Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Re-Reading Watchmen: Issue #1

In anticipation of Zack Snyder's film adaptation of "Watchmen," award-winning
    retailers Carr D’Angelo & Atom! Freeman re-read and provide commentary the
    classic Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons work, starting of course with chapter one.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    In anticipation of Zack Snyder's film adaptation of "Watchmen," award-winning
    retailers Carr D’Angelo & Atom! Freeman re-read and provide commentary the
    classic Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons work, starting of course with chapter one.
    Full article here.
    Well...my next tattoo is a panel from WATCHMEN but not until issue #7 so I can't talk about it yet.

I never had a problem with the original coloring. It's outrageous but it really framed the era it was published. I got a years-old WATCHMEN tpb with the original coloring...best $20 I've ever spent. Years of rereading. I remember WATCHMEN on the stands at the comic book store I frequented in '86. I remember having my mind blown by Rorsarch's interrogation. I was only a kid going on teenager. They call it a "tween" now. It was the comic book equivalent of Pink Floyd The Wall at that age.

'namaste...

"He who knows best knows how little he knows" -Thomas Jefferson

I love when the detectives walk past the civillian walter kovacs and one the them feels a shiver! while talking about Rorshach.

and the Red headed dude who walks past them is actually RORSHACH!.

Awesome
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Good stuff, guys. Kudos.

Chip
    BOOM!

Hey Atom!
    I know, I know, I'm late in posting to say you're a jerkbag ;D
    Seriously though it was a pleasure meeting you in person, and it was easy to see why Brave New World has won such acclaim with you at it's helm. I'm sure you'll see me dip in even more now. I really enjoyed waxing long with you the other day. (My name's Alex, I was the one who came in with the friend buying minis and I walked away gleefully with half-eaten Silver Surfer leftovers)

Now then, On topic.
    I was born in 1986 when Watchmen first came out and I had always seen it displayed prominently at Comic Book stores when I was growing up as a kid (Editor's Note: First Appearance at Brave New World. 'Nuff Said.)

But I hadn't ever thought too much about it until I grew up. I jumped into comics right around the crazy symbiote bloated crossovers of the 90s. Maximum Carnage was my flagship into comics, but it wasn't until Kingdom Come and Earth X in '96 and '97 that I finally got a taste for the graphic novel. And it wasn't until later still when I had received a copy of Watchmen by an older friend as a birthday present that I had finally finally read the book.

I think my perspective on the book is probably off-kilter than most having grown up ages after the book had originally come out, but I don't think I ever really took it for granted. I think maybe that I was just the right age to appreciate it for what it was instead of looking at it as "Oh this has all been done, already". Much like the I Love Lucy bit mentioned in this story, I was able to appreciate it as something greater because of it's age. It's like going to the library and finding some hidden mystical tome filed away, with some great secret inside. That's what it was like reading Watchmen for the first time, like it was some kind of secret treasure.

As I said before, I grew up with 90s comics as a norm and I had drifted out of comics during my teenage years but it was really the graphic novels like Kingdom Come and Watchmen that drew me in as a lifer. It inspired me to take higher level reading classes in school and as much as comics in the 90s were set ablaze as some kind of wasteland. I really did improve my reading comprehension by reading these stronger books.

I love, love, love all the appendices and prose in the back of every issue of Watchmen. There was always a constant battle between wanting to read the next issue right away and getting into the depth and foreshadowing of each appendix, but the appendix always won. I think there's a reason that Watchmen is hailed as "the graphic novel for people who have never read comics".

It really coins the term, "Graphic"-"Novel". It was just the depth in every issue, not just in the script and dialogue but the layers and layers of hints and foreshadowing in the imagery. As stated before, re-reading Watchmen after you've already read it lets you dive into those depths and you notice things you missed or dismissed the first time. It's very complex without being overbearing so it's easy to read for even a casual or new reader.

The format of the comic is something I was able to appreciate as well. Unlike comics today which have panels of all sizes, the steady grid system helped me immerse myself in something classic. When I first started reading Watchmen, I had absolutely NO idea what it was about or what I was getting myself into. I think that might be rare today, especially with the movie being so heavily promoted and coming out so soon. I thank The Power Cosmic, that I was able to dive in this way because here I was expecting some 8-color story and instead I have this grim and gritty story full of such incredible depth and character. It really blew me away. And as Atom stated in this article, "I had forgotten how powerful the 9-panel grid was when it gets broken for effect."
    Much like death in comics, splash pages in comics are so frequent in every issue of every comic today that you really lose the sense of power and wonder when that effect is utilized. There were so many moments in Watchmen where I almost literally lost my breath with a "Holy crap" moment.

It makes you feel bad when a double page spread of "Avengers Assemble!" doesn't quite get you pumped anymore. *rib*

After reading Watchmen now I am able to see modern comics in an entirely new light. It's like watching the original movie after you've seen the sloppy Hollywood remake. There's just no comparison, but when something truly sensational comes along, you can see that subtle nod to days of yore but you're able to take it and appreciate it just like that first secret treasure.
    Last edited by Ultrawolf; 12-21-2008 at 11:45 AM.
    "He did not formulate the law in clear, set terms and moralize about it.
    He did not even think the law... he merely lived the law without thinking about it at all." ~ Jack London, White Fang

A great conversational analysis by two of the best retailers, I know. A really good read, Carr and Atom! And always good to see a classic like this through someone else's eyes. Reminds me I need to reread this before the movie comes out as well...
    Filip Sablik
    Publisher
    Top Cow Productions

Get Artifacts Volume 1 Trade for only $10!

Quote Originally Posted by rev sully View Post
    I never had a problem with the original coloring.
    The original Watchmen colouring is one of the best colouring jobs I've ever seen.

I've flicked through the recent TPBs which (I think) use the new colouring and TBH I can't tell the difference.

"ooop" -Chemo, Infinite Crisis
    Last edited by rev sully; 12-23-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    The original Watchmen colouring is one of the best colouring jobs I've ever seen.

I've flicked through the recent TPBs which (I think) use the new colouring and TBH I can't tell the difference.
    Thanks!

Yeah...I lent my one trade paperback out about a dozen times. Once this friend of mine who moonlights as a critic for a trendy local newspaper (the kind with the bars & places to go, etc.)...Luke tells me he likes it although he's not thrilled with the coloring at all. In fact, it took away from his experience, he told me. I got him back into reading comics, he got me reading THE WALKING DEAD and DMZ. That's cool...so I know his opinion matters. There's a huge camp against the original coloring.

I for one loved the coloring. That it adds to it being "1985" in fact. 1985 matters...1985 was the year of the CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS. 1985 was when Christian Walker was Diamond alongside Retro Girl & Zora in POWERS. 1985 was when the Supervillians took over in the original WANTED by Mark Millar. When was THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS written? That's right...1985.
    Nonetheless with the original coloring, the Pirate Tale...ahhh...such basic tools but conveyed complete terror to me. The color was most exaggerated there. The coloring doesn't even matter for Hollis Mason's "Under The Hood". I think about the garage in that "Mousetrap" at my own job...how things are loose, then wickid serious and eventually business must carry on.

'namate...

Default So, I was wrong. A bit.

RE: The coloring.

I was looking at the re-issue of #1 that came out this month and it seems that the issue with green sugar cubes was noticed and changed.

The colors still looking dated though. ;)

-A!

Registration Withdrawn TROUBLEZ's Avatar

I got the re-release first issue.
    I never got a chance to read it as a single issue when it came out originally.

I wish they would have put a better cover on the re-issue. The black and yellow is kind of ugly, and the inner original cover might not grab the casuals and movie people who might be the target for this.

I wonder if people reading this in the 80s thought that every comic in the 90s and 2000s would be like this? I don't mean the violence and seriousness, but the innovativeness like the text pieces from the "book," the panel lay out, the detailed dialogue and story.

It seems the only thing mainstream writers and artists are trying to do is mimic the "mature" themes (violence) and making all the superheroes morally flawed, and have every story be some big, multi chapter event.

Vader Is My Homeboy thebhamgunslinger's Avatar

Why is DC only re-releasing the first issue? Why not reissue the entire series in single issues? That would be fun.

I'd guess there wouldn't be the demand

I still have my smiley face button with the drop of blood on it that I bought long ago.

One of the best comics I have ever read. I had hopes for the 12 to be like it but that is fading.