Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Best: Superman: The Movie (especially for the first 50 minutes) & Superman II: The Donner cut
    Watchable: Superman Returns
    Guilty Pleasure: Superman IV
    Worst: Superman III

Best - Superman: The Movie
    Worst - Superman Returns

I think Superman II is great as well, but Superman: TM just edges it out for me. Superman Returns, however, not only made yet another boring Superman movie given all the effects that the old movies didn't have, but it also butchered the prospect of a fun Superman movie in a similar vein as what came before it.

Superman II edges out the original as the best because so much more is at stake. Superman's failure would have meant total enslavement of the human race at the hands of Zod, Ursa, and Non. Lex's "evil" plan in Superman: The Movie was also stupid -- it involved killing some of the wealthiest people in America, and then trying to make a fortune selling real estate!

Superman IV takes the worst spot because it fails on so many levels -- special effects, logic, and filming locations. The special effects created a decade earlier for the original movie look better than what the filmmakers put into The Quest for Peace. Even though Superman IV is about a flying man in tights, it doesn't make sense to see humans breathing and surviving in space and Superman pushing the moon. Shooting most of the film in England didn't hurt Superman: The Movie, but the makers of Superman IV didn't do enough to make English locations look like the United States.

My problem with Superman Returns is that it brought back the wrong villain. Lex Luthor in another real-estate scheme that again kills the wealthiest Americans (and his target market) isn't much of a threat compared to the alternative Bryan Singer had at hand. Can you imagine what a re-powered and unrestrained Zod would have been able to do for the five years Superman was off planet? Kidnapped Superman's child? That Superman Returns would have been very dark, but potentially much better than what we got.

Best: It's a toss up between Superman: The Movie and Superman II (both cuts)

Worst: I would say Superman IV could be considered the worst but it's so bad and silly it has rewatch value unlike...

Least Rewatchable: Superman Returns, which in a way makes it much worse than both III and IV in my book
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Best: It's a toss up between Superman: The Movie and Superman II (both cuts)

Worst: I would say Superman IV could be considered the worst but it's so bad and silly it has rewatch value unlike...

Least Rewatchable: Superman Returns, which in a way makes it much worse than both III and IV in my book
    I guess I'm one of those few people who actually liked Superman IV. Nuclear Man just etched himself into one of those hard to forget, enjoyable moments for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    I guess I'm one of those few people who actually liked Superman IV. Nuclear Man just etched himself into one of those hard to forget, enjoyable moments for me.
    Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy IV but in a so bad it's go.... erm.. entertaining way. More enjoyable than Returns IMO
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

The best was Superman II. No contest for me. The worst was Superman III. Quest for Peace is actually on the "so bad, it's kinda enjoyable" category, whereas III was just blah. Returns was simply very disappointing. What would I like to see from a new Superman movie? Man of Steel is shaping up to be just the fix many superfans seem to be needing, myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    Right?

I'm starting a list of anyone who doesn't pick it as the worst. And I am gonna keep my eye on those people.

SEAN
    Or maybe, you can just accept people have different tastes or opinions? Instead of wasting time making a list?

Just saying

The original is the best. Quest For Peace is the worst. It edges out III because III at least had the Superman/Clark fight.

II was great but incorporated too much of Lester's trademark camp into Donner's story, that would eventually engulf part III. SR was, in the end, just a lot of mediocre.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-03-2013 at 07:55 PM.

They go in order of release for me.
    STM-love it except for cold Krypton, no Superboy and ending is stupid.
    II -great except for again bad Krypton and bad ending.
    III stupid but the junkyard fight is fantasic
    IV great premise, horrid effects, if there was some real money spent it could have been good
    Returns - no interest in a lame remake of STM and there was just so many other things wrong.

My other issue with the Donner/Reeve series is they made Lois more important to Superman than humanity. That's completely wrong, and part of why he never married Lois in the classic continuity was his devotion to duty. Or that was one of his excuses, the real reason he hesitated is because he knew how painful watching her grow old and die would be.

Even with the bad costume and the (maybe) callous Jonathan Kent, I expect MOS to be better than III-Returns. Will it top I or II, which it is basically a remake of? Who knows.
    Last edited by Kurosawa; 02-03-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Superman the Movie extended tv version is the best (dont remember the running length but its the longest version of the film available and has more footage of the superheroics as well as Krypton, etc). The worst was Superman IV.

I guess I'll throw it in there....

Soon to be the best: Man of Steel

Worst is Superman IV by a miles.

Best is probably Superman II, but I really enjoy Superman III as well.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    I guess I'll throw it in there....

Soon to be the best: Man of Steel
    A wait and see but promising.

I'd say Superman 1 and returns are tied as best. And 3 and 4 are just terrible but 4 might be just a little worse.