Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Owning your own comic company

I want to publish and distribute my own comics-what steps does it take to start your own company?

Considering what Diamond just announced, don't even think about it. Best to avoid the impossible.

BANNED

$$ money $$

Default hhmmm

I wish I can sound a bit optimistic but the truth is you need a lot of money with an awareness of knowing that in the beginning you will not make any money. also if you want to do this, best thing to do is to apply at marvel and do some work for them and somehow make a name for your self. This step is very important. if not it wont make any difference on how good you are "NO" one will buy anything from you unless they know who you are. If you do somehow get your name out and get some sort of exposure it then becomes a bit easier to sell your own stuff. I hope this helped in someway...sorry for the news!

i've done everything from the ground up and i didn't go the easier way of making a name for myself through marvel and dc.

if you really want to do this...it's time-consuming beyond belief, self-sacrificing, takes A LOT of money (and with financing the way it is right now, it's hard to near impossible to come by any), and in the first 3 years it will be an almost guaranteed loss of money.

right now, i'd suggest putting up your own comics in webcomic form, build an audience that way, and then self publish your own work through print on demand. do a few conventions and see if you can get some store signings going - then reevaluate your situation before you get in too deep.

always reevaluate to make sure you're moving forward - that's the most important part. it's an extremely uphill fight and it takes a lot more than sheer will to break even - let alone make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by AlternaPete View Post
    right now, i'd suggest putting up your own comics in webcomic form, build an audience that way, and then self publish your own work through print on demand. do a few conventions and see if you can get some store signings going - then reevaluate your situation before you get in too deep.
    i have no first hand experience, but i was gonna suggest pretty much the same thing

keep your day job, save as much money as you can.

it would probably help to take as many classes and read as many books as you can relating to publishing, business, art & writing, web design, marketing & sales, and so on.

finish a comic and get it online.

get a deviant art, get a flickr, get a myspace, get your own website as a home for your comic. promote the hell out of not only your comic but your art, website, and writing in general everywhere you can.

either finance yourself, borrow from family, get a loan, cash in your savings, or whatever and get about 300 copies of your comic printed. send free copies to popular comic reviewers online. maybe to some indie comic creators with blogs too. it never hurts to have someone with a following say they liked your comic in their blog.

get your lcs, your local record store, all the trendy bookstores, coffeeshops, juicebars, or anywhere else to carry your book, even if only one issue, even if it is discounted to the point of not even covering cost. just get SOMEONE reading it, online or in print.

and of course make a presence at conventions.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

We just launched a couple weeks ago. Started from scratch and like one poster mentioned, we don't plan to make a profit for a few years so we're taking it slow and following the basics, sending out for reviews, pimping the books as much as possible and keeping a low overhead.

It's not a futile venture as much as others may suggest, it's all about patience and your business savvy. I have a few years of marketing and corporate management under my belt, including running another small press for a couple years. So I have some basics needed to stay afloat for a while. Hopefully our comics catch on with our intended demographic and we continue to release new issues. That's all we can hope for and don't have lofty expectations...yet :)

Good luck!

Our website: www.patchworkcomics.com

I own my own company, Beach Creative Studios, Inc. I have been running it for five years now, first it started off as a sole propreitorship to publish my own indy comic book Crozonia. Then I started getting some clients for creative services. I did a lot of work for Mattel, Hasbro, and Spin Master. And in general the illustration jobs pay a lot more than Marvel or DC. I've saved up the money earned while slowly and quitely producing an issue of Crozonia once a year. I also licensed the right to publish an artbook based on the CGI animated series ReBoot in 2007. I incorporated last year as I projected the future growth of my company.

Now I'm ready to make more noise. Getting Crozonia distributed through Diamond. You can preorder in February and the first issue arrives in April. I also have another licensed comic book soon to be announced and create some more buzz. That's my story. Oh, and btw, I still have a day job as a VFX artist for movies. So it's been a long hard road so far, but I've gained some traction. Don't dive in head first, dip your toes.

You can find out more about crozonia at
    http://www.crozonia.com/crozonia

Regards,
    Jim Su

Quote Originally Posted by AlternaPete View Post
    i've done everything from the ground up and i didn't go the easier way of making a name for myself through marvel and dc.

if you really want to do this...it's time-consuming beyond belief, self-sacrificing, takes A LOT of money (and with financing the way it is right now, it's hard to near impossible to come by any), and in the first 3 years it will be an almost guaranteed loss of money.

always reevaluate to make sure you're moving forward - that's the most important part. it's an extremely uphill fight and it takes a lot more than sheer will to break even - let alone make a profit.
    You guys are doing better now though right? Anytime I see companies no longer accepting submissions I think they're doing good.

thanks for the concerns! yeah we're definitely better off with each passing year and we're making headway in all the areas we want to be in - but it definitely still takes a ton of work and sacrifice. there's no 'staff' of people here or anything along those lines. just a lot of deranged creators supporting each other and feeling the need to toil away making funny books with panel drawings

Hey Pete, I wish Alterna all the best. I have purchased 3 of your titles and am rooting for you guys. Personally I was disappointed when you stopped accepting submissions, but hey, every company has to have a cut off point. Let me know if that door ever opens again, it looks like I'll be shopping Lifespan around come February.

You can always go through comixpess and indyplanet. They are options some people tend to lean towards

Quote Originally Posted by suttercain View Post
    Hey Pete, I wish Alterna all the best. I have purchased 3 of your titles and am rooting for you guys. Personally I was disappointed when you stopped accepting submissions, but hey, every company has to have a cut off point. Let me know if that door ever opens again, it looks like I'll be shopping Lifespan around come February.

thanks for the support! right now our entire 2009 schedule is full - that's mostly why we stopped accepting submissions. i started seeing that a lot of creative teams fell apart when they had to wait too long, so that's why we stopped accepting submissions. it would be counter productive to accept submissions for 2010 or beyond when so much can happen between that time. it's just not right to have people waiting that long. look for submissions for 2010 to start opening up again around june/july this year.

lifespan looks great! were you planning on putting it out as a complete graphic novel? if so, you'd be able to send it our way. i see it's in color though and while it looks great this way - the best we could do would be to print it up in either grayscale or with one spot-color in the book. this might not be what you're intending for the book. either way though, if you're still looking for a publisher come june/july send it my way and we'll see what we can do.

BANNED

Someone told me:

As for starting your own store, the only real advice I can give you is may sure you have atleast 10,000.00 for start up, you're not going to have a large clientel when you first open and you'll have to pay the bills somehow if you open a store, which I don't recommend if you're starting from the ground up, it's overly expensive and not worth the initial headaches. I really recommend doing things through the internet to get started, that way you have very little overhead and can still hold down another job while getting eveything started. And you'll hopefully see things build from that point.

And this person said:

"Actually I am an artist. I also own an independent comic company, and we create numerous comic characters."

So you're also an independent publisher as well as a store?

How does that work-you create your characters, write and create your comics and then sell them?

Be sure to create a small print run. It's easier to copyright.