be a hero while Cyke is the real deal, or Osborn acting in his own benefit only while Scott is acting for the good of mutantkind, etc.
    I see what you're saying. I wonder what the discussions were like at marvel where they decided to take such a risk of elevating Osborn to Cyclops status. I mean they gave Lex Luthor power in DC but Osborn has to comic books where he is the leader of teams. I mean why Osborn and not some other major villain such as Doc Doom?

Boycott #1 issues!!!!!

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by satchmo the dragon View Post
    I see what you're saying. I wonder what the discussions were like at marvel where they decided to take such a risk of elevating Osborn to Cyclops status. I mean they gave Lex Luthor power in DC but Osborn has to comic books where he is the leader of teams. I mean why Osborn and not some other major villain such as Doc Doom?
    Well, Osborn has easily more influence in the MU in general than Cyclops has among mutants; partially because of the structure of HAMMER and his political power, partially because everyone knows he'll just kill anyone that disagrees and enjoy it.

Anyway, Dr. Doom is already worldwide known as a villain, to the point he's the symbol of it in the MU. He and some other villains, like say, Magneto or Kang, are just too well known in the 616 to get a position like this (even if made sense for the characters). Plus, he's the ruler of Latveria, getting the position of director of an American government agency just wouldn't make sense.

Osborn, however, was more of a street level villain, not a global threat, and was mostly known for trying to kill Spider-Man, whom nobody likes anyway. Plus, add it to the fact he gained popularity in Thunderbolts (both in the MU and the real world), I could see why Marvel would want him to be the villain in charge.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&¨%!

Donald M.