Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 124
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    333

    Default Superman's power level

    Ok question. How ridiculous can comic book writers make superman in terms of uping his abilities or giving him new powers before fans start saying the following.

    1. That's just retarded their making him 2 damn strong.
    2. WTF what's next superman can resurrect the dead.
    3. Oh come on how the hell that's not right.

  2. #2
    SuperSingh kingsyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Walsall, England
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shonen View Post
    Ok question. How ridiculous can comic book writers make superman in terms of uping his abilities or giving him new powers before fans start saying the following.

    1. That's just retarded their making him 2 damn strong.
    2. WTF what's next superman can resurrect the dead.
    3. Oh come on how the hell that's not right.
    With all respect, i don't know what your talking about!
    I personally think his invulnerability is too diluted, and he fights like an amatuer sometimes.
    I don't think he's powerful enough!!
    He sould be portrayed as a god-like superhero, but he barely ever shows it.
    I'm mean look at that atlas/superman fight, That was just f**king stupid!

    All this "Superman's too powerful" stuff is kinda old now. He's not like that anymore.
    I think its the other way round actually (a little bit).
    Thats just my opinion.

  3. #3
    Power with girl is better Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingsyn View Post
    With all respect, i don't know what your talking about!
    I personally think his invulnerability is too diluted, and he fights like an amatuer sometimes.
    I don't think he's powerful enough!!
    He sould be portrayed as a god-like superhero, but he barely ever shows it.
    I'm mean look at that atlas/superman fight, That was just f**king stupid!

    All this "Superman's too powerful" stuff is kinda old now. He's not like that anymore.
    I think its the other way round actually (a little bit).
    Thats just my opinion.
    Agree. The problem is he's just one of the boys now. Yeah one of the starting lineup boys but just one when he should be the most powerful.

    The funny thing is these 'His power level is ridiculous' arguments only or mostly seem to apply to Superman. The Green Lanterns can wield vast cosmic powers, Black Adam can solo the entire DCU hero lineup, but when Superman gets powered up again, its suddenly ridiculous. If anything he's been absurdly powered down considering that 1. He's supposed to be friggin Superman. He's supposed to be the most powerful and B. It seems a lot of other heroes have gotten 'ridiculous' powerups. Heck, the Flash is ridiculously overpowered now and then there are the characters that are walking deus ex machinas. They can do anything if only they have prep and they always have prep because they just automatically thought of everything.

  4. #4
    Capt'n Tightpants rwe1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    To the OP:

    For your own sake, never read any pre-Crisis Superman stories.
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Truthfully, those overpowered Superman stories were good for that time, but as long as I don't have to see him pushing planets or destroying them with one punch, I'm fine with his current power level.

  6. #6
    From putty 2 orange Ontir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the Burnt Over State!
    Posts
    6,673

    Default

    I don't think it's a bad thing that Superman fights like an amateur. Skill isn't what he relies upon, it's raw power. Batman is the tactician and Wonder Woman the honed warrior. Superman shouldn't be a sensei.
    * *

    Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Agreed, he needs to learn as he goes along. Just because he has all these powers doesn't mean he has to also be the best warrior in the universe.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    551

    Default

    You'll always have someone saying "He's too strong!" unless he's portrayed as he was in Action comics no. 1. Likewise, you'll always have someone saying "He's not strong enough!" unless he's pulling a galaxy worth of planets on a chain or sneezing out solar systems.

    Personally I think that he should always be on the level as one of the most powerful heroes in DCverse but weak enough that any other high level hero (green lantern, martian manhunter, Wonder Woman) still has a decent chance against him in a 1 on 1 (especially those that can exploit his weaknesses). From there it's really just working out what setting you want your universe at. Do you want them moving planets or having trouble holding up buildings?

    One thing I don't get is why so many people complain about how broken the character is powerwise. Look around the DCverse and there are a number of heroes who either are just as powerful (if not moreso) or have some plot device power without having as many weaknesses and vulnerablities as superman has. If it was a complaint about the DCverse in general being too powerful then fine, I can accept that but how can you say Superman is too powerful when Green Lantern has a plot device ring that can do anything and has no weaknesses; Flash can run so fast that everyone else (including Superman) appears a statue when they cut loose, not to mention the multitude of abilities that no one else has any defence against (such as speedsteal, dimension dump, IMP); Capt. Marvel is often looked on as Superman's equal except for with no weaknesss to specific types of radiation or magic (infact this guy is powered by magic); martian manhunter has a slightly watered down powerset (slightly less speed and strength) compared to Supes but gets a lot more abilities to compensate that make him more versatile and more powerful and I haven't even got to guys like Firestorm or Jakeem Thunder yet. Superman is powerful at the moment, but he's surrounded by guys that are easily his equal and to be honest, I'm pretty alright with that.
    Last edited by livin_target; 12-26-2008 at 06:14 AM.

  9. #9
    SuperSingh kingsyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Walsall, England
    Posts
    109

    Default

    The reason why i thorght Superman should be the most powerful, without any equal is because everyone seems to look to him to save them. all the time.
    He's the first superhero that everyone (including other superheros) look to, to save the day.
    If he has other characters who are as powerful as him, then this would not be justified.
    It would make him a little none essential. Most superhero characters are modelled after Superman, i think he deserves to have no equal.

    I mean, to be honest, Superman has been "depowered" so much that i don't know why people can still refer to him as earth's champion. WW, for example seems much more effective as a hero. and as much as i adore WW (and i do), even i know it should'nt be like that.
    I wish writers would get over this fear of making him too powerful, and write him the way he should be.
    But again, that just my opinion.

  10. #10
    From putty 2 orange Ontir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the Burnt Over State!
    Posts
    6,673

    Default

    The thing about Superman's power level is that the writer has to find ways to circumvent them, either by using foes who are physically more powerful, or by finding ways to affect the man of steel by eliminating their use. If someone says "he's too powerful," they just lack imagination.
    * *

    Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

  11. #11
    Junior Member Abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    280

    Default

    The normal DCU Superman needs to borrow a page from Grant Morrison's All Star Superman. Supes is a God that thinks of himself as a man. And Luthor is a man that thinks himself as a God. Supes strength, and emotional impact from All Star Superman should be translated to the DCU.

  12. #12
    Marquis de carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belgium.
    Posts
    31,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingsyn View Post
    The reason why i thorght Superman should be the most powerful, without any equal is because everyone seems to look to him to save them. all the time.
    He's the first superhero that everyone (including other superheros) look to, to save the day.
    If he has other characters who are as powerful as him, then this would not be justified.
    I think that the main difference between Superman and most of his his equals (or as good as) in powerlevel, is that Superman is also has his charisma and leadership maxed out.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shonen View Post
    Ok question. How ridiculous can comic book writers make superman in terms of uping his abilities or giving him new powers before fans start saying the following.

    1. That's just retarded their making him 2 damn strong.
    2. WTF what's next superman can resurrect the dead.
    3. Oh come on how the hell that's not right.

    First, no disrespect but please be more clear on what you mean.

    Second, what's so ridiculous about this subject these days is that people are always trying to humanize (my made up word) SUPER heroes. Superman IS and will probably always be DC's front man...beside Batman and he's not super.

    So, I believe Superman should stand out above all the rest because he's supposed to be powerful and God-like...and no pun intended: Super.

    If you've not really followed the character as long as I have through the years...you can't really learn to appreciate and understand the character fully. Superman is so simple to understand but so many who pick up the comics turn him something he's not and immediately think he's too difficult. And in no way am I trying to start trouble here.

    Zack Snyder said recently he was approached a while back to do a Superman movie and he said refused because Superman was a "irrelevant character" and that "he didn't understand him at all." I was like huh? Superman is not really supposed to be relevant...he's supposed to be a symbol of hope and leader to a dark world.

    Once you take all those ideals of him sent to earth, growing up with a great family with great morals and values, discovering his destiny on earth, etc. he immediately becomes irrelevant.


    Just my two.

  14. #14
    Elder Member Mat001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by super_brandon25 View Post
    First, no disrespect but please be more clear on what you mean.
    Not everyone is that good a typer or good at writing in English. So you'll have to allow for some leeway.

    Second, what's so ridiculous about this subject these days is that people are always trying to humanize (my made up word) SUPER heroes. Superman IS and will probably always be DC's front man...beside Batman and he's not super.

    So, I believe Superman should stand out above all the rest because he's supposed to be powerful and God-like...and no pun intended: Super.

    If you've not really followed the character as long as I have through the years...you can't really learn to appreciate and understand the character fully. Superman is so simple to understand but so many who pick up the comics turn him something he's not and immediately think he's too difficult. And in no way am I trying to start trouble here.

    Zack Snyder said recently he was approached a while back to do a Superman movie and he said refused because Superman was a "irrelevant character" and that "he didn't understand him at all." I was like huh? Superman is not really supposed to be relevant...he's supposed to be a symbol of hope and leader to a dark world.

    Once you take all those ideals of him sent to earth, growing up with a great family with great morals and values, discovering his destiny on earth, etc. he immediately becomes irrelevant.


    Just my two.
    The problem is that too many people have a hard time understanding someone whose motives are pure, noble and selfless. Someone who isn't as complex as Batman or Spider-Man. It's hard to believe in someone who is like Superman. People have trouble wrapping their minds around someone like this. Back when the first film came out in 78, one reporter asked Gene Hackman if they thought that Superman was still relevant given all the scandal from Watergate and Vietnam. When you look out in the world, not everyone is so selfless and pure like Superman. That's where relevancy comes in.

    As to his power levels, the thing is that too many see certain interpetations where he juggles planets and can only be taken down by Kryptonite. They cannot buy into that because if Superman were real, there wouldn't be any point in having other superheroes because he'd be everywhere. And unfortunately, his enemies haven't made the same impact that Batman and Spider-Man's had. They could beat him up, just as he could take them down. Superman's enemies are the Toyman and Prankster, which makes it difficult for people to accept them as a threat. Short of Darkseid and the Phantom Zoners, these fans who complain don't look beneath the surface to see the truth.

  15. #15
    From putty 2 orange Ontir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the Burnt Over State!
    Posts
    6,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    The normal DCU Superman needs to borrow a page from Grant Morrison's All Star Superman. Supes is a God that thinks of himself as a man. And Luthor is a man that thinks himself as a God. Supes strength, and emotional impact from All Star Superman should be translated to the DCU.
    I entirely agree.
    * *

    Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •