Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Best 100 Comics of 2008, Part I

As the year draws to a close, your CBR staff presents their picks for the Best 100
    Comics of 2008, including titles from Marvel Comics, Top Shelf, IDW, Image, DC,
    Oni, VIz and more. In this installment, check out items #100-81.

Full article here.

Karma ran over Dogma grphxkindaguy's Avatar

Thumbs down

wow, some of the choices here IMO were mind-bogglingly bad.

Astonishing X-Men? Green Arrow/Black Canary? JLA? GI Joe: America's Elite? New Avengers?

WTF, were there so few good comics that came out this year, that these had to be chosen?!?

I'm looking forward to the whole list, I'm sure I'll pick up a few books off of it. I've been looking for ideas for new stuff to check out.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

I don't like this list. I would have rather seen a best single-issue of 2008 list instead (like All-Star Superman #9), instead of best titles of the year.

This list as it stands tells me nothing.

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Green Arrow/Black Canary is higher on the list than Berlin: City of Smoke?
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Neo Evangelical Geniuses bebopeva88's Avatar

How the heck is Local so low?

Astonishing X-Men is also too low, despite the drop off from the Whedon/Cassaday run (and I realize the ranking is based on a bit of both -- Giant-Size AXM, and the Ellis issues).
    "It's pretty much as bebopeva88 says really. He is wise and the knower of all things!" -- Ben Templesmith

"Your opinion is like 10 mortal men's." Ė RolandJP

I love these kinds of lists. There are far too many titles out there for me to buy but this way I learn about ones that I almost missed. Next week when I go to my LCS I'll have a look at Salt Water Taffy, Too Cool to be Forgotten and Berlin: City of Smoke.

I just think 100 titles are a bit too much.

Scale it down to 25...

Sure...Astonishing X-Men makes lists everywhere. It almost didn't with me until Uncle Warren created the Ghost Box...but iDigress...

There is a lot of good stuff out there. And we all need to spread the word to get people in the stores to buy not just the DC/MARVEL stuff.

I hope this makes the top 10 not just the Top 25 is Warren Ellis' BLACK SUMMER. Wow...post-deconstructionalist superhero comic. Would Batman have Tom's nobility and what would her name be?

What Grant Morrison makes this grand list of 100...ahem All of 'em??? If I had 25 picks or less...I'd have to scale it down to One Grant Title. Which One??? This is like Sophie's Choice!!! Would it be Final Crisis? Batman? All-Star Superman? The Doctor Who reissues???

What did I love that was NOT DC/MARVEL superheroes?
    INFINITE HORIZON on Image. The modern-day retelling of Homer's The Odyssey? Wow. This is good...and half-done. Maybe it'll get more notice in '09.

I dunno. 100 is a lot. The point is to judge...and to be narrow. To be critical!

"He who knows best knows how little he knows" -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by grphxkindaguy View Post
    wow, some of the choices here IMO were mind-bogglingly bad.

Astonishing X-Men? Green Arrow/Black Canary? JLA? GI Joe: America's Elite? New Avengers?

WTF, were there so few good comics that came out this year, that these had to be chosen?!?
    Dude, did you not read the post? There's another 80 comics yet to be featured.
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

Yeah, seems to me being #96 on a top 100 list of titles, not individual issues, ain't much of an accomplishment. Just means someone read the damn book.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

I call bullshit already on this list.
    Jonah Hex.....83rd? You must be joking. It is one of DC's better monthly titles and it still gets the shaft. Also, the Local HC should've been higher....it's a piece of wonderful prose that more people should read.

100 comics is a tad high...should've been 50.
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

So is manga deliberately omited? This is list is English language only?

EDIT - never mind, I found the 1 title listed.
    Last edited by Kid Kyoto; 12-29-2008 at 05:59 PM.
    Ted Kord is Blue Beetle!
    Kyle Rainer is the one true Green Lantern!
    Wally West is the Flash!
    Donna Troy is Wonder Girl!

The Newer 52! Coming in Summer 2014

Opinionated Jerk

Quote Originally Posted by DubipR View Post
    I call bullshit already on this list.
    Jonah Hex.....83rd? You must be joking. It is one of DC's better monthly titles and it still gets the shaft. Also, the Local HC should've been higher....it's a piece of wonderful prose that more people should read.

100 comics is a tad high...should've been 50.
    it's not one of DC's better monthlies. it's one of the comic industry's better monthlies. should have been top 50, at least. it's in my personal top 10.

Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

The "problem" is that the best books got the vast majority of the votes, so what you're seeing for the first #100-60 or so books on the countdown are the ones that were, like, the 10th favorite book by one voter.

When you're asked to do a Top 10 list, Jonah Hex ain't making it.

If you were to do a Top 50 list, it likely would.

But because each voter was doing a Top 10 list, likely only one or two voters put Jonah Hex at the back end of their Top 10, hence its poor showing. Likewise, likely one voter out there put Green Arrow/Black Canary on their list at the back of their Top 10 list.

The only way to avoid such a turn out would be to have everyone do, like, a Top 30 or so, but that would be asking a lot from the voters.

So take the first 50 or so books with a grain of salt.

Now the Top 20, THAT will actually be a consensus. I'm not saying it will be "correct," but it will at least be a real consensus of the voters.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bebopeva88 View Post
    How the heck is Local so low?

Astonishing X-Men is also too low, despite the drop off from the Whedon/Cassaday run (and I realize the ranking is based on a bit of both -- Giant-Size AXM, and the Ellis issues).
    Local is likely low because people didn't consider it a "2008" title.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!